Thread: Flatsawn Maple

Flatsawn Maple

I have a line on about 150 board feet of flatsawn maple. Just wondering if it would be a horrible idea to use this due to wood movement or not. The price is pretty good and I'm trying to put enough lumber togeather to start a workbench project.

Go for it. I never pass up wood when I get a deal on it.

...I agree with not passing up a good deal on wood when available..... you didn't say how thick the boards are and
    unless they are very thick (8/4 minimum) you might want to consider ripping the boards into 2 and half to 3 inch widths, turning them 90 degrees and gluing the former 'faces' together so that you get to get a thick benchtop....

.... there are lots of articles in the various forums on such "laminated benchtops"

good luck

michael

Chances are all maple you get at your wood supplier will be flatsawn unless otherwise specified. Quartersawing or riftsawing is more labor intensive and results in less yield per log vs. flatsawing so sawyers have two reasons to flatsaw "run of the mill" (maybe that's where the phrase came from) wood. Properly processed wood generally prosents no problems in handling except possibly when exposed to high humidity for extended periods. I have air dried pecan and sycamore, two species noted for movement, and have not had any problems with movement after drying. Granted, I live in a part of the country that generally has a lower humidity than everything east of me.
    And now for something completely different....

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll pick it up and then find a project from there.

Why wouldn't you use the maple for your workbench? Flatsawn maple is what is used to make a laminated top and it's excellent for all the other parts too
    Howie.........

Flat sawn hard maple will make a wonderful bench and soft maple would be good too. Ambrosia maple would be so so, but the bug holes are not great. Be careful about the pricing. Maple prices have been going down. With the quantity you need for a proper workbench you should be able to buy wholesale so there is no reason to cut corners.

Good luck with the project
    Brad