Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of this

Talk me out of this

I have found a bandsaw that is pretty complete. Kinda big at 36". It's an American Saw Co. #345 Lightning. Its only 5 miles from me and the owner said he would sell it for what he has in it. Would you believe only $250. It needs new tires and blades have to be bought in 100' length then welded to fit. The tires are only about $50 each. The motor is intact too. I have 220. Big honkin table and a 12" cutting height. Its about 8 1/2' tall and won't fit in the garage with a 7 1/2" ceiling. I'm entertaining thoughts of a small building in the backyard. This could get expensive but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

Seems to me your only "barrier" is the ceiling height issue...and you have a possible plan for that.

As to blades, Suffolk can make them up to any length you need...you don't have to buy bulk yourself and learn to properly weld them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So you are thinking of taking on a project saw that is so big that you will need to put it in it's own building?

Do you need this saw~? Do you want a saw in a separate building~? You'll have to run power out there. It'll have to be big enough to justify the saw in it.

Is this the saw that will cause you to build a dedicated shop?

Seems to me that the price may possibly be more seduction than deal.

Of course maybe a slight modification to the Garage might be the better option.
    Put a little stack in the roof and pop a skylight in it. Set the saw in place under that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Sanders View Post
    ... Big honkin table and a 12" cutting height. Its about 8 1/2' tall and won't fit in the garage with a 7 1/2" ceiling. ...
    Can you raise a section of the ceiling?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

You're right about the seduction part. I have already been musing about a popup in the roof. Do I need this? Like a hole in the head! Do I want it? You betcha! Will good sense prevail? Stay tuned.

Don't forget floor load, it's bound to weigh 6-700 pounds. This is a major re-saw. Once word gets out there's a saw like this in the neighborhood.... Leave plenty of room for infeed, outfeed and swing for big, round table tops, etc. You won't be cutting scroll patterns I assume.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

No Problem

Cut a hole in the drywall and let the top of the saw stick up into the attic.

If it's a 36", it will probably weigh more than 600-700 lbs. A Tannewitz or similar will usually hit the scales at around a ton or 2000 lbs give or take. Lots of cast iron in an older one that size.

Should you get it.. I don't know. If you need a project instead of just a band-saw... probably. If not.. I would pass as I did on a 36" Tannewitz for $1600. I would have loved it but... too much space... too much $$ to transport from Arkansas to Atlanta.. too heavy to move once in place in my shop.

I would have loved to have had it... but better judgement prevailed when I realized it would not be a compliment that fit in my shop.. more of my shop would have to fit around it!

Good luck with your call...

Sarge.

George,

Where is it? If you don't want it I'm interested.

I remember bidding on a 16" northfield jointer that was going reasonably cheep, I had visions of renting a flat bed, having it lowered into my basement with a tow truck (rental), getting a phase convertor, putting in a stronger slab, moving a few things around...I had to let that one go.

Can you put in a large copala with lites for head room? How will you get it into the shop and stood up even if you raise the ceiling? Will the out building allow infeed and outfeed for resaw? I like to have 10' on either end of the table minimum. Possibly an out house with a door on each side, can't use it on rainy days?

Its a challenging prospect that may enrich your life...or...may become the biggest PIA on record, depending on your perspective.

Only you can talk you out of this so think it through carefully, wait at least several days to decide while the facts sink in and the impulse subsides, then make a clear minded decision.

Good Luck.

I am surprised that a 36" saw only has 12" resaw capacity. You can get the same capacity almost any new 18" BS. Brand new, that might be a lot less expensive than another building. Unless you really have the need for such a deep throat. (No intended reference to any film for mature audiences only )

Does it make sense?

With such a poor resaw height I would pass it up and spend a few more bucks on something new which is smaller, lighter, easy to get parts for and more reliable. You will save money in the long run by spending more now. Sounds like those custom made blades alone would be a royal pain in the a$$...

How would you even stand that monster upright once through the door? Trying to hoist that much weight from the framing above would probably bring the roof down. Something like an engine hoist probably wouldn't work because of the saw height. ?????
    Use the fence Luke

In my opinion, by the time you get the saw set up and working you will have more money tied up into it than it would cost for a comparable saw that will fit in the existing building with out any modification.
    David B

You mention having 220...but don't saws that big typically run on 3 phase power? Have you verified that you have the proper juice available?