Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nova Dvr questions

Our local Woodcraft used DVRs for classes and for visiting turners from its introduction until about a year ago. They (including Allan Batty) all liked the DVR, with one exception -- speed changes were so annoyingly slow compared with other VS lathes they had used that it was a continuing complaint through all the demos. I don't know if this is still an issue with the current DVRs.

Well using the 5rpm increments it is a little slow but having the presets is nice becasue you can just jump to the closest and move from there if you need to. When you hold down the change buttons it does get moving very quickly in a couple seconds.
    As far as the power is concerned I have never stalled mine while turning, but I have a few times while coring. But it has plenty of power to rip the tenon off a bowl while coring... at least thats what I hear
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Kevin, Your avitar is disturbing. What is it? If it's a pic of you, please accept my apologies. But I doubt it, just trying to cover the bases.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Bill
    I didn't check, but if he is talking about the General International 16-650, leave it off your list.

I looked at one when I was shopping and decided not to (on fit and finish issues of the unit I looked at). But later I read the FWW review and learned that while they have a 1-1/4 spindle, but that gets reduced to a 1 inch shaft inside.

Then someone I know bought one and had enough issues he made General take it back.

I would stick to your short list. It was my short list also. I went with the DVR-XP for two reasons size and price.

While swivel is nice, I have to re-align the head stock to the tail stock, when I do swing it. Not a huge issue, but it does add a few seconds to my time

Today, I might not make the same choice.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I think the DVR is a fine lathe. In the 7 or 8 months I've used it, it has never stalled, and it's solid as a rock, though I have it bolted to a heavy beech workbench. And the swivel head is a great feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post

While swivel is nice, I have to re-align the head stock to the tail stock, when I do swing it. Not a huge issue, but it does add a few seconds to my time
    This $17 gadget should be a big help:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...es-acc-mrstool
    Gordon

I use the gadget Gordon is talking about. Works slick and lines up everytime.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

HEHE it is me in a "modified" form. I have an iMac and it has a program that runs its built in camera and it has all kinds of picture bending and twisting modes and this one makes me laugh so I figured it would be a good avatar.
    Kevin

Cool but scary.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Is this better?
    Kevin

Hi,

At the moment, I'm in VA, w/the DVR I bought at the Louisville show two years ago. At that time, they had announced some improvements over the previous model. I can stall mine, but only if I'm bowl coring a very large dry blank. I do like the swivel feature as it saves wear and tear on my back. You can switch the DVR easily to 220, but I have hesitated to do so, because Teknatool advises you to have some overload protection for the computer, That's easy enough on a 110 outlet, but much more complicated on the 220. I made my own stand and put it on a Delta mobile kit made for their heavy duty jointers. I believe you'll like it. If you are headed for the Richmond show, you might be able to get it cheaper. I not only got mine at 10% off but they also threw in an outboard rig (about $275 at that time), so I came out quite well.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I have had the DVR (not the XP) for about 4 years, now. I have it set up against a wall on a DIY built stand. The rotating headstock is very handy. The lathe runs smoothly with adequate power. I only have 2 complaints. First, I agree that the speed changes are somewhat slow. Second, this lathe generates significant RF interference (noise) on the AM radio band. This makes it impossible to listen to AM while turning.

I think Teknatool should offer upgrades/fixes for both of these issues for original DVR owners. Especially for the speed change issue because it is very easy to change out the control panel. Unfortunately, they haven't made this available (shame on them for that). I guess the most likely reason is that this would compete with the XP. Maybe I should make an inquiry to Tim Geist.

Some older DVRs can be updated to the 5 presets, contact Tim. My 3520b also causes interference on the AM band, solution for me, I loaded all the songs I like on to the computer that I have in my turning area. Play MP3s all day long!

Nova DVR

Hello,

I can't say much about the DVR, but I am saving my pennys, and hope to be bringing home a new Nova 1624 in the very near future. I dropped the bomb on SWMBO last week, and now I juist have to keep chipping away until the she finally gives in. Until then, I'll keep on chugging with my Palmgren.

Dan Heine

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine View Post
    Hello,

I can't say much about the DVR, but I am saving my pennys, and hope to be bringing home a new Nova 1624 in the very near future. I dropped the bomb on SWMBO last week, and now I juist have to keep chipping away until the she finally gives in.
    Daniel,

Why you have to wait for her to give in? Why not both?

You should drop the bomb with double the price, then you both give in a little. Instead of the 1624, you should ask for DVR. When she think you give in, she feels good. You spend a thousand or save a thousand. It is half full or half empty, depending on how you look at it.
    Gordon