Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow setting Resin Glue - which one?

Slow setting Resin Glue - which one?

David Marks is addicted to slow setting resin glue. I can see why, it's nerve racking when feeling rushed.

Is DAP the only maker of resin glue? I never hear of other brands? Any recommendations?

I've used this with good results, tho you need something like a diet scale to measure out the resin and hardener by weight to mix it
    http://nelsonpaint.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=UA
    Use the fence Luke

Urea formaldehyde:
    1. DAP's Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue
    2. Unibond 800 is my preference.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al, thanks for the lead....

I am curious.... unibond 800, the shelf life listed at....

6 months at 75° F

Is this after you mix it, or is this in its pre-mix condition?

that's the shelf life of the resin. the catalyst lasts indefinitely.

I think their shelf life estimates are on the pessimistic side, but I keep mine in the fridge to be on the safe side.

David Marks

I took a woodworking class from David in late Feb and during one of the demos he pointed out that the Nelson brand posted by Doug is the one he uses. I would bet they are all similar though.

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Not to steal the thread but...
    I have to glue up a large cabinet with dividers and shelves all at once. A little extra time would be nice. I checked WoodCraft.com; the only resin glue they have is for veneering, but it says that clean up must be before it sets or it can't be cleaned up.
    1) Is resin that hard to clean up? Some squeeze out will happen, how does one deal with that? (it is easy to say "don't use too much", but its not easy to do)
    2) Where would it be available, if not at WoodCraft? HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    I took a woodworking class from David in late Feb and during one of the demos he pointed out that the Nelson brand posted by Doug is the one he uses. I would bet they are all similar though.

Dewey
    It's possible he's the one I found it thru. I read a mag artcle about 10-15 years ago and the author (I dont recall who) recommended it for bent lams, so that's what I looked for when I got around to doing some lams.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post

Dewey
    Urac 185. I use it alot.

http://nelsonpaint.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=UA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mann View Post
    that's the shelf life of the resin. the catalyst lasts indefinitely.

I think their shelf life estimates are on the pessimistic side, but I keep mine in the fridge to be on the safe side.
    When it's old, the resin gets really thick (viscous), to the point that you really can't do anything with it (at least that's what happens to the Unibond.)

Keeping it in the fridge sounds like a good idea.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used Craftsman plastic resin on my boat mahogany brightwork in the '70s. Don't use a plane to knock down cured squeezeout. It's really hard and brittle. Its also absolutely waterproof. Did I mention it's hard?

I don't think they handle it any more, but I'm sure the DAP brand is OK. Seems like pretty simple technology. Keep it in a drybox.

I always had good luck, but I never used it if there was any possibility of the parts flexing.

Art

Cleanup etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Not to steal the thread but...
    I have to glue up a large cabinet with dividers and shelves all at once. A little extra time would be nice. I checked WoodCraft.com; the only resin glue they have is for veneering, but it says that clean up must be before it sets or it can't be cleaned up.
    1) Is resin that hard to clean up? Some squeeze out will happen, how does one deal with that? (it is easy to say "don't use too much", but its not easy to do)
    2) Where would it be available, if not at WoodCraft? HD?
    When fully cured Plastic Resin glue will be like glass. It is very, very hard. So when I have used it I make sure that I either tape off the joints for sqeeze-out or I use a damp rag(s) and a chisel to really get the area clean. You will have plenty of time for the clean up. Even after 12 hours the glue is somwhat plyable and within the first hour it is still wet.

I usually buy from woodcraft but you can order it online. For example.

http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm

or even Highland hardware carries it. But not available at HD or Lowes.

On another note. Don't forget that Urea Formaldehyde (Plasic Resin) glues are very toxic. You should at the least wear a dust mask and probably a respirator when mixing it as the power has a nasty tendency to become air borne.

Hi Todd, good info.

I am aware of its toxic nature, hence why I am being careful.... Considering TiteBond Extend II has 15 minute open time, and the UniBond at 80 degrees is only 20 minutes, I am not seeing the huge advantage I once thought.... probably because Dap Weldwood listed 120 minutes open time, not sure how theres can be so much greater?

LV G1 and G2 Epoxy is listed as 60 and 40 minutes respectively. thoughts?

I seem to recall that the Dap open time was about 30 min. That was plenty for me to make a bent wood lamination, but I think there may be less open time than you think.

Ace Hardware will ship the DAP Weldwood to an Ace near your house for no ship charge. I woudl recommend that you order a large tub. In my limited experience the stores don't stock the large tubs, so there is a less likely change of getting stock that has been sitting around a store for a few years (only sitting around a warehouse). FWIW, my large tub was pretty much fresh from the factory.

And be sure to wear gloves when handling it after it hardends. There will be edges sharp enough to cut you. DAMHIKT

epoxy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Hi Todd, good info.

I am aware of its toxic nature, hence why I am being careful.... Considering TiteBond Extend II has 15 minute open time, and the UniBond at 80 degrees is only 20 minutes, I am not seeing the huge advantage I once thought.... probably because Dap Weldwood listed 120 minutes open time, not sure how theres can be so much greater?

LV G1 and G2 Epoxy is listed as 60 and 40 minutes respectively. thoughts?
    Well you could use 60 minute epoxy but that is gonna cost some cash. I think most people would use epoxy except the $$$ is the hangup. And yes Temperature is a huge factor in open time. But I think they underestimate the times. For example you can pretty easily get 45 min at 70 degree. I thknk the web address I gave you has a chart on temp vs open time for various glues.

If you want even more info you can read the article below.

http://www.djmarks.com/pdf/ureaglue.pdf