Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Bandsaw Box Making 101

Thanks Lance! I spend most of my time down below in the turning section but I have wanted to do one of these for years. I think you got me off my rump!...Bill...

I never even knew I wanted to make a bandsaw box. But now I think I'll have a go at it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bolen View Post
    Thanks Lance! I spend most of my time down below in the turning section but I have wanted to do one of these for years. I think you got me off my rump!...Bill...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tilley View Post
    I never even knew I wanted to make a bandsaw box. But now I think I'll have a go at it. Thanks.
    William, Stan... These are a lot of fun. They are a very simple box, but functional. I really enjoy making bandsawn boxes and have made hundreds. Post pics when you guys are finished.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Thanks for this thread, Lance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. excellent work

really nice, simple straight forward construction
    Norm

I know this is an older thread but I just got my bandsaw a month ago and am giving it a go. Great thread!!!

Can anyone point me to a place to get brass pins?

Jeff... I just buy brass rod stock from the Borgs. It comes in 3' sections. Cut to length with a hacksaw, and file where you cut it, to smooth out the rough edges.

Show your boxes when you get them done.

I made a couple boxes from a very similar design that I found in a book I purchased. It uses a block of some wood and then contrasting pieces for the sides. I am not trying to steal the thread. Just offering a slightly different design of the same style box. It has a divider in the bottom that you leave in the "big chunk" of wood. This one is padauk and curly cherry.

I like to cut the block in half and then saw the top and bottom separately following the pattern which I put on with spray glue.

Not trying to steal the thread. I was just talking with a friend and he was telling me that those Carter Stabilizers are the way to go. I might have to get one for my GO555x.

Great post and thanks for sharing. I think there are too few bandsaw box articles on this forum and this helps to fix that problem.

-R
    Last edited by Robby Tacheny; 01-08-2009 at 7:49 AM.

hey lance i have a ridgid BS as well, i was wondering what you used for the riser? does ridgid sell one or did you use a different brand?

I realize this is an old thread, but thanks for the quick tutorial. I am making a couple of small boxes inspired by my neighbor Ed Sallee up the street and it's a lot of fun after doing large carcass work. I would like to try some band-saw boxes for Xmas gifts next Xmas and this is a good reminder.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    hey lance i have a ridgid BS as well, i was wondering what you used for the riser? does ridgid sell one or did you use a different brand?
    Hey Mike... its Grizzly H3051. Ridgid does sell a riser kit, but if I recall, its $160 and the Grizzly is like $60. Its a perfect bolt in. Its painted green, so with the $100 you save, buy some grey paint if that bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post

Not trying to steal the thread. I was just talking with a friend and he was telling me that those Carter Stabilizers are the way to go. I might have to get one for my GO555x.

Great post and thanks for sharing. I think there are too few bandsaw box articles on this forum and this helps to fix that problem.

-R
    Robby... nice box. I really like paduk and recently just bought a bunch. Im going to contrast it with some walnut on some and maple on others. I also have cut boxes with the dividers in the bottom. If you look at the thread linked at the top, the box with the drawer has the divider cut in the top chamber. As per your comment on the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer, I think its a great addition to a bandsaw when using a tiny blade. I use an 1/8" blade on my Ridgid BS and there was no other way to control a small blade otherwise. Neat for me is it also fits my bigger Grizzly BS, but I almost never use the small blades on that saw.

Wow! I didn't look at the linked thread. Those are beautiful! Very nice work and finish. I was using a 1/4" TimberWolf blade for mine because my roller bearings won't allow for a 1/8" blade. You know, I saw someone online selling boxes lined with felt which were based on that design for $159 each. I think its a very streamlined design, and the lack of visible hinges is nice too!

I think I may have to get the Carter Stabilizer and a 3/16" or 1/8" Timberwolf blade. I need to get a 1/2" too!

I am glad this thread resurfaced,

-R

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    You know, I saw someone online selling boxes lined with felt which were based on that design for $159 each.
    -R
    I was in Estes Park recently and saw bandsaw boxes going for over $300 each at a "Gallery". They were OK, similar to the Lois Ventura designs, but nothing spectacular. I doubt that store sold many at that price.

FYI, you don't need to line the drawers with felt. You just get this stuff called flocking. It's a kind of powdered fabric. You brush some glue onto the drawer surface and spray it on with a cardboard tube. When it's dry, it looks like the drawers are lined with felt. It's inexpensive and very effective: two features I appreciate!

Looks GREAT!

Just wondering what bandsaw you own?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale