Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workmate type benchs

Workmate type benchs

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a new B&D Workmate type bench? I have an old cheapie clone that has seen better days and was never too great to begin with. I didnt know if there were other brands out there with better features. I spotted the Stanley Fatmax 93-292 at Lowes and it looks interesting. Unfortunately it was ty-wrapped to the shelf so I couldnt play with it. The reviews for it on Amazon are good. The table is plastic though and I was really hoping for something wood that I could replace if need be. I can always just clamp in a sacrificial piece of MDF I guess but thats another piece to haul around.
    TIA
    Eric

Craigslist and garage sales!

My father picked up his Workmate at a garage sale for $10. After seeing and using it a few times, I kept my eyes out and found a Workmate 225 for $25, and it has been worth it.
    Both of us have what is now the 225 model, although the center could be removed from the 425 model (if one were to buy new)

If I hadn't found mine on CL, then I was saving up my change, to put in one of those machines for an Amazon gift card, to get one.

Eric,

I have the 425 from Amazon and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-W...8647980&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 04-19-2008 at 8:51 PM.

You can pick one up for $20 if you're near me Finally got my bench done, so the Workmate's getting evicted.
    Use the fence Luke

I got both my Workmates on Craigslist. I dont know if there is anything better than the original. I use them daily, did today. I have all my small machines bolted to plywood with maple cleats so I can clamp them into the WM. The other one is in the barn for working outside stuff.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

I have one thats about 15 years old and was the better model than the first and it works very well..

Has legs that fold in to lower or raise the hieght, also has these rubber bands that turn both handles at the same time but came off track 10 years back and I never bother to see what was the issue..

All in all its a nice work bench if you dont have space for a full size bench, much better than two trash cans

Also this fall I seen some at Marshall,s and TJ Maxx
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Doug for the offer, that's a great deal but at todays gas prices...
    I think I'll stop by the Lowes and Borg again and play some more. Oh, I forgot we have a B&D outlet (they say) nearby. That might be worth the trip. Thanks all.
    Eric

Well youre too late anyway cuz it sold already. I was going to list it on CL. Just for kicks this afternoon I put it at the end of the drive with a $20 sign on it. 15 minutes later it was gone. I'm still keeping one of my two though.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug that was smart, if I had seen that I would have had to stop and buy it, just because.

I still have mine that I bought new for $50 some time ago. The lever that allows you to fold and unfold it easily broke several years ago so I have to fiddle with these levers, and it's really a pain. But I still use it because the darn thing is so sturdy - great value.

I found all mine in the dump I replaced two of the tops with 3/4" Plywood.

The last two I found aren't pictured. I've given two away and another is saved for my son as soon as he buys a house, hope it's soon.

I think it is better to make something with modest tools and do your best, then to have great tools and do nothing.... how do you know what you can do if you don't try...Mark Singer

Modest tools and a lot of wood

Mine was one of the originals. What is that, 30+ years old? Older?
    Very high quality plywood, like marine grade.
    I still use it constantly.
    - Jim

interesting....

on a related note, I have a workmate, not sure of the model but it works just fine. I also have a Festool MFT- and was impressed enough with the system that I have drilled matching MFT holes on my workbench. I did this originally to be able to use the Festool stops and clamps on my workbench too- and it works well. But, I always need more stops, and you can't buy them from Festool without buying clamps too. I discovered by accident last week that the orange stops on a Workmate are the same diameter (20mm?) as the Festool so work well for this. But I have lost some along the way- so does anyone know where to pick up more of the orange (or any other color) Workmate stops?

regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heaney View Post
    on a related note, I have a workmate, not sure of the model but it works just fine. I also have a Festool MFT- and was impressed enough with the system that I have drilled matching MFT holes on my workbench. I did this originally to be able to use the Festool stops and clamps on my workbench too- and it works well. But, I always need more stops, and you can't buy them from Festool without buying clamps too. I discovered by accident last week that the orange stops on a Workmate are the same diameter (20mm?) as the Festool so work well for this. But I have lost some along the way- so does anyone know where to pick up more of the orange (or any other color) Workmate stops?

regards

Mike
    Rockler sells them in blue. They can be found by searching Rockler bench dogs. $5.99 for a pack (four? to a pack)

thanks Randall, I'll stop hunting through boxes at garage sales now!

regards

Mike

Mike,

Amazon carries the orange ones if you are stuck on that color

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-7..._bxgy_hi_img_b