Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best chisel-set for $100+?

What's the best chisel-set for $100+?

I know "best" is subjective, but I'd like some opinions.

I want to buy my first set of decent chisels. I need to keep it around $100, maybe $140 max. A peek into my kitchen will reveal that I enjoy fine cutlery; on the other hand, I can't spend a fortune. I need the perfect compromise.

Should I buy 3 chisels to start? Do I need more?....5 maybe? Any recommendations as far which sizes to get?

I like wood handles, not poly.

Any opinions on Two Cherries?

Thanks for any input.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Allen; 04-21-2008 at 6:57 PM.

These are good... I have them.

Good quality steel, made in england. They hold a good edge and will do 90 percent of your woodworking tasks. PLUS... they won't break the bank. You may find the need to add a 1/8th as your first upgrade to this set. Below is link form woodcraft but you may find them cheaper elsewhere:

Scroll down to the bottom for the 4 pc set. for $80

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1833

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Chris,
    I really haven't heard anything bad about the Two Cherries chisels. Most opinions I have seen on them have been good. From another angle, I know you said $140 max. But if you can swing a bit more, I would consider starting with 3 of the Lie-Nielsen chisels at $50 each, and add more as you get the money later on. Top quality that you will never be disappointed with. My preference would be 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" to start, with 1/8" and 1" being the next I would add. Other would tell you to go with 1/2, 3/4, and 1". It all depends on what you plan on doing with them. But th LNs arent the only good chisels out there, so get a number of opinions and go from there.

Dave

I recently purchased a set of Ashley Isles

I recently purchased a set of Ashley Isles, which I really like. I've had no problems with them so far. I bought the set of 6 Bench Chisels. The also come with shorter handles.

I purchased them from The Craftsman Gallery, who seemed to have the best price, at the time.

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/M...page=W/CTGY/HT

Tools For Woodworking also sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
    I know "best" is subjective, but I'd like some opinions.

I want to buy my first set of decent chisels. I need to keep it around $100, maybe $140 max. A peek into my kitchen will reveal that I enjoy fine cutlery; on the other hand, I can't spend a fortune. I need the perfect compromise.

Should I buy 3 chisels to start? Do I need more?....5 maybe? Any recommendations as far which sizes to get?

I like wood handles, not poly.

Any opinions on Two Cherries?

Thanks for any input.

Chris

Two Cherries are good chisels. If you can find the unpolished version of the 2 Cherries you will have less flattening to do as the act of polishing them unflattens the back.

Ashley Isles are also very good chisels made in the traditional English style. they are generally flatter than the average chisel so less work on your part to flatten the backs. If you are willing to spend about $ 140 you can get the whole set from 1/8 to 1 inch, I would get the narrow set as I find the smaller sizes of 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 more useful. Plus a 1 inch size for paring.

Make sure you allow for sharpening in your budget.

Vijay

For Christmas, a woodworking friend gave me a 5/8" Witherby chisel - no handle but I made a handle for it easliy. I was impressed with the chisel and bought a complete set (over time) from 1/8" to 1" through eBay.

If you're not in a hurry, I would recommend buying some older name brand chisels. They're plain carbon steel but work well. And you can spread the expense out over time. Pick the sizes you need first and bid on those, and then expand your set over time.

I'd recommend Witherby and DR Barton. Swan is very good but much more expensive - not that much better but desired by collectors and that pushes the price up. There's a lot of Witherby chisels out there so the prices are reasonable. And it's nice to work with a piece of history.

Mike

[I have a set of LN, also. I won't say that the LN's are better, or the Witherby's are better. They're both good and a bit different in use - but both work very well.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-21-2008 at 7:50 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For Christmas, a woodworking friend gave me a 5/8" Witherby chisel - no handle but I made a handle for it easliy. I was impressed with the chisel and bought a complete set (over time) from 1/8" to 1" through eBay.

If you're not in a hurry, I would recommend buying some older name brand chisels. They're plain carbon steel but work well. And you can spread the expense out over time. Pick the sizes you need first and bid on those, and then expand your set over time.

I'd recommend Witherby and DR Barton. Swan is very good but much more expensive - not that much better but desired by collectors and that pushes the price up. There's a lot of Witherby chisels out there so the prices are reasonable. And it's nice to work with a piece of history.

Mike
    Mike,

This is an excellent recommendation. I was going to say that, but then I thought the O.P wanted to buy something new, hence my comments. I too would recommend a Witherby, Swan or a Giilespie. But these may be harder to find unless you live in New England or mid-Atlantic and can frequent the flea markets or search the big auction site.

Vijay

Blog Entries

I like the used route

Witherby are good chisels as are many of the others.
    Most of my chisels are Witherby and Buck Brothers. There are a few Swan and Barton along with many others.

It is amazing how inexpensive one can get some good old steel.

jim

buy a set

You'll go nuts on Ebay and inevitably score some winners and clinkers with pitted backs. Do youself a favor. If you want/need them now just buy a set recommended then you can browse the garage sales for the treasures. Blow the whole $140.00. Wish I'd gotten that advise. For the long flawless Swan I got for $20.00 I have three that are only good for opening paint cans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    You'll go nuts on Ebay and inevitably score some winners and clinkers with pitted backs. Do youself a favor. If you want/need them now just buy a set recommended then you can browse the garage sales for the treasures. Blow the whole $140.00. Wish I'd gotten that advise. For the long flawless Swan I got for $20.00 I have three that are only good for opening paint cans.
    With all of this good advice, you have to take into account that it is all based on the opinions of those who are giving it.

One can get some nice new chisels for $140.

One can also get some real clinkers if they do not focus on what they want to acquire when shopping the new or used market.

On eBay, others are looking for good users from their screens and will likely see the same ones you are looking at. Sellers will often have no idea what a pit is and will just parrot what other sellers say about similar items listed. I have bought many chisels on eBay and have only felt burned once or twice. Ask questions and for more pictures if needed. With a powered sharpening system, a bunch of chisels can be worked on pretty quickly.

If you go the used route, you will often spend time bringing a chisel into useable shape. I have heard the same lament from people who bought new chisels and had to flatten the backs on their purchase.

No matter what you do, you will have to sharpen your chisels at some time. May as well learn to do it now.

jim

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.

Many folks who have more talent than I like the Two Cherries and Hirsch...

After much toil and research, I went with Hirsch. The polished backs were a complete nightmare; and I will never purchase, use, nor recommend, Hirsch or Two Cherries chisels.

After my struggles, I found that David Charlesworth, and Chris Schwartz are also against these "German" polished back chisels.

For that money, I'd take a very, very close look at Ashley Iles. You can get a set of 6 for < $140.

Good luck.

- jbd in Denver

Blog Entries
    Read this and search for other threads here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13734

jim

I went with the Ashly Iles 6 pc from ToolsForWorkingWood.com after spending some time in their NYC showroom handling the handles, so to speak. They felt most comfortable to me of the several different brands I tried out. I went with the longer handled version. The steel is excellent and I've enjoyed using them more and more in my projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

14. Chris- I am relatively new to woodworking and purchased my first set of chisels last year. I was about to get the Two Cherries when I came across MGH sold by Hartville (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11737); they currently have the set of 6 on sale for under $100. I was able to compare them to most other major brands at woodworking school last summer, and they compared quite favorably. The backs were relatively flat, they sharpened easily enough, and they hold an edge well. They seemed identical to Two Cherry and Pfile, better than Crown, and maybe not as good as LN. LN were harder to sharpen but hold an edge better. However, I like the profile of the MGH/Two Cherry better. I have since added a number of chisels from several companies, but still use my MGH for most things. If you go with MGH and have dollars leftover, you might add an 1/8", a couple of small skew chisels, and good mortise chisels. My mortise chisels are wonderful. They are the pig stickers, which I think are by Ray Isles. Try to avoid polished chisels unless you have a lot of time to tune them. Good luck.
    -Steve

Blog Entries
    Chris,
    I have some used TC's, and 2 AI's for my 'accurate' work. Like Steven, I bought a set of MHG's and I intended to use them for the rougher work, but when they were delivered, I was actually surprised. They are very flat-backed and, so far, have held up pretty well. I did need to get past the initial edge since I found that it seemed a bit soft, but after about an hour at the Tormek and 6k and 8k waterstones, I think I like them even more.

If I had to rank them on a 1-10 scale, I'd give the AI's an 8, the TC's a 7, and the MHG's a 6 1/2.
    For the money, they are pretty nice.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 04-22-2008 at 3:50 PM.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com