Thread: Finishing Sprayer equipment advice

Finishing Sprayer equipment advice

After a couple of projects brushing all manner or finishes, I'm thinking to upgrade to spray equipment.

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level set of spray equipment? I'm not sure what I need in terms of guns, nozzles, and a compressor.

I'd prefer something that's fairly easy to clean (if it exists...)

I've owned/used both the Wagner and the Porter Cable PSH1 guns and have been happy with both. Both have some advantages over the other, but the gravity feed guns are a lot easier to clean IMHO, especially if you use a non-water cleanup material in them as you need a lot less of whatever solvent to clean with. I sold the Wagner and use the PSH1 exclusively for everything from oil-based paint (like Rust-o-leum) to WB lacquer. I just bought a second projector set for the PSH1, 2.0mm I think. I sprayed some small parts with latex and got mixed results. But next time I plan to try Floetrol to see if I can make it work.

I have a 60gal upright compressor. I've read reports of people using a pancake compressor with the PSH1--not sure that's ideal but they say it works. I'd think something in the middle would be fine as long as you aren't painting cars. You might overwork it occasionally, but as a hobbyist, probably not enough to significantly lower its life expectancy.

Other stuff you'll need--a good respirator, paint strainers, a gun holder, a nice hose that won't pull on the gun while you work, and a good air filter.

Are you considering HVLP?

FYI, The Wood Whisperer recently did a podcast on the Earlex HVLP system. He gave it a good test and even compared it the Fuji unit he owned. His impression was very positive. Marc said he found himself reaching for the Earlex when he had the choice between it and the Fuji simply because the Earlex was so easy to setup and use. He also pointed out the Fuji has some capabilities not present on the Earlex, but those come at twice the price. The Earlex has a built-in holder for the gun, which is really handy.

Head over to The Wood Whisperer site and check it out. Even if you decide not to buy the Earlex, you'll pick up some very good info about using spray equipment.

www.thewoodwhisperer.com

Charles Neil also reports very good results from the Earlex.

I'm seriously considering buying one of those Earlex HVLP systems. Although, Dewey tells me his Wagner is really nice and was less expensive than the Earlex. Hmmm...

I would agree with Matt's statements, but would recommend this gun for a first-time user: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430 . It's cheaper, works great (I've used it for spraying about 2-3 gallons of water-based acrylic enamel paint on furniture), and gets good reviews by most. I can't compare it to a big name brand gun like Sata or Apollo, but it does everything I need it to do, and works well for spraying the thin types of finishes that most woodworkers use.

Unless you are finishing only small pieces, a pancake compressor just won't cut it for these (I've tried it, it just can't keep up). I have a 13 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor that I use, and it is fine for my uses (it struggles a bit on large dressers/etc., but delivers enough to do the job without much stopping during a coat). Definitely buy a respirator.

There are some good articles out there comparing different guns.

I get great results from a DeVillbis finishline HVLP top cup. I like the top cup for easy clean up. If you are spraying enough that reloading is a problem you should be using a pressure pot anyway.

If you don't want a big compressor then a turbine HVLP is the way to go.

A 40 gallon compressor running a true 2 HP will do ok. When it comes to HVLP bigger is certainly better in compressors.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The first thing I would suggest you do it purchase Charron's Spray Finishing. Amazon will have it.

The book will talk about different types of equipment that is available and which makes the most sense. It will also tell you how to set the equipment and then how to adjust everything for the best results.

You don't just fill up a gun and pull the trigger. There's quite a bit to learn. Spend time practicing on scrap or, better yet, cardboard boxes.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 04-18-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Howie.........

Funny I would find this thread tonight. Today I re-sanded a project to "fix" the problem from a faulty spray attempt. Turns out my compressor lines were leaking like a sieve and the pressure was too low. This resulted in too little paint being sprayed, and the finish was sputtered on the project. Feels and looks like someone sprayed sand on it.

Get a good book such as the one already mentioned. A spray gun is not a tool you just pick up and use. Many, many variables are involved. The very first consideration is the compressor/tank combination. A large compressor and large tank will let you spray a battleship, whereas a pancake style will do a small box. So you have to consider what you are going to spray. Assuming it's not a battleship (or a car) you can consider a mid-range compressor. A larger tank even with a mid-sized compressor will handle almost any job.

And, of course, this advice is for a traditional compressor/spray gun like Binks or deVilbis. The latest and most fashionable are the HVLP systems, as already discussed by others. So, back to the beginning--get a book and learn before you buy. You'll be glad you did.

I just received this book due to a recent recommendation on this site, perhaps from you, Howard. It is well worth getting. Got it from Amazon.

Thank u all very much. I will definitely pick up that book.