Thread: Sander - need an excuse to buy one. Spindle? Disc?

Talking Sander - need an excuse to buy one. Spindle? Disc?

The shop is coming out of hibernation for two brief projects, then its back to the 24 hour career channel! But in the meantime, I can make some sawdust!

First project is some new rails for the bannister (current ones aren't child safe). I've got to make a lot of them and sanding is going to be an issue. I can get the faces easily enough before I rip the boards down, but the edges... there are a lot of edges to do!

So I'm angling for an excuse to get a new tool. But which one? A disc sander? An oscillating spindle sander? I've never understood disc sanders - seems like you'd just burr up one edge and then the other and would still have arced sanding marks...

I can't sneak an edgesander or a drum sander in at this time - and all of the above is NOT acceptable to SWMBO/LOML/MOMC!

Or maybe just make a trip to Spring Green to see a real wood shop and sneak some pieces through the new drum sander that lives there....

Thanks for the advice.

Eliot Mason, briefly out of wood hibernation

Eliot, for all-around use, I think a belt/disc sander combo is a good choice. I use mine quite a bit. In fact, more than I thought I would when I bought it! For your intended work, however, I think a short road trip to the River Valley is in order! Heck, from Waunakee, it's only about a 45 min. ride! Drop me a line and we can make it happen!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John: Thanks for the advice and the offer. Visiting would be great, but could set off some serious envy that I just can't handle right now! Maybe once I move out of the basement into an Arkansas Board of Woodworking approved 45x45 in the back yard....

btw, we'll have to coordinate on any possible eBay auctions to make sure we're not bidding each other up...

EM

Quote Originally Posted by EliotMason
    John: Thanks for the advice and the offer. Visiting would be great, but could set off some serious envy that I just can't handle right now! Maybe once I move out of the basement into an Arkansas Board of Woodworking approved 45x45 in the back yard....

btw, we'll have to coordinate on any possible eBay auctions to make sure we're not bidding each other up...

EM
    Eliot, the offer is a standing one, so if you're ever in this neck 'o the woods, feel free to drop in. If you have need to get all those spindles sanded, don't hesitate.

Nothing to be envious about at this point in time. Once I get some of this equipment turning out the type of work I need it for, then...maybe. Until such point in time, it's just a bunch of organized pieces of steel and motors.

Yeah, no kidding on the eBay thing! The only thing I really need right now is "skill" to use the stuff I have. Don't ever remember seeing that on the old auction site! Oh, and BTW, be aware that, if you get the ABW approval to build that 45x45 shop, you'll be *required* to get some hands-on training from those boys and take their "Shop Cleaning 101" course! I believe Terry H. is close to his PHD in that particular major, while getting a minor in "Weekend Speed-Building"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Eliot, the offer is a standing one, so if you're ever in this neck 'o the woods, feel free to drop in. If you have need to get all those spindles sanded, don't hesitate.
    Thanks! Next time I'm out that way I'll give you a heads-up to expect a visitor.

[/QUOTE]Oh, and BTW, be aware that, if you get the ABW approval to build that 45x45 shop, you'll be *required* to get some hands-on training from those boys and take their "Shop Cleaning 101" course! I believe Terry H. is close to his PHD in that particular major, while getting a minor in "Weekend Speed-Building"! [/QUOTE]

Actually... it's already built. But it needs some work, and some stuff called "insulation" and a heater to go with it. Hopefully summer of 2005 will see me move in. But yes, I'll have to book a class in Arkansas in preparation. A bunch of clean-room workers from Intel, Motorola, etc must retire down there...

EM

Quote Originally Posted by EliotMason
    Actually... it's already built. But it needs some work, and some stuff called "insulation" and a heater to go with it. Hopefully summer of 2005 will see me move in. But yes, I'll have to book a class in Arkansas in preparation. A bunch of clean-room workers from Intel, Motorola, etc must retire down there...

EM
    Well, hot dawgie!!! Another "garagemahall"! Good for you! Heck, that would take some effort to fill, even for me! You definitely need to stop out the next time your cruising through....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas