Thread: I need some guidance . . .

I need some guidance . . .

I've tried to cut the RWB corian into thin strips (about 1/8") to glue together and make the center bands, but the table saw cuts too big of a kerf and wastes as much as I am trying to keep.

The bandsaw will cut it, but it's not perfectly flat and even and when I sand it flat, invaribly, it sands more in some areas than others and the thickness is not uniform. It looks terrible when glued together.

How are all of you doing this and making it look right?

For center bands, are you gluing a piece of 7mm tube in the hole to keep the band snug on the pen or just drilling a smaller hole?

Thanks!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Stringer
    I've tried to cut the RWB corian into thin strips (about 1/8") to glue together and make the center bands, but the table saw cuts too big of a kerf and wastes as much as I am trying to keep.

The bandsaw will cut it, but it's not perfectly flat and even and when I sand it flat, invaribly, it sands more in some areas than others and the thickness is not uniform. It looks terrible when glued together.

How are all of you doing this and making it look right?

For center bands, are you gluing a piece of 7mm tube in the hole to keep the band snug on the pen or just drilling a smaller hole?

Thanks!

Jerry
    Jerry....

Just a minute and I will post pics and instructions of how I am doing it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Jerry,

I haven't been cutting pieces that thin yet, but plan to soon. Over on Penturners.org there are two articles showing cutting sleds, one for the bandsaw and one for the tablesaw. Either of these should make the process much safer!

As far as centerbands, you can glue then to either the top or bottom barrel, have them so the brass tube extends inside the band or not, or just have the centerband loose! You choose! Russ Fairfield's second video has a great segment on adding a glued centerband. I wrote an article on loose centerbands for the American Woodturner, and a copy of that article is also over at Penturners.org. I hope Dennis gives you a bang-up description of how he is doing it, then maybe I can talk him into doing an article over there as well!

Good Luck!

Scott.

Jerry,
    I use the bandsaw to resaw half inch corian into thirds. Mine cuts it pretty even. Then double sticky tape pieces to a flat piece of wood and run it over a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper on a granite plate or other flat surface. Do both sides. Then I glue up the pieces into red white and blue stripes, drill 1/4" holes at proper intervals and cut off the squares on the bandsaw. Hope this helps.
    Ted

OK Jerry.....le'me give this a shot.

I first setup the BS to cut the corian lenth-ways to 1/2" wide. This gives me a 1/2" by 1/2" square of corian.

Pic 1. Shows my homemade zero clearance table gizmo and the fence set at just slightly over 1/8". I hold the square end of the corian again the fence and push it through slowly. I do this for as many pieces as I need of each color.

Pic 2. Shows my serious woodworkers sanding system for sanding the corian pieces. Finger and thumb, one on each side of the little corian square and sand in a "circular" motion. This will help sand the corian smooth and as flat as your gonna get it by hand. Don't apply too much pressure while sanding. A light touch and a small bit of pressure is all it takes to sand it well.

Pic 3. I use Medium Super Glue to glue up the corian. Here you can see what the corian sandwich looks like all glued up.

Pic 4. Is a shot of by fancy drill press setup for drilling the corian squares. I use a "D" size drill bit....or one that will <i>just fit</i> the pen mandrel. I hold the little square on top of the wooden block I use for drilling out the pen blanks.

Pic 5. Shows what the corian blank looks like after drilling. Nope...it's not perfect, but you are going to turn the pen AND the center band at the same time....I just turn until the center corian band is nice and round.

Pic 6. (this may have to go in another post but here is the verbage anyway)....This shows the little corian square glued up and held together by some of my small spring clamps.

BTW, I use my 1/2" SKEW Chisel to get the band the exact same as the pen blank and even use the skew on the pens to get the smoothest possible finish to cut down on sanding time. Works great.!!!

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Pic #6....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis -

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I resaw strips 1/8" thick 6" long corian on my bandsaw. I have adheasive backed 3M Gold sandpaper attached to a glass plate which I then use to sand lightly with 80 grit paper (alla, the scary sharp process). I then glue the 3 strips together with gel super glue, clamp tightly and let sit overnight usually (a couple hours would probably be enough). I then drill .250" holes every 5/8" along the length of the glued up strips. Then I cut off between the holes on my BS and end up with nice squares of r/w/b center band blanks. "No runs, no drips (gaps), no errors". A piece of cake.

I have been meaning to photo this process but haven't had the time lately. I will do that tommorow when I hit the shop.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Another Method

Jerry:
    I thought that I was replying to this message, but somehow posted a new thread titled "another method" Imaginative title!

Larry

Do Not put the Cap to the CA glue in YOUR mouth!!!!

hows that for help??
    Keep those lathes spinning
    TheWrightPen.com