Thread: Bow in Rails

Bow in Rails

Went out to the shop this morning to mount the fence that came with the BW saw on my old saw. My dad is buying the old saw with extension table and the fence that came with the new saw as I was not about to give up the Vega fence. Mounting the Vega on the BW was a piece of cake, took less than an hour. Even mounting it on the old Delta saw was no big deal. Very well thought out design for an after market fence that it could be so easy to mount on such different saws.

Since my dad will be getting the whole setup I thought I'd go ahead and get it all set up for him. Got everything unpacked, no obvious damage, everything looked good and well made. Got the front rail in position and something didn't look right, it wasn't lineing up level with the saw and the extension table. I sighted down the rail and it is visibly bowed. I laid it on the rectangular tube and it has almost 1/4" bow from end to middle. I checked the back support rail and that one is about 3/16" off.

Guess it'll be a call to Wilkie to get new rails sent, these aren't usable as they are.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner

Guess it'll be a call to Wilkie to get new rails sent, these aren't usable as they are.
    Got that right! What the hey?! Thems are some heavy rails! To be off that much definitely sounds like OEM defect. When you call, make sure you ask them to physically check the next set out before shipping them!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-29-2004 at 5:51 AM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Got that right! What the hey?! Thems are some heavy rails! To be off that much definitely sounds like OEM defect. When you call, make sure you ask them to physically check the next set out before shipping them!
    You bet they're heavy. Looks like if the rails weren't bowed it'd be a pretty good fence. Still glad I decided to mount the Vega on the new saw though.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-29-2004 at 5:52 AM.

Just a follow up on the bowed rails. I called Wilkie Machine today, told them about the problem and they said they would have a new set sent out right away. Should see it in a couple of days.

Very good customer service. Didn't argue about it, asked a couple of questions and took care of the problem.

Dean