Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SawStop -- 5 HP or 3 HP

Lots of opinions!!! By suggestion is that you won't need the extra 2 HP for your hobby. If it was production work 60+ hrs a week then go the BIG.

I would put the extra $300 in blades!

But the mobile is a must. You may think you know where you want it - but then the next tool aquisition comes in and you need to shift it...or it's not quite under the lights in winter, etc....you see where I'm going. Definately get the mobile base!

In recommending a 5hp sawstop I made the assumption that blades and other saw accessories and or other tools are not an issue. This is typically not the first tool someone buys and when you do buy one it is not strapping you from your other hobby purchases. One does not typically make this or any config of a SS saw choice when it sacrifices other purchases. I could definately be wrong here though.

Bought the SS this winter, 3 hp, and love it. I spent the extra money on the SS mobile base. Love that thing too :-)

It met my needs, both now and in the forseeable future. Prior to the SS I had a 1.2 hp contractor's saw, and I was always able to make things happen. On thicker or denser woods I would have to become "one with the wood" in order to not burn or bog down, but I was always able to accomplish what was needed. I figure going to the 3 hp SS doubled my margin of error whenever I run into similiar situtions. The 5 hp would have been nice, but I still needed to watch the pennies, even on a purchase on this scale.

Either way, you will love the SS. I know mine makes me smile every time I see it.

Kent

I had the same dilemma about 1 year ago--5hp or 3hp? My mind was made up when I called around and found a local dealer that had a 3hp model in stock. He had just sold the 5 hp. I've cut plenty of native hardwood that required the blade to be fully extended. It was not a problem.

I bought the Jet adjustable mobile base, which seems to work fine . . . although I don't move this thing much now that I installed an Exactor sliding table on it. I have no regrets in getting the 3hp.

Go with the 3 hp, since you don't need the extra power. Also, you may have to upgrade your wiring and electrial service if you go with 5 hp.

I bought the 5hp, SS fence, 52" rails and table, and SS mobile base last year and love it. No regrets and would do it the same way again.

I like to push wood through at a good rate and am glad I got the 5hp. I considered the 3hp and now know that I made the right choice. A 3hp w/ sharp blades will do a great job but, while I do try, my blades (and sometimes me) are not always the sharpest.

It is a small percentage price difference for the 5hp. If you are even considering it, I suggest you take the plunge.

Have fun it is a great saw.

-Roger

my take...i got the 5 hp, but i do it for a living, i like the extra hp,i cut alot of bed and 16/4 material...typically 3 hp is fine, one of the nice things i find with the 5hp, is that while i may not always use it, its nice to have...kinda like a 4x4 pickup if ya live in a snowy area, and additionally if ya ever want to sell it ,well like the 4x4 it holds a better value and is easier to sell...as to the mobile base ,its nice real nice ...

8. Is a 3 hp saw better then a 5 hp saw?
    Is there ever a situation that you will need the extra 2 hp?
    I know the ultimate solution in making cuts is to be able to control the feed rate, as slow or as fast as I want it, so as to create a smooth as possible cut with the slow rate, while staying one step ahead of burning the wood. With my 1hp saw, I had to use 24 tooth blades to get through even 1 inch stock, and that caused a lot of saw marks in the wood. So you go with more teeth, for a smooth cut, and the motor bogs, or the breaker blows, etc. etc. etc. The limitations of the power of the motor is completely eliminated with a 5. You can use a full width blade no matter how thick the stock, and no matter how deep the angle.

Cutting a 45 in 3 inch hardwood, with a full 1/8th inch thick blade like a Forrest WWII and hear the motor sing through it, without even slowing down is a joy to behold.
    I must admit, for 90+ percent of the cuts a 3 is all you will ever need. Norm Abrams uses a 3, but then again he uses a Delta mortising machine, and therefore uses a router to make mortises when he makes an entrance door. I've done it that way, and comparing that, in terms of accuracy and ease of using a Powermatic mortiser on a stand, with a 9 plus inch range of motion is no comparison. Norm, whom I love, errs on the side of frugality, which is honorable, but not always the best option. No offense Norm, I have been following you, and recording your lessons for years, and have a vast library. Thank you.
    It sounds to me like the extra 300 or whatever is not so much of a problem for you. I still have my 1hp Sears contractor saw that was my Dad's and the one I learned on, but after all of the problems I was having, cutting 1 1/2" oak, for some doors, filling the shop with smoke, and having to joint the cut, I went for the 5 when I bought my PM66 2004. The Baldor motor won't knock a penny over starting, running, and stopping, but I can blow it over standing up, with a little puff of wind. There is nothing like turning on that saw, hear it sing at full speed instantly, then passing any kind of wood through it, and it doesn't even slow down. It just sings.
    Treat yourself to the 5. You're worth it. (Sounds like a hair product commercial)
    Now onto the mobile base. I have the room for the table saw to sit still, and also have a good sized outfeed table behind it, and alongside of it. A table that is sufficiently large enough to keep an 8 foot sheet of ply from hitting the ground is not something that you want to be attached to a mobile base. So I don't. I have everything leveled, with adjustable feet, except for the saw. That is the constant. Everything else is on a level plane with the saw top. I never have a reason to move my saw. It is the center of my shop. The large outfeed table doubles as an assembly table, and with a plastic cover, a glue up station as well. My side extension table, oh shucks, here is a picture of the setup
    Check out the motor, it doesn't have the cover on it yet. The motor alone weighs over 100 pounds.

You must be really excited getting a new saw. I will never forget the day I got mine. I was in a gas station filling my tank, and the cell phone rang, and my wife told me the truck was there, and didn't want to wait, So here I am heading down the highway.

I hope you find that shot as funny as I do. No that is not me. Just kidding. Hey I am entitled to one, once in a while.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I have the 3hp SawStop and never had trouble cutting anything that I wanted to cut in my hobby shop. I chose 3hp instead of 5 because I didn't want to rewire my garage. If that isn't an issue for you and the price difference doesn't matter to you either then go for 5hp.

BTW I am extremely pleased with my SawStop. I have no doubts that you will be pleased with yours too!