Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone work at home depot or lowes?

I had a customer through the drive a few months ago that was a manager of a Lowes. In conversation, he told us what he bought his department managers for Christmas... (Now mind you, this is what he bought out of his own pocket, not what the company Christmas bonus was)...a $10,000 Rolex each! Now I don't know how many departments a Lowes has, but I'd say it has to be 6 at least. And I'd say education doesn't have anything to do with working there...he managed to put gasoline in his diesel. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I had a customer through the drive a few months ago that was a manager of a Lowes. In conversation, he told us what he bought his department managers for Christmas... (Now mind you, this is what he bought out of his own pocket, not what the company Christmas bonus was)...a $10,000 Rolex each! Now I don't know how many departments a Lowes has, but I'd say it has to be 6 at least. And I'd say education doesn't have anything to do with working there...he managed to put gasoline in his diesel. Jim.
    Jim,

Did you put too many zero's on that Rolex price. I can't even imagine him giving a $1,000 rolex. Sounds like he's pulling your leg, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Jim,

Did you put too many zero's on that Rolex price. I can't even imagine him giving a $1,000 rolex. Sounds like he's pulling your leg, lol.
    One the one hand, that may be the way he recruits new employees, as it makes working for Lowes sounds pretty good.

OTOH, I guess it would be possible. Over ten years ago I was told the manager of a Target/KMart that was doing well would pull down $150,000. I imagine Home Depot could be in the same league. So I suppose if the store had done well and the bonus was good, he could have purchased them each a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    well my day job is killing me (literally) i HAVE to do something different. i figure if i can get into the tool department or something interesting it would be pretty nice. i can deal with stupid customers. as far as standing all day that doesnt sound bad as ive been sitting in front of a computer everyday for 10 years, change is good right?
    Sure, change is good. Is there no chance for a transfer or job change within your own company? That is usually easier -- since they know your abilities -- than going in cold in another place where they don't know you at all.

Networking is also key - ask all your friends/aquaintances for job leads. Someone may know something that is up your alley.

...art
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i put in my application to both places today. i was curious how it is to work at either place and what the pay is like.

i go to HD and lowes 2-3 times a week i figure i might as well get a job there
    Mike,

If you do get a job at one of those places, here is some advise from Larry the Cable Guy:

http://www.guzer.com/videos/larry_home_depot.php

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Sure, change is good. Is there no chance for a transfer or job change within your own company? That is usually easier -- since they know your abilities -- than going in cold in another place where they don't know you at all.

Networking is also key - ask all your friends/aquaintances for job leads. Someone may know something that is up your alley.

...art
    actually been trying to get into a different division for about 5 years now. i keep getting told i dont have the required experience. the past few months i have been turned down 3 times for this reason. i guess working at a place for 10 years doesnt count as experience

im too the point i would rather just get out. i have started the process of trying to get on an electrician apprenticeship but there is a long waiting list and it could be a while so i figure thats my current goal. im also considering going back to school in the mean time. i need to look further into that though

humm , ok i did my time at lowes ...
    but in a way i had it good
    worked in receiving , monday through fri 7 to 4 ...
    i knew some who closed the store at 10 at night and had to open at 5
    only had to deal with the public when we went out on the floor .
    but we had to deal with all the managers ...
    some were great , some were total jerks ..
    then ya had the newbie managers .....the ones that didn't know crap but thought they did .
    after 3 years and hearing the same thing every time raise time came ;" well you are at the top of the rate" ; i said hell with it ..left and the only thing i miss is some of the people i worked with

Hello,
    im also considering going back to school in the mean time. i need to look further into that though
    I can't urge you strongly enough to hurry up and make up your mind about that.
    As I posted earlier - I worked for nearly 20 years before "seeing the light".
    When I graudated, I was a few months shy of my 40th birthday.
    "Entry level" - anything is tough.
    It's several orders of magnitude tougher, the closer you get to the big "four-zero".

- I had a few things going for me - I took time off work and devoted full time to school - the result was a 4.0 average.
    I had (at the time) a "10 year younger appearance". I looked like I was in my late 20's, not late 30's.

The old resume though was a dead giveaway, as was the application (year graduated from ____ (fill in the blank).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I know 2 people who have worked there.
    One is a friend of mine who was a dept mgr, he left to take a job as a dept mgr at a large dept store. His complaint was that they were expected to work a minimum of 50 hours per week, were treated poorly and paid poorly. His new position is 40 hours per week for more pay.
    The other person worked on the floor. He liked it but left for a better offer at a car dealership.
    I spoke to 2 guys at the paint dept at an HD out here, both applied for similar jobs at lowes. They said lowes paid a bit better and had better hours. They were expected to work extra hours if someone didn't make it in the day they were there. They also complained that they were promised pay raises that they never received. I dont know if that's true or not. They seemed like complainers with bad attitudes to me. This was about a year ago, maybe things have changed, maybe it is just that store.
    My advice is to go in to an HD and talk to the employees, some of them will talk to you and give you their opinions.

I've been part time (28 to 38 hrs weekly) since 8/1/07. I work in the Hardware Dept and enjoy the work. I'm retired from the government as a mid level manager so I'm not dependent on the HD salary to pay the bills. That being said, the pay for a part time employee here in Podunk, AL is not bad. I'm paid better than twice the minimum wage so can't gripe too much. As to the other remarks about Dept Heads having to work 50 hrs is not true in our store. Any overtime has to be approved by the store manager and he is constantly harping on them to take longer lunches and leave early to cut their overtime before the end of the week.
    Another plus for HD is the benefits package, vacation, sick leave, insurance, etc. Costs are reasonable and it is a good benefits package.
    As in all places of business, there are folks that work and folks that work at getting out of work. We have those but everyone knows who they are and ignores them.
    In our area HD pays a lot better than Lowes, I've been told at least 2 to 4 dollars more per hour.
    Dealing with the public is a trip in it's self. You can get PO'd with some of them for sure but overall it's fun to tell people about the good deals and talk to them about woodworking.
    I have a personal goal in that everyday I work at the HD that I try to learn something new, either from one of the managers, another employee or one of the customers. Most days I learn several new things.
    My advice, go for it, if you like it you can succeed and move into management and make a lot more money.

Harley, what part of 'bama are you from? Just curious.

Regards, Colin, from Athens, Alabama
    Where's the beef.