Thread: Template for Leather Factory Key Fob

Template for Leather Factory Key Fob

I don't suppose anyone has a template for the Key Fobs from "The Leather Factory" Product Number 4149
    Laser: ULS Versa 50w
    Software: CorelDRAW X4, Gimp 2.4.4

Kayne,
    Take a keyfob, put it on your scanner import the picture to Corel, trace the outline or do a trace. There's your template. That's all there is to it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

here it is...

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Exactly! Good example.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks

I can do the trace but the number of nodes I had was slowing the cutting proces for makeing the template. That one you did Dave is much better thanks very much.

I did take about 30 nodes out but I still had close to 40 nodes still left in.

Dave,

Can you post that file in CD12 please?

I found a supplier of Key Fobs in South Carolina too and ordered a bunch.

Thanks,

AL

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    ...found a supplier of Key Fobs in South Carolina too...
    How does the price and quality compare to Tandy?
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Here it is in ver. 12. It's a tight fit and not all fobs in a package are the same exact size. Some may take some coaxing. I cut it out of some 1/8 ply and press them in from behind. Works great.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

9. I am not trying to hijack this thread, but since this is under the "Laser Engravers" section, would anyone mind posting their experience laser engraving this stuff?

Additionally, from the image this key fob looks already assembled, but am I correct from the description the customer still has to do something (other than engraving) with a tool (rivet setter) that also has to be purchased?

Laser engraving leather is 'very' easy, and it will repro. a photo using only the driver halftone.. You don't need photograv to get a good photo in leather

Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Leather although this was my first job with it seams great. I didn't get all that much smell from it, but I was not cutting and I only did 31 Key Fobs.

The key fobs need Assembly but come with all but the rivet setter. Some of the rivets are not the right size for the leather as the leather came in many different thicknesses, luckily I got the rivet setter with extra assorted rivets with it. I am happy to put this on my list of offered products. Shipping was supper fast from Tandy Leather the day after ordering it I had it at my door.