Thread: Where there's smoke....

Where there's smoke....

...there's a dull blade. I was painfully reminded of that last night when I went to cut some supports for a tablesaw extension table out of maple. I had left a 'crappy' blade in my saw from when I was last cutting some pressure treated lumber, and forgot to put in a better blade. The saw motor (and also the smoke) let me know right away that I had goofed. Big goof, but no impact since it's just a support that will be hidden under the table.

On the plus side, it was the first chance I really got to benefit from my fence upgrade (Biesemeyer), and all I can say is that it makes SUCH a difference - especially over the old crappy delta stock fence. I'm hoping that the extension table makes a similar improvement, especially when cutting larger pieces.

Does anyone have tips on how/where to get plastic laminate for the top? I stopped at Home Depot and they had it only in 4x8 sheets - much more than I need. I'd love to get a 'scrap', or even a half- or quarter-sheet...

**edited**
    Last edited by JohnT Fitzgerald; 04-08-2008 at 3:57 PM.

John, back in florida, I made friends with a cabinet maker ... smaller shop guy that would let me wander thru his cutoff bin on occasion. His "scraps" fit my needs like that quite well.

My local HD carries quarter sheets of laminate. So does Lowes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

really. hmm, I asked at HD and they said full sheets only. I'll try Lowes later today.

I like the idea about hitting up a local cabinetmaker or kitchen contractor - I may try that too.

Blog Entries
    John, We have a laminate supplier here in Fort Smith AR that only sells to the pros, but the always have small cut off pieces that they usually put in the dumpster. I can call them in the morning as ask that they save me off a small piece (well, to them it is small) they can be as large as 24X48 or so. I can then go pick it up in the afternoon for FREE. The have on occasion let me rummage thru the dumpster as well. As long as I am not too picky about color, I'm good. (my router table top is sort of an light teal.)
    Maybe you have a distributer like that in your area.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

excellent idea, thanks Larry!