Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deals at Home Depot

Deals at Home Depot

Hello. I've been a forum lurker for a while, and thought I'd finally post. I apologize in advance if someone has already posted this, or if there are any rules against openly discussing prices. I poked around and didn't see any evidence of either, so I'm guessing it's ok.

I've been interested in rounding out my tool arsenal, and my last three missing pieces were a jointer, a planer and a drill press. I was going back and forth on the jointer, and then one day I was looking at Woodcraft's site and saw the 6" Jet was 10% off, and they were throwing in a free set of replacement knives, so I jumped on that. One down.

As for the other two, I'd been thinking about Ryobi versions of both, since I could get their planer and 12" drill press for under $400 total, which seemed like a pretty good deal. Then I was on this forum and read a lot of good things about the Ridgid 4330, so I started looking at that as well.

Finally I decided to get them, and searched in vain online for something like a 10% coupon, to no avail. Ultimately I decided paying full price wouldn't kill me, so I headed down to the store.

I would have shelled out the money if it weren't for a helpful clerk, who told me about a couple deals. First, that I could save 10% off my order by opening a HD credit card. I'd actually done this last summer to get a utility trailer and figured I couldn't do it again, but apparently that was a contractor card, and this was a consumer credit card, and it was ok to have both.

Then he pulled out a coupon for the Home Depot Ultimate Power Tool Deal. The price of the Ridgid planer and Ryobi drill press brought the purchase over $500, so that netted me another $100 off, after getting 10% off to begin with.

The icing on the cake was when I was wandering down the aisles and found myself next to the ladders. I'd read about this fantastic deal a couple of months ago on clearance ladders that were being replaced by a new line, and I'd actually already checked this store, but had only looked at 28 footers, not 32'. To my joy, there was one of the old 32' hidden behind a stack of newer models.

$339 32' fiberglass extension ladder: $32

What a way to round out the day. I ended up walking out of the store with my new ladder, the planer, the drill press and some replacement planer knives all for less that $450.

So if you've been eyeing up any tools at Home Depot, get them before this deal is over, and check to see if you can get the credit card, too.

Wow, 90% off on the ladder. I think you need to lay low from the law for a while.

Welcome to SMC, Gabriel, and congrats on the buys. Sounds like I need to send you shopping for me.
    And now for something completely different....

Hello Gabriel and welcome aboard!

I also have the Ryobi 12" DP. At the time that was all I could afford and really needed something to help with euro hinges. Anyway, the first one I bought went south really quick. I can't remember the model number but the one I have is a vailable speed that does not require the belt to be moved on the pulleys. After about 2 hours of work the spindle started to slip. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one and have not had a problem since. The one thing I remember about the faulty one is the speed adjustment bar was somewhat stiff from the beginning. The speed adjuster on the replacement DP was much smoother out of the box. You might want to check and make sure yours has a smooth action.
    Dave
    aka The Putz

Hello,
    I'll have to check out the ladder. I need a 20, 24 or 28 foot. Any one of the three will do at prices like 90% off!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burris View Post
    The speed adjuster on the replacement DP was much smoother out of the box. You might want to check and make sure yours has a smooth action.
    That's good to know. It sounds like this is the same model, with a speed adjuster handle and a digital readout. I feel pretty safe having bought it from Home Depot, since they're pretty lenient about taking things back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    I'll have to check out the ladder. I need a 20, 24 or 28 foot. Any one of the three will do at prices like 90% off!
    They're pretty easy to spot, though the chances of finding one are pretty slim. Can't hurt to check, though. They're made by the Louisville Ladder Co., and the stickers on the side will be something like L-3022-32. The newer ones have a PT (Pro Top) on the end, L-3022-32PT. It looks different, too. The Pro-Top is black plastic, too, similar to what you'd see on a small folding ladder. (This is a Pro-Top ladder.) The older version doesn't have that, and looking for it will save you the trouble of trying to shift ladders around. If there is one, chances are it'll be in the back behind several others.

Gabriel, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you got some good tools at a great price!

Of course, I doubt your entire story as you claim to have found a helpful clerk at Home Depot...

Gabriel - Congratulations on the deal!

I have the Ryobi planer and 12" variable speed drill press. I like them both. The planer snipes a lot, so be prepared for that. The best way I've found around this is to joint one face and one edge, plane to final thickness + 1/16". Then, joint the planed face to final thickness. (and of course rip to final width) It is an extra step, the penalty for an otherwise great planer for $200.

The drill press is fantastic. As a matter of fact, I think they dropped the price by at least $10 since I bought mine, and I may be able to get that money back. (90 day price guarantee) I built a roll-around cabinet for it with slide-out shelves sized just right for my Kreg jig and jigsaw while in their cases. I use the drill press a lot more than I thought I would. I use it as much for drum sanding as I do for drilling. The variable speed makes it ultra convenient for this purpose.

I did something similar but used something rather different. I'm in the ATM industry and happen to have a dead ATM. I stripped off the top and used the vault as the base with a mobile base attached to the bottom. Inside I pulled out the dispenser and made a drawer to mount to the roller guides that housed the disperser housing. This left a lot of room at the bottom for tool storage. The neat thing about it is the vault door still has the electronic vault lock. I just lock the vault when I leave the shop and the contents are safe.
    Dave
    aka The Putz

Excellent. Thanks so much for the heads up!

I just picked up a Ridgid 4330 planer for $309. I was on the fence whether to get the Ridgid or a Steel City, but this sale price swung it for me. I hope that it will work well.

I'll have to think about picking up a sliding miter saw while this is going on.

Cheers!
    Rob

Great score!!! BUT, where are the pictures?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Wow, that ladder deal sounds to good to be true. I just might have to check into that myself. Right now, I make do with a twenty two foot wooden extension ladder and the darned thing is a monster to lug around.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Just got back from my HD. They say with a scan of the recieft I can have the one ladder that is left for the price. Gabe, can you come through for me.........thank..

If possible I would like a receipt also. My HD has some but the guy had no idea what I was talking about.
    The pro tops had the same codes L3022-32 And they had some L3022-28s.
    Thanks

Also If you can remember where you read about it.