Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking school

Woodworking school

In about 20 months, I turn 50. For my 50th birthday, my wife wants me to do something special ... so I chose going to a week-long woodworking / furniture building school. so here is the question:

If you could go to any woodworking/furniture school, which one would you attend? I am in Denver, and given two equally attractive schools, I would go to the closer.

I have been doing a little bit of woodworking for the past 5 years, and so have gotten many basic skills. That means I would not want a beginners class, but instead, I want something that will push me to the limits of my abilities. I hope/plan to attend some classes at the Red Rocks School of fine Woodworking between now and then. That should help me improve upon my basic skills so that I am ready for a real challenge by the time I have my magic birthday.

Ray,

What do you want to build or produce?

As an example, if you wanted to do chairs of a particular type, that would be a better aim than any one particular school. I think that there are a number of good schools for woodworking, but choosing the right class is as much about your desires as anything else like a skill set.

I think those Chippendale cabinets are awesome, but I have no really interest in producing one, and my house wouldn't be able to hold it...now a Maloof style rocker is another story.

Blog Entries
    What a great birthday present! I think I might ask for the same thing on my 60th. I have no suggestions, but I will be following this thread to to see what the recommendations are!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have taken two courses from Lonnie Bird (he is in eastern TN near Knoxville) and thoroughly enjoyed them and getting to know Lonnie.

http://www.djmarks.com/classes.asp

Would be my first pick. I took a class back in Feb and it was hands down the best IMHO.

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I'm a little biased but, you could always check out my Dad's school:

www.hobbsfurniture.com

Here's a review from a few years ago on Sawmill Creek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/3/
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I would like to design and build fine furniture. I know that is very broad, but I don't know how to refine my definition yet. If you look at pictures from woodworking and fine furniture competitions, you will probably see the kinds of things that I would like to be able to create. Maybe one example is "fine" cabinets. I don't mean kitchen cabinets, but things like in the book "The New Best of Fine Woodworking --Designing and Building Cabinets."

I took a 12 week course at the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport Maine & it was great. I knew a lot going in & new a lot more before I left.They have a lot of very well know people that do courses there. Web site is www.woodschool.org

Blog Entries
    Isn't there a ranch in Colorado that offers such a course? Anderson Ranch Art Center is the one. Google it and you may just go for it. Michael Fortune is there this summer.

Here's a link to a list of woodworking schools on the Taunton web site:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=28165

There are three listed in Colorado. Although, I agree with Dewey. If at all possible, sign up for David Marks classes at his studio in Northern California.

Is there a community college that has woodworking near you? If so, that would be the best place to start. If you've never had any instruction, you need to start with the basics, especially power tool safety. Once you've taken all the classes at the community college, take an advanced course with David Marks, or some similar course. Most of those course are for a very short time, and cost a lot of money so you want to be knowlegeable and prepared before you go.

Like many things, getting good is the result of lots of practice and mistakes - and a community college is a good place to get that practice. It takes time - no short course, no matter who's teaching it, will give you what time and practice will give you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ray,
    IMHO you should narrow it down a little. I've been doing this for 30 years and there is still a ton to learn. I think the first question is are you drawn to hand tools or to faster production? If you want hand tools, there are tons of good classes on how to sharpen, and how to use hand tools. The sharpening is a key aspect, as it's my understanding that the tools need to be razor sharp and that takes a fair bit of time.

I'm personally more drawn to power tools. I recently took a Saturday class from Sam Maloof on how he designs and I loved it. I also learned a ton from reading Fine Woodworking Magazine over the years. In my experience they were more geared towards woodworkers who design their own work and need to learn techniques. Woodcraft and others cater more to those who work from plans.

Do you have anyone who's work you really admire? That would be a great place to start...joe

www.kellymehler.com

Small classes, excellent instruction.

www.marcadams.com

Larger classes, more varied topics than any other school.

Both are excellent choices...given the choice, I like smaller classes.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Ray ,if you are interested in hand tools then I would highly recommend the Homestead Heritage school in Waco, TX. Very nice school, small classes and great staff. And they build award winning furniture

Vijay

for my birthday, I am talking the wife into a trip to British Virgin Islands