Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: True Confessions

True Confessions

For the last several months, I have been participating in this forum under the name of Yoshikuni Masato. Now I have to confess that that is not my real name. My real name is David DeCristoforo.

Come May, it will have been two years since I "suffered" a serious hand injury (table saw). This was severe enough to abruptly put my woodworking activities on hold. It would seem that this was the underlying cause of my developing a "very bad attitude", something that became painfully obvious to everyone but myself. The big "tip off" came when, after getting kicked off three online forums (including this one) and complaining about it to my wife, she told me that, yes, I did indeed have a crappy attitude and that I had turned into a complete "curmudgeon" (according to Webster, "a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person".) Think Walter Matthau's role in "Grumpy Old Men". So, I happily (not!) began to reexamine the situation and realized that everyone was right! I had become a grouch. I was swearing at every car on the road, every pedestrian, bicycle, every stop light, every store clerk...everything and everyone irritated me in some way. Most of my postings on forums like this one were arrogant and in many cases downright offensive.

While I have always been an "somewhat opinionated" person, I have also always been a pretty happy person who enjoyed interactions with others. And so this realization that I had become someone that people were crossing the street to avoid was a bit of a shock. Fortunately, I have also been a person who can admit it when I screw up so I have always been able to find a path out of situations like this. The problem was that I really missed being able to interact with other woodworkers. A couple of times I petitioned the forum moderators to un-block my account but even these requests were, I am afraid, somewhat "caustic" and evidently did not impress anyone. So I decided to create an new account using a "pseudonym". I made up the name Yoshikuni Masato because it was as far from "David DeCristoforo" as I could get.

At this point it seems to me that "Yoshikuni" has become an accepted member of this community and that is pleasing and allows me to participate but I am not comfortable with continuing this "deception" and I would very much like to be able to participate under my real name. So this is a request to the forum members and moderators to:
    1) Allow me to re-activate my account and
    2) Accept my apology for the deception which I hope will not have offended anyone and
    3) Accept my apology to anyone and everyone I may have offended previously.

I realize that this is a bit of a "calculated risk" because some people might really be offended and feel that this was dishonest and if that is the case, I understand completely. This is, in no way, meant as an attempt to elicit sympathy but simply an effort to "set things right". I will happily abide by whatever you guys (and "gals") decide. I had planned to post this on April 1st but, after thinking about it, I decided that would have "made light" of the situation in a way that I was not comfortable with and would have denigrated the sincerity of this apology which is really what this is

Thanx
    DD

While I do not condone the use of a pseudonym to get around forum sanctions, I do appreciate true introspection and effort to change. There is at least one other person in my life that I wish would come to the realization you have and make the effort you obviously have.

I have enjoyed and appreciated your recent contributions and personally would miss them if they were to be blocked again.

David,

I can't speak for others of course, but I have enjoyed your dialog and humor under your alias. Welcome back, and I hope you get reinstated as the "real" person.

Incidentally, I have a resource that can possibly help you with your emotional struggles. Email me if you are interested and I'll send you some info.

David,

I too have really enjoyed the input that "Yoshikuni" has had since arriving in this forum. I have found your posts to be a great source of both great insight and lightheartedness that I thoroughly appreciate. I personally would welcome you back, so long as "David's" demeanor mathces that of "Yosikuni"! Welcome (back) to the Creek, and please continue in the same capacity you have been...gonna be hard to change the mental image I have built of you though.....

I've enjoyed reading posts by Yoshikuni, and found them to be valuable; many good words on cabinet construction just these last two weeks that I've scrolled up and said, "I need to remember this, who wrote this?" and found this name.

Forum mods and admin, TOS, etc. will decide, but I can't help but think that it is admirable when a person recognizes error, and turns their path around. "He among you who is without sin, cast the first stone" and all, and in this time of Easter while I'm thinking about the ideas of rebirth and redemption, you've got my vote for remaining.

I'm sure some will stand on the letter of the law/TOS. However, I've seen cases like yours before and want to think I'm a big enough person to understand, a little bit, of what goes on in the mind. Friends I know went off to Iraq as the happiest, friendly people... some come back wounded with plans and dreams shattered, loss of identity, and not friendly at all. We've got a name for it, Post Traumatic Stress syndrome... it applies to anyone who has a bad trauma like you've undergone. I'll be happy to extend the hand of friendship and brotherly love to you, welcome back.
    Dave MacArthur
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

David,

I'll start a thread in the Moderator's Forum. They may even want to remove this thread for consideration.

It takes a big man to admit when he's done something wrong...or been less than truthful. You have my respect.

Somebody will let you know what is decided.

Thanks for your honesty.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-04-2008 at 3:59 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well, I was one of the many who tired of your posts but I'm with Ken. Sorry about your injury; I hope it is healing well.

I don't know the outcome but the mods are a pretty good bunch and your request will be given a review by all.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

"Well, I was one of the many who tired of your posts..."

In that case, I offer you my apologies personally...

"...I hope it is healing well..."

It is as healed as it is going to get at this point, thank you.

YM (DD)

David,

That took some fuzz on the kiwis.

A BIG MAN stands before his peers and admits his wrong doing. An even BIGGER MAN stands before the mirror and admits his wrong doing.

I have always, and will continue to, trust our moderators to do what is right for our forum. Regardless of their decision, I'd just like you to know that I would like to count you as a friend and someone whom I'd love to sit and chat about woodoworking.

Good Luck, my friend..... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Welcome back David.

Even though I have never read any of your "offensive posts" I respect the fact that you recognised your problem and were big enough to apologise.

I have enjoyed your posts under your pseudonym and I have admired the work on your website.

My wife has often told me that I am a
    "a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person"
    and I have never had a serious hand injury

I hope your account is reactivated.

Mikail

"Davikuni"
    Good on ya for stepping up and offering to take it on the chin. When you know its coming, it's easy to run and hide versus stand up and take it.
    I too have heard similar sentiments to my wife about grumpiness at times, seems to run down the male side of the family tree so I say.. which is just a crutch. I have to make a conscious effort about it daily, often many times a day. Sometimes I need a little reminder to try a bit (or alot) harder. I don't need to be the 33 year Walter Matthau or Peter Boyle on Everybody Loves Ray. Some days I feel I'm the dog, others the hydrant.
    I dunno which way the wind will blow in regards to reactivation but that situation all but is what it is. I don't have specific posts in mind, but do remember your name and times avoiding posting etc due to the acidic tone etc.
    The alias has proven you to be a very knowlegdeable part of the community and a sage woodworker in many aspects, 180* from DD's postings.
    Anyway, the bubble's burst... cat's out of the bag et al. Time will tell and we shall see.
    Welcome back in the mean time.

Greg

I have enjoyed you as Yoshikuni and hope that the creek can respect your change in attitude and activate your account.
    Ray

Welcome back. Everyone should get a second chance (and sometime a third chance).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yoshikuni (David), welcome back. Thanks for being a man of integrity to step up and do what you did.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Nice job David. The world would be a better place if more people could do a reality check on themselves.(me included) Butterfly effect may come into play here. "If a butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the world, it can cause a hurricane on the other side of the world" Good way to start flapping those wings.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.