Thread: Lessons I learned tonight!

Lessons I learned tonight!

After a week of dealing with a "honey-do" list as long as your leg, I finally got some time in the shop this evening to make some sawdust. It "turned" out to be a night for lessons . . .

1. I learned that the nib on the pen MUST be aligned correctly before you try to press it into the lower pen barrel. Failure to do this will result in an egg-shape at the end of the tube and split wood.

2. I learned that if you put too much CA glue on the tenon when gluing on the center ring of a Euro stye pen, the glue gooshes out onto the ring and nicely finished pen. Trying to wipe it off only makes the situation worse.

3. I learned that you can put a pen ruined by #2 above back on the mandrel and actually turn the brass center ring off! Then an extra ring can be glued on with a lesser amount of CA glue.

4. I learned that no matter how full your hands are, ALWAYS take the cap off the CA glue with your fingers. NEVER EVER use your teeth to remove the cap.

5. I learned that if you choose to ignore #4 above, NEVER EVER just hold the CA glue cap in your lips while you apply the glue!

6. I learned that even though a person's tongue is wet with saliva, CA glue will STILL adhere very well to it . . . AND . . . will adhere the wet tongue to the inside of the bottom lip . . . AND . . . will adhere to the old, dried glue on the CA glue cap!

7. I learned that frantically attempting to spit out a CA glue cap that is glued in your mouth is pointless - as well as very difficult when your tongue is glued to you lower lip!

8. I learned that after CA glue has bonded to your skin, acetone will not cause the glue to release.

9. I learned that I hate the taste of acetone - not to mention that it really burns one's tongue and lips if it comes in contact with them.

10. I learned that by the time you get hardened CA glue off of your lip, you will look like you have a large fever blister!

10. I learned that my wonderful wife, who loves me deeply, will laugh uncontrollably at me when I really need her help.

Jerry

All of the symptoms you post are symptoms of being tired. At least, for me anyways. I tend to do the silly things when Ive had a hard week or something like that.

I gotta say though, I have done some stupid things in my shop, but never what you listed.........

I had this vision as I was reading it and Im right there with your wife, I couldn't have done anything to help you coz I would have been in histerics.......

Try telling the kids at school you are not contagious with that thing on your lip.....

thanks for the laugh (and the heads up)

stay safe bro

ROFLMAO!!! What a way to start out a Monday! Thanks Jerry and really, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing with the rest of the people reading this! Really, thanks. It's great when we can laugh at ourselves. (Might as well, heh? Couldn't eat or drink without the aid of a straw, as long as you had that glue cap anchored to your lip!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

That's hilarious--what a riot!

_Aaron_

CA & Moisture!

Jerry,

CA works even better (quicker too!) in a moist environment (as you already found out).

Well anyway, my company makes small precision fluid pumps and we do a bunch of applications where the customer will be pumping CA either for packaging or gluing parts together, etc. Well here's a story to make you feel a little better. Our President was doing some fluidic experiments in an enclosed room and the vapors from the CA being pumped actually got into his eyes and glued his eyelids shut. We carefully used Glacial Acetic Acid to wipe on his eyelids until they were opened up again. (Glacial Acetic Acid is just extremely strong vinegar - you can use vinegar to correct your CA woopsies.) If you are not very careful with Glacial Acetic Acid, you will have your skin peel off like the skin on an orange, so it definitely isn't something to play with, but vinegar is about 1000 times weaker than the Acetic Acid we use which will actually eat through Nitriler Gloves after some time, so we change gloves pretty regularly when we mess with the stuff.

Just thought you'd feel a little better after that story - Jerry!!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Jerry,

Thank you for a good laugh even if it was at your expense. I feel your pain both from the CA and SWMBO. Just remember, our wives were dumb enough to marry us.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Ouch!!!

I have not laughed that hard in a long time. What a sight that must have been. You won't live that down for a while.
    Sometimes your the dog, sometimes your the fire hydrant.

Jerry or should I say sticky lip sorry couldn't resist I must also admit I couldn't stop laughing but for a moment that I read it to my wife who starting laughing . thanks for the moment

Talking

Jerry - That was just about the funniest thing I have read today. Thanks for the laugh, I sure needed it. I am reminded of the movie "Dumb and dumber" where one of the characters glues (freezes) his tongue to the ski lift. I keep picturing you pulling on the cap and your wife rolling on the floor. I am also glad you are okay.
    Last edited by Waymon Campbell; 03-29-2004 at 8:51 PM.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Jerry,
    I really feel for you, right over here between the first and second ribs. you know the two that feel like their going to split apart when you laugh to much? I'm feeling really bad right their. other than that great story. thanks for being able to laugh at yourself. i really needed that today.
    Daniel

Talking

Jerry,
    What a great story. I can picture this all happening to you and can imagine your frustration as things got worse. This was a story that really had me going.
    Thanks for the entertainment.

Joe