Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Recommendations for a 25" plus Drum Sander

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Summers View Post
    Bruce

I just bought a used Woodmaster 2675 in an estate sale (lot sale of all tools and wood). Looks like the drive motor has been disconnected. I still have to pick it up tommorrow, then I'll get a better look at it.

Have you had any trouble with yours, or needed to replace anything?

Craig
    Craig, I bought mine used also. I have had zero problems with it. It is sooooooo much better than my old Delta cantilevered 18/36, it’s like the difference between night & day.
    I added the reversing switch for the conveyer which is nice on small pieces. I also added Woodmaster’s new digital height gage (similar to a Wixey), it makes sneaking up on the finish dimension easy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

that general is made overseas. the woodmaster is made here. just a thought............

I purchased a Woodmaster drum sander in 2003. It has never let me down. It gets a lot of use by me and my woodworking friends. The customer service is outstanding.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

26 inch drum sander

I just purchased from Stockroom Supply thier 18 inch drumsander kit. They have kits up to 30 inches. The construction of the sander was straight forward with no problems. The only item I had to add to the sander was a motor which I purchased on ebay for $20.50. Total cost was less than $350 dollars for the whole sander and it works beautifully. They utilize a different approach to drum sanding in that they use the centrifical force generated by the drum to sand in lieu of squeezing the sandpaper between the drum and whatever you are sanding. I wish I had found out about it years ago. I saw it this year at the Tampa, Florida Wood Working show and decided to purchase it a few days later. I am not sorry that I did. I might add they give a DVD with the purchase and it is quite helpful with the construction. Check them out, www.stockroomsupply.com

my $.02

I have a Steel City 26" duel drum sander. Top quality resulting in a beautiful product.

I bought a used PerformaX ShopPro 25 and find it is a huge improvement over my 16-32. I added the Smartsand amp/belt speed control and it has been a good investment. I was always tripping the overload on the 16-32(too impatient??) and now I can just let it run without having to watch the amp load. The Jet consortium now markets the 22-44 and smaller units and has rights to the PerformaX name. The larger units are now SupermaX and still made in the US.(I think). There was an article in an old issue of FWW that compared this class of sander and it covered most of the models mentioned before. Not sure of the more recent models tho.

I saw the Steel City dual drum sander at Woodcrafters and that looks like a good unit, but I'm not sure of the complexity/ advantage of two grits used on the same pass. I tend to use one grit to make several runs before I move up in grit. Good luck.