Thread: Hardwood floor refinishing. Which finish???

Hardwood floor refinishing. Which finish???

Having the hardwood floors (well actually some of the flooring is edge sawn heart pine) refinished next week. At the time of sanding we are to chose stain and degree of gloss for the finish. The idea of a glossy finish on my floors is appealing but the refinisher (who is very good) says most people don't get the gloss finish but rather the semi-gloss or matt finish. I have no previous experience in the area and no finished floors to compare with. I'd like to know what the drawback of a gloss finish on a floor is. Too much glare off the floor, too slick???? Any input appreciated.

Our new floors in the addition got the semi-gloss finish on the recommendation of both my GC and the flooring sub. The result was outstanding. (These are 11" wide yellow pine, stained/dyed dark to match the pumpkin pine flooring in the original structure)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't have any experience with flooring or floor finishes, but I think I'd stay away from a gloss. The shinier the finish the more likely it will be to show any "uh-oh's" -- scuff marks, anything spilled to dull the finish, etc.
    And now for something completely different....

I refinished my floors a few years back and put down the semi-gloss finish. My FIL loves the glossy finish and that is what he has on his floors. I am not a fan of it but to each his own. One suggestion I got after the fact was to put down two coats of the gloss finish and then put down the semi-gloss or matte as a final coat. The gloss will give you a much better wear surface and the final coat will give you the sheen you desire. It might be worth asking your installer their opinion.
    Good luck,
    Greg

I have not put a gloss finish on a floor in any house in 10 years mostly because the shine outdoes everything else in a house and tends to look cheap. It also shows scratches like crazy.

Semi is good.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Building with gloss then finishing with satin is a good idea in most cases.

The flattening agents in the satin can obscure the finish some with heavy builds. I doubt one is any more durable than another.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks for the feedback and information gentlemen. I'll ask the contractor about making the first 2 coats gloss with a different top coat.

This thread was moved here to get better exposure since it is "finish" related.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.