Thread: Low Cost Solid Walnut Furniture

Low Cost Solid Walnut Furniture

I saw a solid walnut table at Ikea in Seattle about 2 years ago. I think it was $99 then for a small walnut coffee table and that seemed like an incredible value. Now look at this:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40049684

The HOL cubes are also solid walnut and low cost.
    I can see pine or some asian hardwood being in this price range, but WALNUT?

This makes me wonder what country has cheap labor and cheap walnut?

Isn't it amazing that they can use real solid walnut and make a profit at these prices?

I've a hard time believing that this is actually solid walnut.

A little bit off topic, but what's walnut? Seems like a stupid question...but. I went to my local lumberyard and asked if they could get some walnut for me. I was told - yes, but it will be African walnut. Which may well be a wood that looks like walnut but of a completely different family.

Which got me to thinking. Are there any rules or laws governing wood names in a product description? As a ridiculous example - if I stained pine dark and called it rosewood would I be doing anything illegal? I'm sure I'd be called on it by anyone who knows anything about woods, but would it be illegal? Look at Phillipine mahogany (lauan). Everyone knows it's not mahogany but it keeps the name.

Don't know about the IKEA piece. There was a table posted here a few weeks ago by a German maker. He said it was American walnut. I asked him and he said imported American walnut was cheaper than their domestic walnut.....what he called "French" walnut.
    And now for something completely different....

Probably stained walnut sapwood?

I've seen imported boxes and chests that were teak, which actually sold for less than the lumber by itself would have sold for.

But you also have to look at how many pieces of furniture are sold as "cherry" based on the finish/color.

That particular piece is constructed from relatively small components, so solid stock is about the only way to do it. Don't underestimate Ikea. The low end stuff is, well...low end...but they have a wide range of quality and the top of the line products are better quality than many of the things I have seen in big-buck furniture stores. They have been introducing a number of products like you show that get away from manufactured materials. (Mike, I'm literally about to run out to Ikea for some more things I need for our new master closet. If I see the piece referenced in the first post, I'll check it out and comment again)

Ikea has a number of things made from solid stock. The Hemnes dresser pictured below that I gave to my older daughter is solid pine. Frame and panel construction, but uniquely knock down. The smell of the pine completely permeated my vehicle while bringing it home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw a table in person that was like the Hol (grid) designs. It was unfinished wood and yes the price card said "solid walnut". It looked exactly like Black Walnut from the good ol USofA. At $99 for a 2'x3' coffee table I was shocked, that was 2 years ago.

Jim, Please let us know what you see today at Ikea, and look to see what country it's made in.

So I looked it up and the USA is first in walnut (the nuts) production,but guess who is second? Ta da China!

So when will Grizzly,Jet and Harbor Freight start selling walnut lumber? My guess is the shipping costs mean it only pays to ship walnut furniture.

Jim, I couldn't find that particular table with one quick pass through the entire store and I didn't have time to inquire...'had to get home to complete the master closet project in the addition. (And did... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The low end stuff is, well...low end...but they have a wide range of quality and the top of the line products are better quality than many of the things I have seen in big-buck furniture stores.

FWIW Bo Concept is Ikea's "high end" line.

Last year I moved my Son to Seattle. We went to a nearby IKEA to find him some furniture. I don't know about other IKEA stores, but the Seattle store is absolutely gigantic!

My son and I perused most of the IKEA store. They have everything from low-end "starter furniture" to very high quality pieces. My son was able to find a small table with four chairs for less money than anywhere else around; even Target. It was solid wood, although I don't know what kind. It was a soft wood, but it was perfect for my son's tiny apartment.

IKEA furniture pieces are also little engineering marvels. Even the largest pieces are flat-packed and can be assembled with a screwdriver and a few hex wrenches.