Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need 2' or 3' of air hose

Need 2' or 3' of air hose

I need 2 or 3 feet of 1/2" air hose to put between my compressor and a pressure regulator/filter/water separator gizmo that I bought. I want to mount the gizmo on the wall next to the compressor, and connect it to the compressor with flexible hose to isolate compressor vibration from the regulator.

I would swear that I just read a thread from someone else asking the same question, but now I can't find it.

Does anyone know where I can get a short, two- or three-foot piece of air hose with threaded fittings on the ends for this application?

Thanks for any clues. I seem to be coming up dry in Google.

I got mine from HF

I sacrificed a rubber hose with a knife and put in some barbed fittings and secured them with hose clamps. Prolly $3 worth of metal and the hose i just had laying around.

I don't see any 1/2" jumpers at HF, but here are their two 3/8" ones:

3/8" NPT: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91295
    1/4" NPT: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91294
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

"all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Here is what I used for my hookup.
    http://www.tptools.com/p/787,112_Fle...etal-Hose.html

If I recall, when I piped my old shop, I ordered a short piece of 1 inch hi-pressure hydraulic hose from Northern Tools.

Wanted to make sure I didn't constrict the air flow right at the compressor.

Used a 'union' fitting to secure it to the tank. It made sure there wasn't any vibration (metal to metal) transferred from the compressor to the pipe, and to the rest of the house...

Tractor Supply has hydraulic hoses in small enough sizes. I bought a 1/2" hose to connect my compressor to the plumbing on the wall. It works great and the rating is in the 1000's of PSI, so I think it'll hold.

Northern Tool - short hose for air

I got mine at Northern Tool. Cheap, seem to be good quality. They have been in service for about 3 years now, no issues.

Look in the Yellow pages under hoses. Most areas with a sizeable population have places that make custom hoses on the spot...for a reasonable sum .
    Last edited by Bob Slater; 04-16-2008 at 6:20 AM.

Sand blasting supply houses also have heavy duty hose by the foot, if you are in or near to a sizeable city.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

I suspect your water separator isn't going to work for crap in this situation unless you do one of two things:

1) Use a small hose. The pressure drop will condense the moisture out of the air right into the water separator.

2) Run a piece of black iron pipe between the hose and the moisture trap. Preferably several feet. This will give the air a chance to cool on the iron pipe and the moisture will fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    A leader hose was the first thing I thought of... but not everybody has the legs for them.

Seriously, I have a leader hose on most of my air tools, you should be able to pick one up in a lot of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    A leader hose was the first thing I thought of... but not everybody has the legs for them.

That will travel above many heads, like socks and sandals.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

It's known as a snubber hose. Grainger has the size you need:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3JT54
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Grainger is a great source for industrial type stuff - if they will let you buy from them. They won't sell to anyone, at least the one near me. You have to be able to open an account as a commercial buyer.