Thread: Hong Kong-Style High-Angle Smooth Plane - Good?

Hong Kong-Style High-Angle Smooth Plane - Good?

I need a smoothing plane. Like a Stanley #4. Or should I be adventurous?

I am looking at a "
    Hong Kong-Style High-Angle Smooth Plane" at Lee Valley or Japan Woodworker (I think they are the same plane) for about the cost of a Hock blade & chip-breaker for the Stanley. I read a comparison test of a variety of different types of planes on various woods (shocker - the $2700 plane was the best!) that rated this plane (or one sounding identical) near the top. Could this unconventional (to me) approach actually be as good or better?

I am an advanced novice who enjoys learning. I have a vast depth of ignorance plus a Stanley block plane, a #5, and plan to get a #7.
    1. Would it be a nice break for the hands and mind to change the motion completely for the final step, the smoothing or polishing?
    2. Would the results be comparable?
    3. Will the blades require constant sharpening compared to a stock Stanley or to an upgraded blade from Lie-Nelsen or Hock?
    4. What are the big questions that I'm too dumb to even realize I should be asking?
    Thanks for reading this far!
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Yes Doug, they really are as good as the test showed.

The high angle polish plane, the exact one you are referring to, is one of my absolutely indispensable planes. I work with a lot of exotics and difficult grain, and this one works very well when no others will. This is also true sometimes on plain old straight grain white oak that for some reason just won't work with regular angle planes.

The cutting edge is A2 steel. Holds an edge for a long time. Much longer than my Stanleys and as long as the Hock plane on my home-made block plane.

The only question I keep asking is "Why don't more people try this amazingly good, inexpensive, beautiful, hard working, effective plane?"
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

And furthermore…

If you have an extra $25, get one of these at the same time:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41182,46334

It is a high angle block plane from the same family of planes.

No affiliation to the store or the products, except as a satisfied user.

I have that little one. It is too tiny for me to hold. I would just buy the larger one. I would buy a regular angle one too. Actually, I bought some of the replacement blades and made bodies for them. I think a block body is just as comfortable to my deformed planing style as the lowrider style is. I like the blades very much. 10-15$ for a decent blade can't be beat.

I purchased this plane last summer to work with figured maple and it handles it astoundingly well. I'm not very experienced with wooden planes yet I found it a pleasure to work with right out of the box. The angle is so steep that it requires a bit more effort than typical smoothers, so it might not be the plane of choice for all woods, but there're times when it's definitely the one I reach for.

I've got the little one too and love it. Takes wispy air-like shavings from the toughest of grain. I would love to have a larger one though.

Doug, looking back at your original post, the Hong Kong High Angle Smoother probably is best alongside another smoother with a standard angle. I usually use the high angle and a rehabbed #4 as needed.

Before I wrote this I sharpened my iron on the regular angle rosewood smooth plane and it works excellently. That one is $32 at Japan Woodworker. It also has the A2 blade.

http://japanwoodworker.com/product.a...&dept_id=13602

Brian