Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle suggestions (On Topic)

I've seen Dan's truck and it's very nice! I hadn't known that the Diesel got in the low-20s for mileage. Good deal!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The good news is that in addition to the door configuration that "we" have on the vehicle, there is now a true-four door model of the Tundra, as well as most other pickups. These also have a more conventional back seat which is more comfortable for adults and easier to deal with car seats for young childeren. In the case of the Toyota, you don't sacrifice additional bed length however, as you do with some of the "real" four door models out there...same full-size short bed. (6.5' closed/8' to the end of the gate when it's down)
    Seen it. Like it. In drool mode! So many necessities, so little time.....and money.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I agree, my Dad has a '98 3/4t 4x4 Cummins...but she's LOUD all the time, which I like, most folks don't. Makes late night beer runs a nuisance for neighbors!

Joe,

They took all the LOUD out of the cummins for '03 by going to the common rail fuel injection system. I can stand in front of my truck and have a normal conversation and actually hear instead of just nodding.

-dan

Jim,

Yes low 20s, I would love to get it out on a flat highway at some point, probably get mid to high 20s, oh and this is a 4wd model, the 2wd would probably do better as the front linkage is always engaged on this truck. Nice part about that is I do not see a reduction in milage when in 4wd, actually it increases because if I need 4wd, I should not be going above 45 anyway.

-dan

Scott

You all are beginning to convince me that a minivan might be my best bet. I had no idea that you could fit a full sized sheet inside. I think that that clinches it. Any suggestions on what models to consider? Thanks.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    I know it doesn't sound cool, but it is really the most well rounded vehicle. There are plenty of folks in business that have them. Benefits: Good gas mileage, usually over 20MPG; can remove seats to load full size sheets (make sure you get one that can, some are on the smaller side); plenty of seating when needed. Only down side is the fact you can not load to the level of a truck, but you can get a lot in there; there are lots of them out there so a good quality vehicle should be locatable.

Consumer Reports tends to give the (Honda) Odyssey and (Toyota) Sienna top billing all the times. However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed!
    Time for a letter to the editor. That's news you can use.

Brian

Only problem I see with the Odyssey (Honda) is that it is so sought after, in the used market it holds its value. Bad news for the buyer.

The Town and Country (Chrysler), is also rated very well. However, there are so many on the market, that you can get a better bang-for-the-buck in the used market...

-Jim

Consider me a vote for the minvan.

We really wanted and like the Sienna. So, that's my first recommendation. But, Chrysler threw so many rebates and discounts at me, my head was spinning. I really wish we had the fold down seats. We almost always have one of the back seats out to fit stuff in. But, $10K equates to lots of seat removals in my book
    If I ever replace my truck, we'll probably just get a 2nd minivan and a trailer for the real big stuff (machines and motorcycles).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Consumer Reports tends to give the (Honda) Odyssey and (Toyota) Sienna top billing all the times. However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed!
    The last time i saw an article in CR on mini-vans (within the last 6 months), they did mention that all tested for that article could hold a sheet of plywood (Toyota, Honda, Kia, Nissan and another one or two I can't remember). I'm still suspisious of the new Nissan. The old Toyota could not carry a sheet flat and the new Toyota is like the Honda a few years ago, i.e. dealer can get whatever they want.

I've been bred to dislike Chrysler products, but its a good point that there are tons of used ones out there, and they were the standard for many years.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

NO NO NO - You guys are still thinking too straitlaced! You have to think out of the box!

First, this is a woodworking forum - therefore, go with a steam driven (wood fired boiler) - great gas milage (no gas). To make it possible to put all the parts in and avoid extensive rework, grab one of the old steam locomotives and place rubber tires on it. Keep the wood hopper and just attach another railroad flatbed behind for carrying:
    • entertainment center - more practice at wood working
    • mini-bar/microwave
    • comfortable sofas to sit on
    • long space at back for storing wood purchases (even 16' boards)
    • might as well throw a rest room on the flatbed for those long trips
    • how about a bed - the possibilities are endless

parking may or may not be an issue. However, with all that steam, is should be real easy to heat in the winter. Not certain what it would cost to license or get insured.

All in the interest of providing alternatives

Dan, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't read the article(s) too carefully since I wasn't in the market for a mini-van...still aren't near as I can tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ducharme
    NO NO NO - You guys are still thinking too straitlaced! You have to think out of the box!

First, this is a woodworking forum - therefore, go with a steam driven (wood fired boiler) - great gas milage (no gas). To make it possible to put all the parts in and avoid extensive rework, grab one of the old steam locomotives and place rubber tires on it. Keep the wood hopper and just attach another railroad flatbed behind for carrying:
    • entertainment center - more practice at wood working
    • mini-bar/microwave
    • comfortable sofas to sit on
    • long space at back for storing wood purchases (even 16' boards)
    • might as well throw a rest room on the flatbed for those long trips
    • how about a bed - the possibilities are endless
    parking may or may not be an issue. However, with all that steam, is should be real easy to heat in the winter. Not certain what it would cost to license or get insured.

All in the interest of providing alternatives
    Robert, Robert, Robert...all that moisture from the steam??? I guess if you want to bend wood into shapes, you are all set!! Otherwise, warp/twist city, Baby!

Brian,
    I see you are from Minnesota, I was thinking drivability in winter time would be a factor. The 4wd truck may be a better way to go.

my $.02
    chris