Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD TV Bench Completed

LCD TV Bench Completed

I got the final coats of finish on the LCD TV Bench on Sunday and finally got it "installed" after work at the real job piddled out at the end of the day today. The height, width and depth worked out perfectly for the area it needed to go as well as for the components it needed to house.

This project was made from 8/4 walnut that was milled on the property back in 2000 and sat waiting for the right project to come along. It's very sturdy and can become a "people" bench someday should other arrangments come about for the electronics. The lower shelf was purposely made with slats for air movement from below. Finish is BLO, shellac and Target Coatings WB Oxford lacquer. (first coats are PSL and the final coat is the new USL that replaced the former)

Pics:

1) What it actually looks like; taken during the finishing process. This picture has been posted before.
    2) With everything installed, cabled up and working. The walnut blends well with the barn-wood interior of our great room as well as the wide pumpkin pine floors.
    3) What it looks like with the lights out and HDef "in play"...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice work Jim!!! I like the way the tennons are visible. Thanks for sharing... Looks like the jointer got some work on that project

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Very nice Jim, I love walnut!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Really nice work and great design!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    I like the way the tennons are visible.
    Thanks, but "they be fake" through tenons...just end-grain inlays in the right spots. I was not willing to take the time to deal with hand-cutting large, angled mortises for this particular project. The legs sit in dados and are glued and screwed into the top. The screws are hidden by the faux tenons that show on the top. The shelf was assembled with pocket screws and glue and actually "built in place" through that method.

I posted a few pictures of the assembly process a couple of weeks ago that you should be able to find via the search somehow.

Yes, the J/P got a bit 'o work from this project.
    --

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Excellent work Mr B. I.m ready for the house tour now. You've been teasing with shop and kitchen. It's time.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice Jim, very nice.

Bob
    bob m

Blog Entries
    I, of course, have been fortunate enough to get the actual real live tour and it is a beautiful old home with lots of character.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Beautiful Work, Jim!

I love the Craftsman influence you incorporated. The through tenons are a great touch. Your electronics is a perfect fit. Sturdy enough for people? Wow! Thanks for sharing. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Yup, I think it blends very nicely in its environment. Very thoughtful design...Not gawdy or over-powering. Very well executed and detailed. 'Course, I'm biased: A) I inherently love Walnut. B) I've come to expect nothing less outta' you!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim,

Nice work! The tenons give it a nice appeal.

Well U dun good my friend with the fake tennons I was going to ask you exactly how a Normite would accomplish through tennons at an angle no less right in the middle like that, but you blew the sails out of that question Beautiful work!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Real Nice Jim, simple, yet elegant & functional. Fine attention to detail. Very well executed and finished.

.....beautiful old home with lots of character Is the Edsel part of the character?

Thanks for posting the pics, look forward to seeing more of your fine work.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    .....beautiful old home with lots of character Is the Edsel part of the character?
    Naa...only Toyotas and Kubotas around here. That was just whatever was on INHD-2 at the moment the "shutter" picked up the electrons...

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. This was a fun project and despite stupid mistakes, it turned out just right for the application.
    --

Jim, great job and sweet TV. I like the angled sides and the use of thru-tenons. Very nice touch.