Thread: Triton height adjustment issue

Triton height adjustment issue

I recently bought a Triton 3-1/4 hp router to be installed in my router table. A couple days ago I finally got it installed in the table. I am finding that lifting the router up by turning the adjustment knob is extremely difficult. I practically need to be pushing and banging it to move it up - far from the one-arm turn of the know I expected. I even removed the plunge spring based on the manual's directions for upside-down installations.

Anyone else having this type issues with Triton 3-1/4? Is there a fix for this or did I receive a bad unit?

Pete

Pete,

I have the same router mounted in a table. Using only the big knob to raise it is difficult, because it's lifting on just one side, which causes binding. I generally turn the knob with one hand (squeezing the ring in with my fingers) and at the same time apply a little upward pressure with my other hand. If you are using the same technique (with height adjustment unlocked, of course) I don't know what the problem could be. Does the router plunge smoothly when not in the table?

Incidentally, I've installed a Wixey digital guage, and find I can get the desired height using the big knob only.

Cary

A friend of mine 1 hr ago told me he was on his third trition router because of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    Using only the big knob to raise it is difficult, because it's lifting on just one side, which causes binding. I generally turn the knob with one hand (squeezing the ring in with my fingers) and at the same time apply a little upward pressure with my other hand. If you are using the same technique (with height adjustment unlocked, of course).
    Cary, Mine seems to be even harder to move up. Sometimes it moves with two hands just like you describe, but sometimes it seems to jam so that I need to let it go down before I can rise it again. Makes adjusting rather difficult.

I never used it as a plunge router prior to mounting it, so I am not sure if the it would work properly as an upright plunge router.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Kurki View Post
    Cary, Mine seems to be even harder to move up...
    Pete
    Pete,

I suggest you phone Triton (888-874-8661, in NY). I phoned Triton Canada about a problem with the switch cover on mine (subsequently remedied with a design change). The tech I spoke to was extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Cary

I have the same Triton router, and have all the same issues with mine as you guy,s, I dont think that there is a fix for the sticking when you want to raise the hight of the bit,(they are just manufactured like that) you just have to learn to live with it. (love them or hate them they are a still very popular product).

Cheers...Graham...

Same issue, though I find that only a slight force on the other side enables it to work fine. It shouldn't be a two-handed job, however. After all, they claim it to be a first-class router for table work. I just haven't gotten around to calling Triton yet.

I've got the 3.25 hp unit in my router table. It was sticky to begin with, but has since loosened up. It seemed to be a binding problem, but I was never able to pinpoint the exact cause. I "think" it has something to do with the relationship between the rack and pinion knob and the micro adjustment dial. If it does bind, try using the micro adjust dial to drop it down slightly before climbing back up.

It doesn't seem to be a really popular model on here, but running a production shop, I've used most of the other majors (PC, Dewalt, Hitachi, Bosch and Milwaukee) and it's easily the most user friendly design of the bunch. Smooth micro adjust plunges, (after the binding issue was solved) easy, one wrench-above the table bit changes, better than average dust collection and intuitive controls.

In my router table, I'll run it till it drops, as a hand held unit however...

Kind of top heavy...

Mike

Triton's Recommendation for "Sticky" Depth Adjustment

I just got off the phone with Triton at the number you suggested. They have encountered this problem numerous times. They used to replace the routers, but have discovered that the sticking is most commonly caused by a slight difference in the flatness of their base and the flatness of the table to which it is attached. Keeping their thin plastic base plate attached usually solves the problem. I've always considered it superfluous and have removed it.

Same problem

I also had the same issues as the rest of you. The binding problem got worse the more I used the router, to the point that adjusting the height was such a PITA that I was going to pitch it and buy a Porter Cable like I wanted to in the first place!

Before pitching it I decided to perform surgery to see if I could find the problem. Upon taking it apart I found that very fine dust had slowly built up in the housing of the (plastic) fine adjustment gear and the rack gear causing the gears to fill up and bind. I blew tons of air into the cavity, used a small brush and a screw driver to dislodge all crap. Things improved greatly! Last I noticed the motor cocks and wants to bind as it goes up and down on the guide posts.(It's poorly designed and made) I cleaned the posts and bushings and placed a light coating of white grease on them. It worked better than new! I haven't had a problem since and I'm generally happy considering the price I paid! I think the same surgery should do the same again.