Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pen Exchange Match-up

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    I think you got something good going their. The swirl stripes a bit thick?

-Jon
    Jon - I agree. I used a couple of cheap Slim-line kits so my prototypes didn't cost too much. I know someone will like them as gift.

Greg

Talk about a long distance.. Skip just PM'D me.. He is in Maine.. 25 minutes from the Atlantic ocean.. I am in CA, 25 minutes from the Pacific ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Allemand View Post
    Talk about a long distance.. Skip just PM'D me.. He is in Maine.. 25 minutes from the Atlantic ocean.. I am in CA, 25 minutes from the Pacific ocean.
    Well im in Denmark and greg is somewhere in the US...
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    It´s not a failure it´s a design opportunity

I'm in Georgia and Horst is in Germany.

It will be fine if I can get home and finish the pen.

nathan

What I got

I was teamed up with Jerry Sambrook for this exchange and by far he got the short end of the stick. The one on the left is 100+ year old oak. On the right is Spanish Ceder. Also included in the box was 14 or so blanks. I am trying to resize the photo of them. Thank you so much Jerry, as soon as this graduation stuff is done I will complete you pen/s and get them in the mail to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russ Peters; 05-02-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Received from Steve Campbell Today!

Here is what I received today from Steve Campbell in Wisconsin: purple heart bottom, walnut top with maple inlays that were burnt on the edges that really accents the edging well - my photography leaves a lot to be desired, but this is a really nice pen with a good feel and excellent finish. Steve obviously exaggerates as he PM'd me when this started as saying he is a beginning pen turner, and this was his first attempt at something other than a slimline.

Steve sent his pen to me in a flat-rate priority mail box. As an added bonus and to fill it up with something other than newspaper / cushioned padding, he sent me some samples of wood native to his neck of the woods - some walnut, cherry, and maple. Wow, that was a great bonus!

I, for one, am heading back to the workshop in a few minutes to "try again" vs. what I was originally going to send Steve. Wish me luck....

Greg, thanks again for organizing this exchange; I'm having a lot of fun!

Michael
    Just outside of Houston, looking for the CA glue

How is everyone doing on their pens? I mailed my first one off to Tim this morning and I hope to get to Belton's later in the week. Is anyone not able to complete their pen? I had some ask the other day if they could join in. My reply was that only if someone couldn't finish - Let me know and I'll see it I can get you a replacement. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Happy turning!

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    How is everyone doing on their pens? I mailed my first one off to Tim this morning and I hope to get to Belton's later in the week. Is anyone not able to complete their pen? I had some ask the other day if they could join in. My reply was that only if someone couldn't finish - Let me know and I'll see it I can get you a replacement. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Happy turning!

Greg
    Mack and I decided to send each other's pen at the same time... and we are looking at more at the end of the month.
    Have a Nice Day!

So, is against the rules to post a picture before you send? Or does Ben have to wait to see what he's getting until it gets there?

I finished up my pen for the exchange and it's going out as soon as I get by the post office.

I really want to post a picture...
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Overman View Post
    So, is against the rules to post a picture before you send? Or does Ben have to wait to see what he's getting until it gets there?

I finished up my pen for the exchange and it's going out as soon as I get by the post office.

I really want to post a picture...
    Ray:

Do what ever you want - there is no rule, but Ben might want to be surprised.

I feel like crap cause of the post office. A couple of days before I sent my pen to Skip.. I was at the post office sending a bunch of blanks.. Some corian and some wood..What I have done for the last few months was stuff the small priority rate box full.. Then stuff it in the flat rate envelope.. I take it to the post office and they charge me $4.60 everytime.. No matter what the weight was. So I asked the lady could I buy the $4.60 stamps.. She pointed me to a machine that you put your credit card in and I bought 5 of the $4.60 stamps.. I filled skips box with blanks and then the pen. I was home on saturday.. I put the stamp on it and handed it to the mail man has he came by our house.. He took it.. Skip gets a note from the post office that $5.65 is owed on the package.. I fill bad about this.. Plus mad at the post office...

Happy turning!

Greg
    I've been out of town too much, but the last coating of finish is drying on the pen now. I'll get it out to Horst on Friday.

Nathan

Best wishes to each of you. Looks like y'all are having way too much fun.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Today I received the pen that Tim Brooks made for me. It is spalted water oak burl and it is beautiful. The picture doesn't really show the beauty of the wood.

The pen that I sent to Tim is also pictured here. It is from some quilted maple that I highlighted with a cherry stain to really bring out the grain in the wood. I have another pen to make - better get busy!
    Last edited by Greg Just; 05-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Today I received the pen that Tim Brooks made for me. It is spalted water oak burl and it is beautiful. The picture doesn't really show the beauty of the wood.

The pen that I sent to Tim is also pictured here. It is from some quilted maple that I highlighted with a cherry stain to really bring out the grain in the wood. I have another pen to make - better get busy!
    Greg,

Again, thank you so much for the efforts you put in the pen you sent me. It will be displayed proudly in my office.

Thanks!
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill