Thread: Up Comming Computer Desk Project

Up Comming Computer Desk Project

Hi,
    I am building this for a little old lady that want a computer desk for a fmall room.

I am planning on Cherry Plywood and Red Oak.
    If you go through a whole day and didn't learn something new, you wasted it!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like the design. If it's going to be a computer desk, is the lady going to sit at an angle? Is it a space constraint that forcing this design?

Something to consider. A desk with a top at the correct height for the monitor will be "too high" for the keyboard. The keyboard needs to be on a slide out tray under the desk top. This will not be possible with the design in your image. If space is an issue, you might be better to think about squaring off the front of the desk and using a depth of around 20". This is usually too shallow for a desk but for a computer desk it's fine if you use a keyboard tray.
    David DeCristoforo

Hi,
    Yes there is a space constraint. THe straight section will hold a Multi-function printer and the angled section is for the laptop. The reasin for the angle is that there is a TV to the left so with the angle will make it easyer getting in and out without bumping into the TV.

That is a small desk, and where does the computer go? Probably down close to the floor so it can suck up the dust bunnies. As a computer guy I hate that all these desks put the PC down in the dirt and out of the way where you can't get access.

Here is a desk I have almost just finished. Almost because I am going to put a shelf along the back, a little higher than a CD case, for the flat panels to go. This is sized for me height wise and does not have a keyboard drawer as I hate them, peronal preference. The PC's, one work and one play, are at the perfect height to plug in something or toss in a CD\DVD, and they are away from the bunnies. The drawers on the right are a filing drawer on bottom, hanging file folders fit in there, and two normal desk drawers. On the left, the bottom drawer is my computer junk drawer, it is big, and the one above that is a false drawer, the door pulls down to allow access. It's a shelf with the UPS and network switch, this keeps most of the cables under control. The printer is on top as you can see with paper shelfs underneath, can hold up to legal size. The top has a lip around it so nothing falls off, at least not easily. The PC shelf has airflow that goes up behind the paper shelf and I drilled a bunch of holes in a staggered pattern for air flow and they are hidden by the paper shelf. I checked with both systems on for hours and it gets a little warm back there but nowhere near as hot as a lot of commercial computer desks get, and that is without the AC turned on.

Desk is 5' 6" x 2' to fit on the wall between the door and the futon, this is my office\guest room so the futon needed to be able to be turned into a bed. If not for that, I would have made it slightly longer, but not much. Made from sanded ply and red oak from the borg down the street. Finished with Behr Tung oil, which actually has Tung oil in it according to the label , 3-4 coats depending on how thirsty the wood was, and then Johnsons paste wax. I'm still learning finishing so I didn't go for really good wood on this. But I like it, it works for me, and I made it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Rick,
    This is for a laptop.

I am an IT professional also.

"I am an IT professional also."

If you place a laptop on a "standard" height desk, it is going to be too high for proper "ergonomic" positioning. Especially for an older person who may have to deal with any number of issues (joint stiffening, circulation, etc.) The design you show in the picture will "work", and maybe that's the "only way" to make it "fit" but it is still an awkward design.
    David DeCristoforo

Computer Desk

I Don't Know About How Well Your Design Would Work But I Think It Is A Prety Nice Design And Cool Looking.when I Design I Always Looking For The Different Or As I Call It My Flair.i Like The Looks. Jack

There is a cross brace underneath the desk. Locating it lower (about 12" off the floor) makes a great foot rest and possible location for speakers / routers/ cable modem, etc. Or an inaccessible bookshelf.

The shelf under the desk is intended for the cable modem, router and print server. As for the desk hight, she is already comfortable working at kitchen table hight. She will be using an adjustible chair.

Sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

Improvise, adapt and overcome. Words spoken by a wise man, although written by someone else for sure.

Ultimately it is the consumer who must like it or not. If she's happy so should you be.

Considering the space constraints the design looks cool if nothing else. I look forward to seeing the final. I don't remember seeing oak mixed with cherry before but the mock up looks nice.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Randy, what really counts is.!. If the customer likes it. If it works for her, If she pays your price, and most of all, IF she has you do more work for her. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

How about electrical connections

Looks Nice

If it sets in front of an outlet, the courtesy panel will cover the AC outlet if it is needed.

"...what really counts is... If the customer likes it."

Well that is a good point! And I did not mean to "belittle" Randy's design. I just have some concerns about it. He has already laid one to rest by pointing out that the lady likes the working height so that's moot. But I'm still thinking it looks awkward (just my own personal opinion...) and I would be concerned about things like the lady's knees hitting the side panel when she tries to scoot her chair in because of the restricted knee space. Then again, technically speaking, Randy did not actually ask for anyone's opinion so feel free to tell me to (fill in whatever you like here....)
    David DeCristoforo

Even with a laptop - there isn't alot of room for hardcopy off to the right (if you are transcribing or working from hardcopy). If that isn't an issue - you're good to go.

Just as a (cheap) experiment - why not cut a piece of cardboard (or masonite if you want to spend a few $$), prop it up at the appropriate height and see if she can do everything comfortably. A little prototyping will sometimes reveal problems (and opportunities) you won't be aware of with a CAD drawing.