Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General 650 w/ Riving Knife

General 650 w/ Riving Knife

Has anyone seen it in person yet? How is the Riving knife implemented with the trunions.I have been waiting for this saw and just want to make sure they did it right before ordering.

Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Dan,

I see your in LA. Eagle Tools is a General distributor in LA. I bought my 650 from them. Give them a call and ask if they have the version with the riving knife you can look at.

I'm very interested to hear if the riving knife can be retrofitted onto an older machine.

http://www.eagle-tools.com/

~mark

Yes Eagle tools is very close. Jesse told me that a retrofit will be available from General. How do you like your saw? Would you buy it again? It is now between the General 650 and the Jet for me.

Dan

You can't go wrong buying a General 350/650. Even more so now that they come with a riving knife. I love mine and will get the riving knife if available. I just need to figure out a way of hooking a shark guard to the riving knife for dust collection.

If I was in the market today for a cabinet saw it would between a General or a Sawstop. I would also look at european slider type saws like the Minimax or Felder.

~mark

I have a General 350 I bought from Eagle a few years ago and it has been flawless since I brought it home -- if I can get a retrofitted riving knife, so much the better, although the standard gaurd is pretty good and easy to take on and off with no alignment issues of any kind. I would not hesitate to buy this saw again. When I get more shop room someday I will consider adding a slider to my mix for straightline ripping, but that will be several years down the road. I cannot imagine parting with my General, though and I do not think you will be disappointed.

Scot

I sent an email to General asking about availability and retrofit kits and I also called Eagle tools -- Raul is going to contact General tomorrow and get back to me and I will post what I find. He did say that General has a tendancy to advertise well in advance of making the tools available -- the Hover pad was an example that he used -- this has been "out" for the last year to year and a half and he said that they just started getting them in stock about 4-5 months ago. So, even if they are available or will soon be available my guess is that it might be some time before they show up on store shelves. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky on this and they will reach the public sooner.

Scot

eagle tools

I was at Eagle Tools today. Jesse gave me a demo of the Aggazzini Band Saw (cut a very thin veneer piece of oak), and Raul gave me the 411 on the Saw Stop and General Table Saw. I walked out with about $400 in tools and very happy. These guys are great, and very knowledgeable. They have a separate room dedicated to nothing but Festools; awesome shop. If you get a chance, stop in - nice folks, great selection, good prices. What's not to like!

8. Jesse and Raul are great. I just bought my Agazzani from Eagle Tools and everything went flawlessly. If I ever need anything for my General 650 they'll be the first folks I call.

A diving knife would be a great addition to the 650 but I'm really happy with my Shark Guard.

I have some reliable information that the new 650 will be in production in late April, and delivered to distributors in mid to late May. A retrofit kit should follow shortly thereafter. No info on pricing.

Here is the latest from General Direct and Eagle Tools

Dear Mr. Ferraro,
    Thank you for your inquiry, kind words, and most of all for choosing General!

Production tooling has begun to produce the new 650R saw later this spring with a tentative target of late May for shipping to stores. The 350R will be about 4-6 weeks later. I’m sorry for the confusion caused by this information appearing prematurely on our website. This is a clerical error that will be corrected first thing Monday morning. We will put this information back up on site (and with a little bit more fanfare) at a more appropriate time.

As a second stage to this project, we are planning to develop retro-fit kits for both the 350 and 650. Unfortunately it is still too early to be able offer you definitive availability date or pricing for the retro-fit kits.

Your local dealer will be kept advised and should be able to let you know when the kit is available.

Right after I received the email Raul called me back from Eagle. He said that the list price on the retrofit kit will be $795 -- apparently there will be 4-5 componenets that will need to be changed including a new arbor, riving knife mechanism, blade guard and a change in dust shroud under the blade in the cabinet. These are slated to be available sometime in June/July (of course these dates can vary). He also told me that once the product is available and he knows what his cost will be that he might be able to work out a discount of some kind for volume orders.

The saws in stock have the old system, the new ones will be available in a few months with the new system.
    Thanks!
    Scot
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-08-2008 at 3:22 PM.

Ouch, $800 for a retro kit! I'm going to have to think long and hard before I shell out that kind of money to retrofit my 20 year old saw. For the small number of times I've had to remove my homemade splitter to do bevel cuts and non thru-cuts, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Keith

My advice would be to purchase a General 350/650 before May 31st and worry about the riving knife later. I would anticipate a substantial price increase in all their equipment after their Spring Promo ends at the end of May. I hate to see what the price will be for the new 650R. I'm picking up a new 350 for 2499.00 on Tuesday and I can live with the stock splitter. I can remove and install it in less than a minute. Anyway, that is my .02 worth.

My 650 should be in to my dealer today or Monday so I'm going to only tell how much I really love it without the riving knife!

Actually, I had extensive conversations with PM/Jet dealers and the General rep (Joe B.) at the last WW show. All in all I really like using the guard, it keeps my flesh away from the blade (a good thing). I am planning on making a minor modification and installing quick relase bolts so I can remove the guard without a wrench.

I would also expect to see a price increase due to the cost of fuel and the Canadian/US dollar exchange rate.

The standard splitter on my saw is really not that bad to use -- I cut a slot in the aluminum on the back and now it is quick release -- literally a 15 second job to take it off for non-through cuts. It goes back on just as fast and is in perfect alignment. I agree that $800 is kind of steep, but given that there are some pretty heavy-duty components getting swapped out I guess it makes sense. It might not be for everyone, but the extra safety of always having the riving knife in place might be worth it, especially if it helps prevent a nasty kick-back. At least we have some definitive word on the retro-kit and on the new saws to help folks with their purchase.

One thing to note is that the existing models might actually go on sale when the new saws ship since they will have the old style guard -- something that prospective buyers might want to consider -- if the new guard is not important to you, then you might be able to pick up the saw for a lesser cost (or may the same cost as today since they will likely increase it in May/June)!

I love my saw today with the present system and if I decide to upgrade it or change it, I am sure that my sentiments will not change.

Scot

"I hate to see what the price will be for the new 650R"

If they go higher than $2,800 USD I think they will have priced themselves out of the market.

Dan