Thread: Walke Turner Radial Drill Weight?

Walke Turner Radial Drill Weight?

I just bought this Walker Turner Radial Drill and need to bring it home. Does anyone have any idea what it weighs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Peter:

I just bought a Rockwell Model with the open stand and am told it weights around 780 lbs. I would guess your Walker Turner with the closed stand weights a bit more maybe 850 or 900 lbs.

Barry W. Larson
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks

The machine is better than it looks in the pictures. I almost did not go and look at it after I got the photos via email, but took a chance. I think it will clean up nicely. I looked up the weight of a new Delta model and it is about 780 as you said. We check and there is no aluminum on this baby, all heavy cast iron.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 04-18-2008 at 8:16 AM.

Check this site out. You may find that press in one of the catalogs/manuals.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail....2&th=false&fl=

I just bought a WT benchtop drillpress from my neighbor. It felt like it was a couple hundred pounds. And it's pretty small. Yours looks pretty heavy.

-Brian

Rob Will Guest
    Congrats CPeter!
    I have the open stand version of the WT Radial Arm Drill.
    I think that 900 lbs will cover the closed base version.
    I'm looking for a quill return spring if anybody knows of where they are available.

Thanks,
    Rob

CPeter,
    At PFW we have a Walker Turner branded (actually Delta) radial DP with the open leg, iron, Deco base. We have had a bit of trouble with it in terms of runout. I had the spindle re-turned and put in fresh bearings, which helped some, and added a keyless Albrecht chuck which is fabulous. The chuck was priced around $300 from McMaster and MSC Direct, and then we found it on sale at Enco (same model number) for about $215. Never had a bit come loose from this chuck, although I usually hate keyless chucks.

We put on a double layer of 18mm BB ply with the edges overhanging the t-slot bed so we could clamp to it off the edge, screw to it, etc., and this has worked well. We got extra t-slot nuts, so if you need a few, give me shout and I will send them up. They were spendy as I recall.

Ours was made between 1960 and 1966 so it has the 6" throw, and the Deco base. Delta bought WT in 1956, and then changed out to a Delta head in 1960, and in '66 dropped the cast base and went to stamped steel legs. Or so I have been told.

One nice usage of this is vertical drilling, such as on end grain. For this we made a heavy duty "L" which hangs off the edge of the aux. table. The head then swings over. Also used it in this configuration to drill our shaper table for a power feeder.

Ours is 3 phase, which is fine for us. I will some day put a VFD on it for true variable speed control as changing the two sets of belts is a PITA.

BTW, I think ours weighs about 800# or so. I would think yours is quite a bit heavier with that base.

Good luck with your new toy.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop