Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best chisel-set for $100+?

I first bought the blue handle Marples chisels from Lowes and was realitively pleased with them. A little soft but good for the price.

Last year I bought the Two Cherries set. I have not experience the problems that other have (rounded back) I didn't have to do much at all to flatten the back of them and they take and hold a very very sharp edge that have been very durable for me.

I also hear very good things about the Ashley Isles but don't have any experience with them.

Wow those MGHs are on sale for $79.99! I've read suggestions to avoid the polished version of the Two Cherries chisels because it adds alot of work to flattening them, is this a problem with MGH also? i ask because the item description describes them as polished...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McLoon View Post
    Chris- I am relatively new to woodworking and purchased my first set of chisels last year. I was about to get the Two Cherries when I came across MGH sold by Hartville (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11737); they currently have the set of 6 on sale for under $100. I was able to compare them to most other major brands at woodworking school last summer, and they compared quite favorably. The backs were relatively flat, they sharpened easily enough, and they hold an edge well. They seemed identical to Two Cherry and Pfile, better than Crown, and maybe not as good as LN. LN were harder to sharpen but hold an edge better. However, I like the profile of the MGH/Two Cherry better. -Steve

Love my AI's

Like Jim, I too went with a 6 piece set from Joel at TFWW. I have Marples Blue Chips (older set) Nootendaghects (sp??) and a bunch ofolder (read good steel) odds-n-ends (bucks, witherby's, etc) but the AI's are just a joy to hold and use, I look forward to every time I get to !!
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Wow those MGHs are on sale for $79.99! I've read suggestions to avoid the polished version of the Two Cherries chisels because it adds alot of work to flattening them, is this a problem with MGH also? i ask because the item description describes them as polished...
    I do not have personal experience with these, but my take is that the act of polishing introduces the dubbing and the unflat condition, since it is done using floppy wheels (or soft media).

And since it is purely cosmetic, why not buy the unpolished chisels which are more flat (at least in the case of 2 Cherries which is the same factory that makes Hirsch and possibly the MHG)

Vijay

As I understand it, different factories make Two Cherries, Hirsch, and MHG. That said, however, the standards for quality control, manufacturing process and quality of steel in Germany are so stringent that the differences between these makers is IMHO only cosmetic. I have a set of the metric MHG and I like them. I have a set of 4 Ashley Iles chisels 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1" in the small handles and I like them better. I will probably add a 3/8" so that I have a bench chisel that matches each of my mortise chisels. I bought my Ashley Ilses at the same place Mike did and I also got the skew chisels which have the large handles. For me, the small handle Ashley Iles are the most comfortable. I think The Best Things has the best price right now on Ashley Iles and you could get a set of 6 for right in your price range.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the great info here. All the replies and opinions have steered me in the right direction.

After some reading and researching, I've narrowed it down to these two options:
    1. The historic route. I really like the idea of using a 100+ year old tool. Especially if I won't be sacrificing any quality. I saw a few Witherbys on eBay, and they seem very appealing.
    2.) Iles. If I decide to buy new, this is what I'll get. From the looks of it: high quality without all the bells and whistles.

I'm leaning towards number 1 right now, this morning I thought I'd go with number 2. We'll see how I feel tomorrow

I'll update this post when I make my decision. Thanks again.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
    2.) Iles. If I decide to buy new, this is what I'll get. From the looks of it: high quality without all the bells and whistles.
    Oh you can get the Isles with bells and whistles too for a little more $ .

I got my Isles set of 11 for less than a set of 5 LN with the leather roll. They cost a little more now but still worth it in my opinion. Steel is the same as the standard Isles bench chisels, just a different handle.

I was thinking that exact thought, but saw the link to those MGH chisels and the price on them. Funny thing, when I surf for that Two Cherries unpolished set (seems to be referred to as "special"), it's more expensive than the polished set! I wonder if everyone has been following this advise and the price has adjusted accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    I do not have personal experience with these, but my take is that the act of polishing introduces the dubbing and the unflat condition, since it is done using floppy wheels (or soft media).

And since it is purely cosmetic, why not buy the unpolished chisels which are more flat (at least in the case of 2 Cherries which is the same factory that makes Hirsch and possibly the MHG)

Vijay

Another vote for 2-3 Lie Nielsen's. I have the 1/4", 1/2", and 1". Another good option is 1/8", 3/8", and 3/4", or really any mix depending on the type of work you do.

Blog Entries
    I like the Isles and a few other modern makers.

My wife does not like the idea of me spending that much money for chisels.

I showed here a sale ad on the LNs one time. She said, "buy the ones on eBay, they cost less."

She has since never questioned my buying old chisels.

As a tool, the Ashley Isles, Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen work best for me as a picture with a price tag. Show them to the wife and she will let me buy just about anything else I may want.

jim

I think you're on the right track.

Heck, try a few oldies first - there is a wealth of information here about that process. Search and read Bob Smalser as gospel. If you aren't satisfied, grab the AI's.

Envy you your journey...
    - jbd

Chris, do you have a lathe? Or do you know someone who will turn handles for you? If so and if you decide to go the old iron eBay route, look for unhandled chisels. Your $$ will go much farther buying unhandled chisels, and making your own custom handles is lots of fun. Recently a bunch of unused, old stock, unhandled Swans sold on eBay for 1/2 what you'd expect to pay for beat up ones with handles.

Chisels

This is a favorite subject of mine and one for which I get a good bit of ribbing.
    My workbench cabinet has a remarkable number of chisels stored in it.
    Many years ago I was satisfied with a set of Stanley yellow plastic-handled chisels (carpenter's chisels) and I kept them well sharpened and handy. then along came a full set of Marples blue chips which were likewise razor sharp, but proved to be too brittle. So I went looking for better. The Hirsch set was next and I spent an inordinate amount of time flattening and sharpening them, but could never get used to the shape of the blades (cross section) and handles. (And I never really liked them). Some fine old Marples mortise chisels are in the drawers as well.
    I bought some beautiful dovetail chisels from the Japan Woodworker and found them to be a delight (but not for everyday use). The next step was a great old set (9) of Stanley 750's. Flattened and sharpened, they are wonderful in the hand.
    But ...along came a set of 10 of the Lie-Nielsen chisels a few years ago. I can honestly say that the others are just gathering dust now. I like everything about them. the balance, the feel , the way they hold an edge, the shape...
    My wife, and others, ask me if I'd just want to sell off the other sets of chisels...
    But then I wouldn't have as many tools....

Good luck on your decision, but if you can, see how they feel in YOUR hands - that's what really matters.

I have these somewhat cheap chisels by a company called Footprint: http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1230...9005575&sr=8-4

They seem to work fine. I'm actually curious if anyone else has impressions of them because these are the only chisels I've ever had, and I wonder sometimes if I'm missing out on something.

The Two Cherries issue that David Charlesworth talks about in his book is not the backs but the corners of the sides are not square but rounded over slightly from polishing..

So you can use the to get a perfectly square corner paring, I measured mine and they have a .010 radius thats less that 1/64"

Myself I have a few old chisels that I ground a 15 degree angle on for dovetail and corner work..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource