Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you turn exclusively?

I have aways done a lot of F*** work. But any more it takes me quite a while to remove all the bowl blankls & chunks of wood from the table saw, planer table, drum sander table, radial armsaw, shaper,workbenches, and of course all the chunks laying on top of the boards. Only have to this now when Honey want a new vanity, end table, or shelf.
    Jerry

For Sale: Used table saw, planer, jointer, etc etc etc. All ran pretty good the last time I used 'em

Rust comes at no extra charge.
    Only the Blue Roads

Psssst....Hey Andy....Don't use the word rust....advertise them as color co-ordinated.....oxide red color....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I love most woodworking, and I find I go in spurts at different phases of it. I dream of building boats, but I have a short attention span. I've been working on the same little sail boat for 3 years now.

Right now all I think about is turning. Don't know how long this will last, but it has been going on longer than my normal for me.

Right now I look around my shop and think I could have spent the money I spent for that planer, jointer and some other tools on a big lathe! I'll get over it..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    For Sale: Used table saw, planer, jointer, etc etc etc. All ran pretty good the last time I used 'em

No, no Andy. Save all that iron for segmented bowls. That's if you have an interest. If nothing else they're a great place for your bowl blanks, lathe tools, etc.

p.s. I just looked at your "information" found this hysterical: " Manufacturer of quality shavings, sawdust, and scrap wood"

That seems to describe me perfectly so I may have to steal your motto.
    Last edited by Alan Tolchinsky; 04-17-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan...
    "Sorry, Ma'am, if you want something from the shop it'll have to be round."
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I used to do all flat work. I would build furniture. I have a small house and soon ran out of room. Next I started doing scrollsaw wall plaques. My walls are now full enough. Then it was on to cars and trucks. I have them stuffed every where. Now I am on to bowls. I turn a number of them. When I get more than I care to look at I go across the alley to the bar and give them away. Since I go out in the woods and cut my own bowl blanks it doesn't cost me much to give them away. Loven it.

Steve

I wish I could give more bowls away. I too have them almost everywhere, except the bathroom. But I have the hardest time giving them away because I put so much work into them. Maybe when I get better and faster I won't feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post

you pay shipping?
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    No, no Andy. Save all that iron for segmented bowls. That's if you have an interest. If nothing else they're a great place for your bowl blanks, lathe tools, etc.
    I hate to let you down, Alan; but the limit of my segmenting interest is best described here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    p.s. I just looked at your "information" found this hysterical: " Manufacturer of quality shavings, sawdust, and scrap wood"

That seems to describe me perfectly so I may have to steal your motto.
    Steal away. I probably stole it from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois View Post
    you pay shipping?
    Only on the rust. No wait. Hang on. Just looked. Only on the non-rusted parts.
    Only the Blue Roads

Oh I see Andy. I once had a segmented bowl I spent a long time on go ballistic on me. So I just picked up all the pieces from the floor, and as you might say, glued the begeebers(sp), out of it. It turned out o.k. like your exploding example. The bowl went from pieces to whole just like the operator's mental state.