Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: She's here, my new hot Italian beauty

She's here, my new hot Italian beauty

Finally upgraded my bandsaw. A move I've been contemplating for about 6 months now. After a lot of research I decided on an Agazzani B-20 which was delivered Friday. I got it from Jesse at Eagle Tools, and they were a pleasure to deal with. They shipped it on Wed, and sent it 2 day so it wouldn't sit on a dock over a weekend. I got it on Friday in perfect shape. The thing was crated unbelievably well. I was blown away when I opened the crate. Having seen lots of pictures I was still amazed at how beefy and well constructed this thing is when I saw it in my garage. The american tool makers could learn a thing or 2 from the Italians starting with the connection. No more trying to fit a 10 or 12 gauge cord through an opening made for 18 gauge. And wiring it up was simple. Not like my Delta/Grizzly/PM tools where you had to be a magician to bend the wires into places that take a contortionist. Anyway, hooked it up and went to align everything and it was perfect right out of the box. Eagle tools gets an A+ for their pre shipment checkout and setup, everything was dead on. Next I ran a few test scrap pieces of hard maple through the machine resawing at about 7" and it fed like butter, and I could not believe how little sanding the resultant veneer was.

The table was interesting. Not a smooth polished surface but it had tiny ridges built into it (see final pictures). I think this will be a real sturdy setup, and I had no cosmoline to clean up, and I don't have to worry about any scratches. While I dont think I'd like this surface as much on a jointer, I think that on a bandsaw this will be very servicable. Anyway on to some pictures.

Yikes, that is a monster. Let us know how it runs.

Nice jointer in the background by the way.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

WOWSER!!! She is a beaut! You can do some serious resawing with that baby.

All you need is a few carbide blades.

What's the foot pedal for?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post

What's the foot pedal for?
    Blade Brake. Something that large takes a while to stop otherwise.

mike

Mike

Nice score. Happy bandsawing

Sweeeet...

"What's the foot pedal for?"

That's how you make it go.... don't forget, this is an Italian band saw... Saves electricity and you get exercise too...

DDYM

Couldn't they find any more warning stickers?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Hi John,
    Very nice saw man. I work with all Euro machinery manufacturers at work... there are many things to be learned by the manufacturers to the far east & west.
    I'd wager the lines in the table are to relieve some surface tension.... many metal working machine tables are not nice n smooth either, as a polished smooth surface and a little cutting oil creats one heck of a "vacuum".

Congrats.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Couldn't they find any more warning stickers?
    I really like the one that shows the hand with the fingers cut off. Kinda universal, as even my non-woodworking buddies mentioned they knew what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    The table was interesting. Not a smooth polished surface but it had tiny ridges built into it (see final pictures).
    Nice bandsaw - two DC ports!

I think the table sufrace condition it to reduce friction (less surface contact) and allow space for the dust (if any) that may try to get betwen the workpiece and top.

Congratulations! I have the same one, bought a few years ago from Eagle Tools too. Agree with your assessments, both regarding the saw itself as well as packing and the service. Just top notch!

Bob
    bob m

13. Nice~!! The table lines are from the manufacturing process. They cut the table using an old school clapper scraper. Scraper Milling machines have never gone out of vogue. It drives a tool bit across the surface (like a snow plow) which pulls off a chip. The tool bit does not cut on the return trip so a clapper box lets the tool bit flip up on a hinge and drags across on it's way back.

It's a fine way to machine a flat surface and if done right it leaves all the heat from cutting in the chip and thus on the shop floor and not in the work. And that's a good thing.

That is a beautiful machine. I worked for an Italian machine tool company for many years. That surface finish on the table is very typical of many industrial machine tools. It is sometimes referred to as a scraped finish. At least in years past this type of finish was produced on a "Planer" The planer had had a bridge over a table with a cutter that was stationary and the table would move back and forth and the cutter would move from side to side. Not sure if this is the way it is done today. Again congratulations.

Good Luck

Alan

15. John,

Jesse must be doing well these days. I received mine a little more than a week ago and from the looks of it we ordered identical accessories.

You beat me to the set up pics--I'll have to redo some ductwork for the saw to make sense in its location.

Bellisimo.