Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworking school

Smile Woodworking Schools

I would most highly recommend Lonnie Bird's Woodworking Essentials class. It is very challenging. Lonnie limits his class to 9 students so there is plently of individual attention. I am going back for my second class in 2 weeks.

Hey, I just remembered the Colorado Springs Woodcraft sometimes features classes taught by Brian Huber. Huber is a local guy who's work resembles that of David Marks. You can see examples on his web site.

http://www.hubelhi.com/

I plan to sign up for some of his classes. Give the Colorado Springs Woodcraft a call. The staff there are way cool. They'll tell about any upcoming Brian Huber classes.

The Springs can be under an hour away from Denver on the weekends, depending how far North you are. And the Woodcraft is right off the I-25 Freeway. It doesn't get much more practical than that!

3. Totally agree

Hey Pat,

I have taken a couple of class's at this woodcraft and they are good. I totally agree that brian is a very good instructer. He is very thourough and explains things in an easy to understand manner no matter what your level. He does WW for a living as well.

Peter

I'll second the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport Maine. Not exactly near Denver, but a great place to spend some time. They have two week workshops in the summer. Check out the web site at www.woodschool.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Ray,

What do you want to build or produce?

What he said.

Can't go wrong with...

You can't go wrong with Kelly Mehler's school. I've taken a course there and will go back as soon as I can.

Pat

Ray,

Another question for you. Do you want to design your own projects, or build something from plans? If you lean toward the design process, you might consider one of the great design schools, such as the Rhode Island School of Design (where Tag Frid taught), College of the Redwoods, Center for Furniture Craftsmanship (Rockport, Maine) or others of equal quality.

The other choice, if it were my choice, would be to work with someone like Michael Fortune, or any of several dozen master craftsmen.

Live near Franktown, so CS is only about 45 miuntes away.

Yes, I want to start designing my own stuff. The classes that I plan to take at Red Rocks (community college) School of Fine Woodworking (that I mentioned above) should get me started in that direction. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I have been checking out the websites as you have made your suggestions and I see several that look very appealing.

I was reading this earlier tnen got the WWJ ezine in my inbox with a kisting by state.
    http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ww...m/free.schools
    Use the fence Luke

Ray,

I hope to find the time some day to hit Anderson Ranch, lots of experts like Sam Maloof come in for 1 week classes. Enjoy.

http://www.andersonranch.org/worksho...shops-overview
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kevin Davis
    Carmel Group

College of the Redwoods

Ray,
    From what you describe as your choice of woodworking. The college of the redwoods in fort bragg california should be checked out. They really get into the design, jointery etc. of fine cabinets. They have short programs in the summer and the price is right. They also have a good network of inexpensive places to stay. The school was started in the 70s by James Krenov and the instructors are Krenov grads. I had the pleasure of attending last summer, enjoyed every minute. By the way the school web site shows alot of the students work.

Your wife is very nice to offer such a great bday present to a woodworker.

Good luck on your final choice,

Louis Reed

I lived in Denver prior to moving to Pittsburgh four years ago.

I took classes at Red Rocks for about three years and have taken three workshops at Anderson Ranch.

Red Rocks is one of the things I miss most about Denver. It was really nice to spend one or two evenings a week in their well-equipped shop learning from talented instructors that are passionate about what they do. The first couple of classes you take will be mostly introductory and include a little bit of classroom work in addition to the time at the shop. From there you are pretty self-directed and decide what kind of projects you want to build. You'll do the design work and take as much or as little input from the instructors as you want.

The program hired a new director (Rand Richards) about a year before I left Denver. He has taken the program to whole new level. They've expanded their offerings and the projects I see being built on their website are truly amazing. I saw a segment on the program recently on the DIY show "Trade Show" and it made me a little homesick.

Anderson Ranch is great for a variety of reasons - they get top notch instructors, you get exposure to world-class artists in other media in addition to the workshop that you are taking, and the food and lodging are nice. I found that I really enjoyed meeting students and instructors from other workshops during mealtime.

I've taken 1 weekend workshop from Sam Maloof and 2 week-long workshops from Craig Stevens. The Sam Maloof workshop was about what I expected - he's incredibly charismatic in person and has some great stories to tell. We mostly watched him build a chair and did not have any hands-on time.

Craig's workshops blew away all of my expectations. We alternated between demonstrations/talks/q&a sessions and working at our benches under Craig's direction. He is an amazing craftsman and a patient teacher. Craig is offering a two week workshop at Anderson Ranch later this year and if there was any way I could have worked it into my schedule I definitely would have gone.

I can probably ramble all day regarding either Red Rocks or Anderson Ranch. But I wanted to say that after having done both I whole-heartedly recommend both. I'll definitely take another workshop at Anderson Ranch in the next year or two.

Good luck

Hi Ray,
    I have taken about six or seven classes at the Marc Adams School. It is an excellent school and each classes has far surpassed my expectations. I don't think you could make a mistake going there.

Aside from that, if you are really serious about wanting to get into designing your own furniture I would highly reccomend taking some industrial design or architecture classes at a local college. Art classes would probably be good also.

Good luck and let all of us know what your final decision is.

Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Ray,
    Happy birthday. They start coming quicker now. I like the community college idea. They have all the best equipment and will teach you the safety stuff you asked about a couple weeks ago. Take the rest of the $ committed to your gift and buy a library of reference material about joinery and technique. Search your regular "jungle".com for titles that interest you. Topics should include equipment use, design and proportion, wood movement and the classic joints and why they are classics. Those books will become a source for "design" and "how to". When you have the basics you may find yourself wanting to focus on something: chair making, turning, carving or veneering. Then you can look for a teacher who will take your skills to a higher level.
    Since you will be 50, you probably be spending time in your "old guy" rocking chair. You'll always have something to read.
    Faust
    ps. I passed that one long ago - lots of reference books - no rocking chair - just keep on keeping on.