Thread: This post is GUARENTEED...

This post is GUARENTEED...

... to make Terry Hatfield run screaming into the hills. Well, at least the first picture should. I made a lot of progress today on my grandson's toy chest. I have to have it complete by April 22 so I can give it to him for his 2nd birthday.

This is the first heavy use of my new router table and it came thru like a champ. I haven't decided if the top for the chest will be breadboard edge or just a glue up panel with some inside stretchers for rigidity. I plan on using a medium dark oil stain and a few coats of pre-cat lacquer. It will be my first spray lacquer project, so wish me luck...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waymon Campbell; 03-27-2004 at 9:20 PM.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Waymon, looks as though you made good progress on those panels! My next panels will not be nearly as complex, as they will take on the AC look, so no raising on them. As for the wood chips, that's a hoot! 'Course, that ain't nuthin. I wish I had pictures from before I got a bit more serious with this hobby. I used my Ryobi lunchbox planer to do a LOT of rough sawn Oak without *any* type of chip collection! LOL!!! Man, I almost had to dig the planer back outta' there! If Terry woulda' seen that, he'd have jumped into the shower, just to be sure he wasn't still asleep and having a bad dream!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Waymon Campbell
    ... to make Terry Hatfield run screaming into the hills. Well, at least the first picture should. I made a lot of progress today on my grandson's toy chest. I have to have it complete by April 22 so I can give it to him for his 2nd birthday.

This is the first heavy use of my new router table and it came thru like a champ. I haven't decided if the top for the chest will be breadboard edge or just a glue up panel with some inside stretchers for rigidity. I plan on using a medium dark oil stain and a few coats of pre-cat lacquer. It will be my first spray lacquer project, so wish me luck...
    Waymon, Laquer is pretty easy to spray you should hav eno problems with it . What did you use to cope out the panels table saw or router table?

Waymon,

LOL...... Looks like your dust collection needs a helping hand.

Super nice job!!!! Can't wait to see the completed project.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks good Waymon!

If you don't mind, could you give us some dimensions? I really like the look of those panels; the size relationship of the stile/rail/panel look about perfect!

As for the lacquer, it's easy. I like to spray the first coat very very thin (~25% lacquer) so it acts like a sanding sealer. A quick rub with 320 grit to kill the fuzzies and then 2-4 final coats. 2 hours start to finish.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Brian - The stiles and rails are 4". The sgl panels are 10"x10" and the dbl panels are 10"x17"".

Terry - Couldn't resist the pix of the dust. I knew it would get ya! The reason for all the dust was that I was using the panel bit above the table and the stock I was running was sitting on a 1/4" sled, so a lot of the dust was being shot out in the gap between the panel and the table. The thru the fence dust collection was only getting part of the chips. Next time I use that approach I might put my Fein Turbo II to work with a wide mouth attachment and clamp it to the table where most of the chips are being propelled.

Jim - I used my Freud stacked dado to cope the stiles/rails. The exposed dado you see on the what will be the chest legs will be removed when I cut out a decorative arch.
    Last edited by Waymon Campbell; 03-28-2004 at 6:39 PM.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...