Thread: Mystery delivery and free? liftgate service

Mystery delivery and free? liftgate service

Had a delivery today, dont even have time to open it and set it up.

Part of my deal on the purchase was free home delivery with liftgate service.

This came:

P4080011.jpg

And this:

P4080013.jpg

But the full sized semi trailer had no lift gate. Nada. Zip. None

The box alone weighs 660lbs.

Oh man, how do you get these off the truck without a forktruck?

Good for me the truck driver was a woodworker too. He was as determined as I was to get this unloaded and in the shop.

Ended up using his cargo rails as sled rails. Brought the box out and over the end, then both of us let it slide down to the street ever so slowly.

If I tried this at work they'd fire me for unsafe practice!

But I want that saw, oh yes...

Total order: 3HP 10" sawStop, 36" rails and extension table, extra brake, dado insert and Dado brake. Kinda stinks you need that special brake for dado use but I wanna use my dado! What can you do...

I need to build a mobile base for this. I ran out of money on this purchase, and couldn't consider the $300 SS Base.

Aw well. It's in the building. That's the first step.

Oh, and if you ever need liftgate service call me. Or maybe yet don't. That thing was heavy!
    One good turn deserves another

Congrats Rick;

That saw is on my list for the future.

Enjoy making dust with it.

Shawn
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

It would have been deeply ironic if you were injured by a saw stop while unloading it. Glad it went well. Congrats.

I have often wondered why the trucking companies charge so much more for lift gate delivery. How hard is it really to roll a palate 3' further onto a lift and push the button? I'm fortunate that the ABF truck that services my area is always a lift truck and the guy who drives it is very helpful, has refused to even take a tip. I have yet to pay for lift gate service.

Blog Entries
    I'd have made the shipper hire a tow truck driver. When the materials came to my house to build my shop they paid a flat bed tow truck driver to unload it from a semi. Delivery means given to you, not taken from them.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Congratulations Rick!!! You're going to love your new SawStop. It's a fantastic saw.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Any idea how high the truck bed was? I'm in the planning stages of ordering a bandsaw. If I go Grizzly, I'd like to avoid the lift gate charge (kind of defeats saving money on the saw). My plan is to unload saw in to the bed of my S-10 and then drive the truck with the saw to the back of the house and unload it directly into the walk-in (-out) basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Any idea how high the truck bed was? I'm in the planning stages of ordering a bandsaw. If I go Grizzly, I'd like to avoid the lift gate charge (kind of defeats saving money on the saw). My plan is to unload saw in to the bed of my S-10 and then drive the truck with the saw to the back of the house and unload it directly into the walk-in (-out) basement.
    If you're going to transfer to your pickup you might as well pick it up at the local freight terminal - saves a 1/2 day of waiting around for the driver to show up. Plus they will load you with the fork truck.
    Dewey

Mobile Base

I have mine on the JET mobile base. It is pretty nice and easy to move. It can hold up to 1200 lbs. Maybe not as nice as the sawstop M/B but I paid $99 at woodcraft for it. So it doesn't break the bank -- so to speak.

Happy sawing.

Guess I am lucky I have this in my front yard temporarily.

And I park my Service truck at home all the time.

And Ace Hdwe is only 9 blocks from my house and they have a forklift and will come out to do a lift.

AAhhh, small town living, everything is within 5 minutes. ER is only 3 blocks from house. I don't go there. LOL

And I did a lot of Rigging in the SeaBees and in civilian life, I use a small 4 part block and tackle to get things up and down basement steps into and out of basement wood shop.

For those of you who don't have all these advantages, a little hint, a step ladder or an extension ladder makes a nice ramp to slide things down out of a delivery truck.

And for you deer hunters, a short section of extension ladder with a couple of holes drilled in each side of the side rails on one end with a cold rolled axle cut to length and with a coupla holes for spring cotter keys along with a coupla cheap lawn mower plastic wheels , makes a nice conveyance to move your deer outa the woods on.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 04-09-2008 at 9:00 AM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

When my father had something shipped to a terminal a few years, they would/could not load is pickup truck as the bed was not "commerical" height. He had to rent a commercial height U-Haul (Penske actually) truck to go get it. I contacted a few of the local terminals and got a similar response about the loading rules. They will only use a fork lift or pallet jack and you're not allowed in the dock area (which rules out the use of an engine hoist to do it myself) for "property and shipper insurance reasons".

Luckily they also said that there is no "additional delivery fee to the house vs the terminal" if the house is truck accessible. By "truck accessible", means that a 48' tractor trailer can be driven in an out easily, not that I have to have a loading dock at the house.

Congrats! And it's very kewel that the driver was as excited as you...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...