Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Jointer Knives Dilema

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will try to set the knives using one method or another until I get it right.

Again thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Orlando

All Time Level of Incompetence

After 6hrs I could only get one knife aligned. When I went to knife #2 I set one side then went to the other and got it set. When I went back to check the first side again it had moved up. I was using both the stick and the blade methods. Tried the dial in dicator method with the MultiGage and that was a fiasco. Zeroed out dial on outfeed table, checked TDC a la Bob Vaughn method, replayed his video especially the part on jonters with jack screws, that was a no go. I checked with the original manual on their recommendations - snug both end screws then adjust knife with jack screws - well one side went up and the other went down like a seesaw in a playground. Byrd Shelix will be here next week. I hope it takes me less time than this futile effort on my part. I already have the cutterhead off and will pull the bearings tomorrow. And just to make things worse, three holes in the angle bracket on my Biese did not line with the tube. Had to widen them by 3/32. What a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The failure was purely mine.

Orlando

Magnet and glass method????

I remember reading a thread that was posted about a glass plate and earth magnets. The glass was put on the outfeed table with magnets glued to the top of the glass on each end. The jointer knives would stay alligned because they were stuck to the magnet. The glass plate would stay in place because the magnets held it to the outfeed table. Was this a good method or was this a questionable way to set the knives?? I haven't changed my jointer knives yet, but that was the way I intended to when the time came to put new ones in. Any thoughts???

Per Swenson's method

I just did a search on past threads and the method I was referring to was Per Swenson's method for changing jointer knives. I thought it looked like a slick and quick way to change the knives. Any thoughts?

Give it a shot. Conceptually it is the same principle as the Jointer Pal and Magna Set. I have the Jointer Pal and I was unable to set the knives. But I can't set them even if they came indexed.