Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC 24" Omnijig

PC 24" Omnijig

Anyone have any thoughts? I would love to hear feedback from owners as I'm looking at this jig for a project I have coming up.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Scheller View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts? I would love to hear feedback from owners as I'm looking at this jig for a project I have coming up.
    I assume that you are talking about the newest one.
    There have been a few posts about it on here and I do own one. If looking at top of the line, I would say that it beats the d4r in many respects; however, it may be overkill for most people. Another one to look at if you don't need the best of the best would be the superjig from leigh.

I recently purchased a 24" omnijig, coming from a 6212 pc jig I cant say that its 400 dollars better.

I ended up spending $549 on the jig and $47 for the dust collection attachment which IMO should definatly come with the jig. The dust collection chute works very well.

My 1st project for the jig was some variable spaced 1/2 blind dovetails for a chest of drawers, the drawers are made of 1/2" baltic birch ply. I followed the "recipe card" and tried some cuts on scrap wood and they were not even close, I ended up going 1/8" more shallow on the cut to get the joint to fit, so I dont take much stock in the "easy setup" with the preset depth guides. I ended up spending alot of time to tune in the jig for the cuts and was happy with the results.

However when switching to different stock thickness, my last setup will be lost unless I purchase more of the side gages that set the cutting bar depth.

The jig comes with 1 bit that will cut alot of different thicknesses but there are 6 more bits that PC offers, I ordered the set directly from PC for another 119$ and received them yesterday. I would also like to try the other bar that cuts sliding dovetails but its another $130 dollars and I'm not ready to spend more money right now.

The jig is very heavy and well made, the router support bar is nice and works very well. After watching the videos on the PC website, Norm makes it look like a piece of cake to setup, I haven't found it to be that easy, but I haven't cut any 3/4" stock yet. I'm planning to cut some through dovetails with it soon and will get a better feel for the quick setup then. Its a nice jig but its very spendy when you start adding up all the extras.

Omnijig

I agree with Jeff on most points. I can't see why the dust port isn't included. The jig is very well made and a HUGE improvement over the previous Omnijig. I'm looking to buy most of all of the accessories available including the narrow pins so that my dovetails will look handmade. I would buy this jig again but when its all said and done I will have closer to $1,000 into the system not including the routers. It seems everything is available as an add-on. ($) I too took my time learing it after viewing the DVD and spent the better part of the day perfecting my first cuts. I'm in it for the long haul so price wasn't a factor me- mini dovetails and mini box joints as well as the narrow pins are what had me sold.
    Ben

Mine was just delivered yesterday. I'll report back later.

Hi Ray,

I purchased the 24" Omnijig and am currently experiencing problems like those mentioned by Jeff, the variable spaced half blind dovetails are so tight that they wont fit together without significant work with a chisel. I have tried raising the router bit 1/8" but it still didn't solve the problem. The manual suggests to raise the bit a fraction if the joints are too tight.
    Today I spent some more time on the phone with the PC technician who got me to measure the diameter of the bit and it was 4/1000th of an inch under 1/2" so they are going to send me a replacement bit just incase that is the issue. I have my doubts that this is the issue as the difference to make the joints fit together is just too great in comparison.
    At this point that is the only joint I have attempted so can't give you any more info other than to point you to this recent thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=78123&page=2

after manually pairing back the tails to make the joints fit together they do look quite good.

Would be interested to hear from Jeff or any other PC Omnijig owners if they have managed to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Wayne

I got mine a week ago Saturday and I have to say I really like it. I had a 12 inch older style Porter Cable and there is no comparison. The new Omni Jig is a very extensive joinery system that I believe is almost a study unto itself. I have really only gotten to work on it for a short time, other things always seem to get in the way of my workshop time, but during that time I was able to create some nice through dovetails. I agree that the video makes things seem easier than I found them to be. I was able to get things dialed in after a few test cuts, after that everything was very smooth and repeatable. I cannot say if it is worth the premium price over the Leigh d4r jig since I do not have any experience using that unit. Mine did not come with the dust port but it did come with the tool box. I purchased the dust port from Woodcraft which I installed last weekend. I also agree that is should come with the dust port as standard equipment, but that is not part of the deal at the moment. I do believe if you purchase the Omnijig you will be very happy with it. It is truly an impressive piece of equipment that is obviously designed to last a lifetime.

Wayne, I dont feel my issue is resolved, I had to raise my bit along way to get the joint to fit, this creates a problem with the slot for the drawer bottom. With the bit only cutting 3/16" of an inch that means the drawer slot can only be 3/16" also or you will see the cut through the dovetail!!!

My feeling is the bit or the guide is wrong for 1/2" material. With my old 6212 jig the bit was set alot deeper on 1/2 blind dovetails allowing a deeper slot for the drawer bottom.

There has to be an answer to this.

I have the old model 24" Omnijig and it is perfect. Works great. Solid!

My impression was that it was the collet too since a half inch dovetail is far shy of 1/2 inch once adjusted.

Thanks for all the feedback. Makes me want to wait until the jig has had more time in the market place. I know new products go through a transition period where issues are discovered and the company tweaks things to get them resolved so maybe I'll wait several months and then take a look. I'm not in a big hurry so speed to buy isn't an issue. Again thanks for the feedback.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

Wow something is way wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Watling View Post
    Hi Ray,

I purchased the 24" Omnijig and am currently experiencing problems like those mentioned by Jeff, the variable spaced half blind dovetails are so tight that they wont fit together without significant work with a chisel. I have tried raising the router bit 1/8" but it still didn't solve the problem. The manual suggests to raise the bit a fraction if the joints are too tight.
    Today I spent some more time on the phone with the PC technician who got me to measure the diameter of the bit and it was 4/1000th of an inch under 1/2" so they are going to send me a replacement bit just incase that is the issue. I have my doubts that this is the issue as the difference to make the joints fit together is just too great in comparison.
    At this point that is the only joint I have attempted so can't give you any more info other than to point you to this recent thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=78123&page=2

after manually pairing back the tails to make the joints fit together they do look quite good.

Would be interested to hear from Jeff or any other PC Omnijig owners if they have managed to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne,
    I don't know what the problem you are having is, as mine is the old 24" omnijig. I can tell you this though if you have to move the bit 1/8 INCH there is something radically wrong with the set up. Once I'm set up a move of .010 inches is quite noticable. Are these through or half blind dovetails? If you are cutting through dovetails for 1/2 boards the dovetail shoud be 1/2" deep period. The movement of the bit should be very small. normally so small you barely notice the the change. Like some others I also suggest that you make the pins just longer than the 1/2" depth that way you can sand of plane flush the everything will look great.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Scheller View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Makes me want to wait until the jig has had more time in the market place. I know new products go through a transition period where issues are discovered and the company tweaks things to get them resolved so maybe I'll wait several months and then take a look. I'm not in a big hurry so speed to buy isn't an issue. Again thanks for the feedback.

Ray,

I think your wise in waiting, at least until this problem is resolved one way or the other and until a little more feedback arrives about the other joints. As I said I've only attempted variable spaced half blind DT's but i'll post results of through DT's soon.
    Luckily the jig comes with a full 90 day return no questions asked policy which I will be using if it doesn't get resolved.

Best,
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jepson View Post
    Wayne,
    I don't know what the problem you are having is, as mine is the old 24" omnijig. I can tell you this though if you have to move the bit 1/8 INCH there is something radically wrong with the set up. Once I'm set up a move of .010 inches is quite noticable. Are these through or half blind dovetails? If you are cutting through dovetails for 1/2 boards the dovetail shoud be 1/2" deep period. The movement of the bit should be very small. normally so small you barely notice the the change. Like some others I also suggest that you make the pins just longer than the 1/2" depth that way you can sand of plane flush the everything will look great.
    Bill
    Bill, these are variable spaced half blind DT's not through DT's.
    Even after raising the bit 1/8" the joint would still not come together so that didn't solve the problem. You're right though, it should only require a tiny adjustment to solve these types of issues otherwise it suggests something more serious is wrong.
    After talking a little more with the technician who inturn spoke with the engineers they now want me lower the bit to 5/8" to see if that helps.

If anyone else is having these issues with the jig I suggest you call PC support and let the technicians know, if possible try to speak to Fred, that way he can report back that more than one person is experiencing the problem.

Wayne

I saw one of these jigs today. It looks like a pretty serious machine. What is this, that you can use it for 90 days and return if not satisfied? Is that anywhere or just at select dealers.

It would take me 90 days to figure out how to use it.

Steve Bolton