Thread: Cheesey B/Birch

Cheesey B/Birch

Just got a sheet of baltic birch, had it cut up so I could get it in my car, got it home and - as I'm unloading it from my little CRV - noticed it looked a little thin. When I put a tape on it, discovered it was a full 1/16th under 3/4", right between 5/8ths and 3/4's. The lumber yard relunctly agreed to take it back (eventhough it was in 8 pieces). They said it came from their supplier that way whose on the metric system (that's what he said!). I said it wasn't sold to me as a metric measurement as the sales slip clearly says "3/4 inch baltic birch". I hope this is not the beginning of things to come, that it is an isolated incident. By the way, with an $11.97 cutting charge, tax and the wood = $104.23 (5' x5' sheet). Geese, this little hobby of mine is not for the faint of heart. End of rant.

Where I'm at the 3/4" baltic birch is 19mm, comes in just under 3/4" sanded, costs about $75. Full sheets fit in my van so I've never had them cut. Sounds more like the purchaser at the yard you use doesn't quite get the metric system, sold you the wrong goods.

I have been buying BB from the local store because I usually dont plan for the BB projects. Out of curiosity I priced out a lift (22sheets) wholesale (future kitchen project) when I ordered my last batch of rough lumber. 3/4" BB was $39.65 per sheet if i buy a lift, compared to $75 at the local store. Hmm, 100% markup.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I have been buying BB from the local store because I usually dont plan for the BB projects. Out of curiosity I priced out a lift (22sheets) wholesale (future kitchen project) when I ordered my last batch of rough lumber. 3/4" BB was $39.65 per sheet if i buy a lift, compared to $75 at the local store. Hmm, 100% markup.

Brad
    Brad,
    I would be interested in the dates of your pricings. Our wholesale supplier was out of stock on 18mm BB as of late Nov.,and when we saw it in early Feb or so, it had increased in price to just under double compared with Nov. But, while the 12mm BB went up also, not nearly as severely. There may be a trend here, which is unfortunate.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan, it seems to be difficult to aquire the BB. About six months ago I had asked them too and they had been waiting for a shipment for some time. I just got the price about two days ago and they still had lifts in stock, but the salesman did mention that I should not wait too long. I think they had bought a huge quantity sometime ago. Seems everyone likes the 5' sq sheets.

Brad

My supplier here has all thicknesses now. They didnt for several months. Its $51 here for 3/4. I havent used it in ages. I can get a 4x8 shop maple for that cost with no footballs and most of the time 2 clean sides.

I found the same thing with some Chinese BB. Last time I'll ever buy that junk. It was bad.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Brad, where are you pricing out the lift from?

3/4" plywood isn't.

I have never seen any that wasn't a metric size. It is normal for them to be listed as 3/4. Thats why router bits are sold undersize specially for doing dados for plywood sheet stock.

Engineered panels are normally in english measurements. Melamine,particle board and MDF are almost always full size.

You would need to put a caliper on the stock, it most likely was 18mm which is around .700, a little less than 1/16th under.

The price seems a bit high for 5x5 but not to far out. BB is expensive stuff.

It is a sign of things to come, just account for it when you build or use manufactured panels like melamine or MDF.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Mike, I am pricing from a Canadian Wholesaler way way north of you. PJ Whitehardwoods. They do not mess around with any Chinese products.

Brad

The name says it all Baltic Birch, which implies that it's from the Baltic region of Europe

The reason it is metric, is because that's what most of the world is, and the plywood was made in countries that use the metric system.

The problem comes about when retailers label it as 3/4" instead of the actual thickness of 19mm, 12 mm etc.

regards, Rod.