Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How vital is the use of a platen when vacuum pressing?

How vital is the use of a platen when vacuum pressing?

I am about to embark on the world of vacuum pressing and have seen mentioned the use of a platen (or platens) during the vacuuming process. Are these necessary for a good result? I had thought that one just places the glued up piece in the bag by itself and turned on the pump. What exactly is the purpose of a platen and when should one be used?

Thanks.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Very

If you notice, the platens have 1/8" groves cut in them in a grid pattern. This is to allow a path for the air to excape the bag. Otherwise if the front of the bag seals then the air can't get out of the back.

When you make your platen and cauls use an 1/8" round over bit on all the edges. That relieves some of the stress on the bag and will keep it from ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    If you notice, the platens have 1/8" groves cut in them in a grid pattern. This is to allow a path for the air to excape the bag. Otherwise if the front of the bag seals then the air can't get out of the back.

When you make your platen and cauls use an 1/8" round over bit on all the edges. That relieves some of the stress on the bag and will keep it from ripping.
    Thanks Todd. Is the size of the platen a function of the piece being pressed or the size of the bag? It sounds like it is determined by the size of the piece placed in the bag.

What is the recommended material? MDF seems like it would be ideal.
    Regards,

Glen

"Is the size of the platen a function of the piece being pressed or the size of the bag?"

Both. The main thing is to have enough "loose bag" to "wrap" whatever you are pressing. You don't want the bag stretched over or around anything because it could tear. So if you are pressing something relatively flat, you can use a larger bed. For something that is more "3D", use a smaller bed to leave more of the bag free to conform to the shape.

Not Tod
    David DeCristoforo

Glen,

Just one small item:

Make sure that the nipple on the piece that accepts the hose tip is placed at the intersection of two of the grooves in the platen. If it isn't, you may never attain sufficient vacuum.

Which vacuum press system will you use?

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Thanks guys. I think I have a handle on it now. I will be using it for the first time this Friday to veneer a panel approx 12" x 12".

Al - It looks like I will get the Woodcraft system.

David - As per your comments, since this is indeed flatwork, I'll create platens (I guess I might as well make two of them as this is flat, and place one above and one below) in the neighborhood of 14" x 14". Sound about right?

MDF okay to use?
    Regards,

Glen

Glen,
    MDF OK. I use white melamine particle core board because it is inexpensive and the glue can be chipped off easily. I have made and used several different platens. I use the smallest one that still allows the object to be covered.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Hi Glen,

Although everyone is correct that you should have a platen. I recently did some fairly large panels for a bar, the largest was about 16" x 7' without them. I did not have any problems. I do plan to get around to making some platens, but I was able to successfully press them without.

Blog Entries
    Check out www.veneersupplies.com they have a bunch of info on vacuum pressing. Joe will answer your e-mails too if you can't find what info your looking for. He also makes some very high quality vacs and bags. Not to mention his veneers.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

"...one above and one below..."

Not necessary. You only need the one "platen" with the grid to allow air to be drawn out. You can place a "caul" on top if you wish but this does not need to be "heavy duty". A piece of 1/4" ply or mdf will suffice. Remember that vacuum pressure is completely even over the entire area, not like with clamps where you need a thick caul to spread the pressure.
    David DeCristoforo

I'll second the white melamine and it takes a ding or two better than MDF. Both are quite heavy in large pieces, however.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Like others by bottom platen is melamine. I don't use a top platen, instead I use the breather-mesh product that Joe sells. It has worked out great so far but, to this point, I have only done flatwork in my press.

My vac setup is pretty rinky-dink atm, but it works for the occasional need I have. I have a good vacuum pump I bought on craigslist and I am using space bags , which someone said are unusable, but they work just fine for me. Instead of a platen, I use a piece of burlap over the piece I am clamping. The burlap keeps the bag from sealing the valve opening just fine.

The platen(s) is(are) pretty important in my experience. I tried it once without and had some significant issues. I've also found that the mesh that Joe Woodworker sells is very useful to get a really good even clamping as it helps the air evacuate properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a vacuum press a lot, and I never use a platen for air escape. Air molecules are teeny-tiny little things. They'll find a way to get from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.

The only time I use a platen is when I want to laminate something which must be flat -- for instance slab-style doors for cabinets. For that, I have a torsion box which is very flat, and it goes inside the bag.