Thread: I'm Having a Problem With Attachments.

I'm Having a Problem With Attachments.

They upload just fine. And they attach just fine. When I log onto my CP, I can see the list of files I have uploaded. But they are not "selectable". Nor do they appear in the list of files I should see when I "click" on the paperclip icon (or it's "down arrow"). If i try to reload a file to attach to a new post, I get an error message that the file has already been uploaded. Help?
    Thanx
    YDMD

Anyone? Also, I notice that some members have a picture next to their name at the top of their posts, Is there a way to do that or is that an admin thing?
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Anyone? Also, I notice that some members have a picture next to their name at the top of their posts, Is there a way to do that or is that an admin thing?
    David, that's an "avatar". Go into the User CP and on the LEFT side of the screen, you should see an "Edit Avatar" link. That'll get you there.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 04-10-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Oops, make that the "left" side of the screen
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

David,

The avitar has a very small size limit.

After you upload, DO NOT TRY TO PREVIEW THE IMAGES. IF YOU DO, IT will create a problem. Then, if you resize the same image on your computer you can reload it.....or rename it on your computer and then reload it.

Upload the images...then go to the paper clip and set them as have them put inline....then submit.

You can then go back to your post....select edit......and insert any verbage you would like between images.

Keep in mind the size limits displayed
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanx. I got the avatar thing figured out. The 19k file size was tripping me up. The CP thing is odd because the uploaded files show in the list but the far right column where there should be checkboxes is empty except for the most recent upload. And the fact that I cannot upload a file that has already been uploaded means that they cannot be reused. What I can do is upload them to my web site and then link them. That way, I don't have to mess with the CP at all.

Thanx for the help
    David DeCristoforo

One can preview the photo that has been uploaded

without too much trouble if any - the issue is to be sure to navigate to your photo, click Upload, and view it if you like by selecting Preview, but then be sure to select save after previewing before finalizing the edit changes. I just tried it again with no problems.

The thing is, I can see all of the files I have ever uploaded listed under "Attachments" in the CP. I can view them in the web browser by "double clicking" them. I can "right click" them and download them. But in the "Advanced" reply window, if I click on the "paper clip" icon or the "down arrow" next to it, I do not get a list of these files, only another "window" that shows a list of file types. Also, in the CP "Attachments list, the far right column is "missing" checkboxes so there is no way to "select" any of the files. As I said, if I attempt to reload the files, I get an error. So, have the files not been saved? What am i missing? Since I cannot "select" the files, I don't see any way to remove them or do anything else with them......

I thought this might be some incompatibility with Safari so I logged on using Firefox and got the same thing. So then I logged on using both Firefox and IE on a computer running windoze expee and still have the same problem. So I think I have pretty much eliminated that as the issue....
    David DeCristoforo

The thing is, I can see all of the files I have ever uploaded listed under "Attachments" in the CP. I can view them in the web browser by "double clicking" them. I can "right click" them and download them. But in the "Advanced" reply window, if I click on the "paper clip" icon or the "down arrow" next to it, I do not get a list of these files, only another "window" that shows a list of file types............

.................................................. .......
    David,

One of the more annoying things about the SMC software. As far as I know, there is no direct way to upload a picture that has already been uploaded.

One would think that you could just copy the picture to another file with a different name and upload the new file. No, the software is not fooled and rejects the new file (probably because it will be the same file size).

What I and others do is to copy the file (picture) to a slightly smaller file with a new name and upload the new file. Works great!

I created two folders called "size_old" and "size_new". I copy the files (pictures) I want to "size_old" and use PIXresizer to copy the files to "size_new" with the size of "590 x 443" instead of the normal "600 x 450". (This is done in the folder mode so it is real quick) I then add an "a" to the end of the new files so SMC will not complain (rename function).

After the files to be uploaded are identified, it only takes 5/10 minutes to generate these new files, a lot less time than taking new pictures.

A couple of the miscellaneous details:

1) To resize the pictures (files) I use a program called PIXresizer, Google it, free, easy to use, works on either a single file and/or whole folder. Besides resizing the files, it will copy from/to different formats (BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG and TIFF).

2) To copy/rename the files, I just use Windows Menu under START and go to "My Pictures". It is the simplest way I've found (on my PC) to copy/rename files/folders.

HTH, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

So there is no way to attach a previously uploaded image to a new post or thread without going through the whole process of resizing and renaming the image and uploading it again? That seems awfully cumbersome. Also, eventually are you not going to reach some limit? I am presuming that the reason I cannot find any way to delete an uploaded image is that it would disappear from the thread in which it was originally used. So that would make sense. But not being able to use an uploaded image in another post is a bit odd....
    David DeCristoforo

David,

That's my understanding the way the software has always worked. If for some reason you want to reuse an image you have to resize or rename it and then you can reload it. I don't make the software rules....I just try function within them.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David, if I understand correctly, you are trying to post a picture (which you have previously posted) in a new thread/reply? If that's the case, hopefully this will help.

Open the user control panel. Select attachments from the bottom left. This will list ALL attachments you have ever uploaded to any thread. Find the picture you want and click on it. It will open in a new window. Copy the address. Go to the thread/reply and use the insert image button and paste the address in. This is a little long, especially if you are going to repost more than one picture, but it's the only way I know of how to repost a previously posted picture.

The way others have described in renaming/changing the size is defeating the purpose of the restriction. It's there to prevent the same picture from being uploaded to the server multiple times wasting storage space.

Although, having two copies is better than none which is why you really shouldn't link to photos on other websites, especially photo hosting sites. Because if you ever change the content of those sites, the picture is lost on this end. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and with some threads and their associated pictures, they are priceless.

Hope this helps...

Be well,

Doc

Thanx Don. Linking the URL of the image... hadn't thought of that. Maybe the CP will get modded someday to allow reusing uploaded images but for now this should be fine...

Thanx Again
    David DeCristoforo

Maybe the CP will get modded someday to allow reusing uploaded images but for now this should be fine...
    I reuse images all the time. What I do is go to the original thread, click on the picture to get the full size version, copy the URL, and then insert that URL in the new thread using the "Image" button. (The yellow box with the gray mountain in it)

Here's one from a thread I updated yesterday in OT:

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got it... Thanx Jim...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph N. Myers View Post
    David,

One of the more annoying things about the SMC software. As far as I know, there is no direct way to upload a picture that has already been uploaded.

One would think that you could just copy the picture to another file with a different name and upload the new file. No, the software is not fooled and rejects the new file (probably because it will be the same file size).

What I and others do is to copy the file (picture) to a slightly smaller file with a new name and upload the new file. Works great!

I created two folders called "size_old" and "size_new". I copy the files (pictures) I want to "size_old" and use PIXresizer to copy the files to "size_new" with the size of "590 x 443" instead of the normal "600 x 450". (This is done in the folder mode so it is real quick) I then add an "a" to the end of the new files so SMC will not complain (rename function).

After the files to be uploaded are identified, it only takes 5/10 minutes to generate these new files, a lot less time than taking new pictures.

A couple of the miscellaneous details:

1) To resize the pictures (files) I use a program called PIXresizer, Google it, free, easy to use, works on either a single file and/or whole folder. Besides resizing the files, it will copy from/to different formats (BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG and TIFF).

2) To copy/rename the files, I just use Windows Menu under START and go to "My Pictures". It is the simplest way I've found (on my PC) to copy/rename files/folders.

HTH, Joe
    The software is designed to prevent uploading the same picture in order to save space.

You can use the "[ATTACH]" "[/ATTACH]" tags to reuse pictures in posts.. all you need is the ID of the picture.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator