Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you turn exclusively?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you turn exclusively?

Hi All, I was wondering how many of us are turners only and do little if any flat work? I really like turning but still try to learn new things about woodworking in general. But sometimes I think I'd really like to just turn and do nothing else. I don't know if that would get boring or not. I'm not saying that turning is easy, far from it, but sometime flatwork stuff gives me a headache trying to figure things out.

So how many of you still do flatwork AND turn and how many just turn? That is if you don't mind me asking.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I still do lat work. I am working on Walnut Shoji screens for a window in our house right now.

I do some lat work too but mostly work on my biceps for now. But seriously thanks for the reply.

Alan - I have a fairly well equiped shop and was just starting to do some custom flatwork when I was given my first lathe. Enter the big change!! While I still do flatwork projects I would have to say that over 99% of my woodworking time is spent on the lathe. I find it a lot more challenging and also a lot more satisfying than any of the flatwork that I have done up to this point. I would have to say that I have an engineering type of personality - meaning I love angles, numbers and even straight lines... but when I started lathe work all those restrictions went out the window and for the first time I actually find some of the items I turn to border on the artistic. That - for me - was and still is - a huge draw into the world of turning.

Man - sure can get longwinded when typing with 2 fingers...
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 04-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I do enough flat work to build a few jigs and fixtures. I do a little carpentry here and there to accommodate my growing shop and my little girl's playhouse. Other than that, it's mostly turning. I do a little carving, but only on my turnings so I guess that's still turning related.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Blog Entries
    I still do a lot of scroll work and box making.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    I do some lat work too but mostly work on my biceps for now. But seriously thanks for the reply.
    Thats what happens when I get up early in the morning to do lat work at the gym; it takes a while for the brain to wake up. I'll save the flat work for after work!

I do f*** work still here's a bathroom vanity I just finished. I posted it in the general forum. Notice that the feet are turned.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never did much flat work anyway. Now, it's only when LOML wants a new shelf, or someone offers me $350 for a pair of Adirondack chairs. I gotta pay for the lathe toys somehow.

Lux
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I fell in love with woodturning and it changed my shop habits. I do probably 99% turning and every once in a while I will do some F***** only for the LOML.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Oh, I get it. F*** work is like LOrd Voldermort in Harry Potter who's name is not supposed to be spoken. O.K. I won't spell out f*** work anymore. Sorry. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still trying to get my head around this. I think I'm looking for an excuse not to do much f** work anymore. But I do still like it. I think I need wood working mental therapy.
    Last edited by Alan Tolchinsky; 04-16-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Lots of flatwork. I think my wife views turning as my reward. Getting more and more into handtools too.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Wish I could do more furniture making

The only reason I am exclusively doing woodturning is cuz I don't have a well equipped shop. My love of wood started with furniture dedign. I no longer have access to a shop, but even if I did I would do mostly turning. However, once I get a tablesaw, router, jointer and planer I will be making some combination work. For instance, I plan on making a complex humidor, one with flat sides involving veneer work and marquetry, but with shaped quarter-round corners using split turning methods on the lathe.

In short, I would like to be doing both, but turning will probably always be my emphasis.

Hutch

Round vs. Flat

I do mostly turning but I guess I am kind of an exception. A lot of flatboarders try turning and never go back. I am going the other way. I am trying to learn more about flat work like furniture and cabinets. I am lucky to have a nicely equipped shop. I just finished a small Shaker style end table and bought a new Dewalt planer. My lathes are getting jealous. Don't even ask how many planes I have.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Exclusive Turning

Hello,

I do not do any "woodworking" at all. I do, however, carve caricatures, reliefs, and do some chip carving(kerbschnitzen). My son saw a pen turning demonstration at a local Woodcraft store while I was looking for carving tools. He begged, and begged until I finally bought him a little Shop Fox mini lathe. I tried my hand at it, and I've been falling into the abyss since. I'm wondering now if I'll ever hit bottom!!! I hope not, at least not for a long time!!! LOL.

Dan Heine