Thread: Band saw vibration

Band saw vibration

I bought a 18" steel city band saw. I just mounted it a mobile base and got the 220 to it where it will be permanently. I bolted it to the mobile base so it is nice and solid and fees stable but I get a fair amount of vibration enough to shake the light, not enough to really effect a cut but maybe annoying trying to make a fine band saw box with a thin blade. I can’t tell where it is coming from. Is everyone’s else like this or are they more vibration free. Also the saw is not quite level could that be a problem? What should I look for?
    -=Jason=-

Jason... there will be some vibration. You just cant spin all that iron and not have some vibration. What you are trying to do is minimize it. Have you checked your wheels for balance? Thats a good source for vibration. Also check the belt. Is it a "V" belt or ridged like the newer table saws? V belts can be bad, link belts are better. Is your mobile base sitting on all 4 wheels? Does it have anchors? Do you use them when you get your saw into place? Any of thses things will cause vibration.

One thing I have found when making bandsawn boxes is to take your thin blade, turn it upside down on the saw(so the teeth point up) and stone the set off of the teeth. This will take away the small ridges that the blade makes, that look like vibration causes.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Question

I have a question related to this issue. I am interested in the possibility of installing a link belt for my 18" Rikon bandsaw. I have not yet looked to see what type of belt is on it currently, but will a link belt work, regardless of whether there is a "v" belt or ridged belt on it now?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Towns View Post
    I have a question related to this issue. I am interested in the possibility of installing a link belt for my 18" Rikon bandsaw. I have not yet looked to see what type of belt is on it currently, but will a link belt work, regardless of whether there is a "v" belt or ridged belt on it now?

John
    John... A link belt is designed to replace a V belt. You wont be able to replace a ridged belt with a link belt. The reason behind the ridged belt is that they wont take a "set" like a V belt, so you dont really need the link belt.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

1. Check your pulley alignment. If the motor drive pulley is out of alignment with the driven pulley in either axis, it will cause a vibration.

2. Check your belt tension. Too much or too little tension can cause vibration.

3. Check upper wheel alignment. Back off the upper rear guide bearing. The blade should stay centered in the guides. If the upper wheel is tilted too far back at the top, it can cause a vibration.

thnx, jack vines

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Vines View Post
    1. Check your pulley alignment. If the motor drive pulley is out of alignment with the driven pulley in either axis, it will cause a vibration.

2. Check your belt tension. Too much or too little tension can cause vibration.

3. Check upper wheel alignment. Back off the upper rear guide bearing. The blade should stay centered in the guides. If the upper wheel is tilted too far back at the top, it can cause a vibration.

thnx, jack vines
    ...../ and run the bandsaw without the blade installed.

For additional information have a look at ~ Bandsaws and Blades information sites
    Tony Ward

I cut up a neoprene mouse pad into 4 sections. I placed a piece under each corner of my bandsaw. I found that neoprene helped reduce vibration. I put the leveling Great Lakes Casters on the saw a couple weeks ago. I think that will accomplish the same thing, but I haven't tested it yet.

Kurt