Thread: Question re dc hookup on Delta lunchbox planer

Question re dc hookup on Delta lunchbox planer

I have a Delta 13" 2-speed lunchbox planer (model 22-580 I believe) and am wondering if anyone has built or knows of a better duct collection hood. I have 6" run right up to the machine at which point it chokes down to 4" and then into that narrow rectangular opening on the standard dust hood. Seems to me that this is not very effecient and that there has to be a better way. I don't get a lot of chips ejected when planing but enough to be annoying.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L

I have no problem with my 22-580 with a 4" hose running back to the DC. However, I noticed that it can leak a lot around where the hood meets the motor housing, and maybe you are losing a lot of suction in that area. Try making or improving the gasket seal?

I use a short 4" hose to a 5" adapter then to my PennState 1 1/2 hp dc. I hardly have any chips left in the 22-580 after a job. Actually, the dust collector unit is the only good thing about the 22-580. I am very tired of pushing boards through the feed rollers. I have done every suggestion under the sun, only milling 1/32" at a time, etc., etc. The feed rollers are just junk. I would get rid of it if I had any money. It's a worthless **@##.

There was a guy at WN that completely redesigned the dust chute. I saved the link but it's no longer accessable. As I recall, this guy used a wide rectangular register duct that reduced to a 4" pipe. I did see someone say they bent the metal plate and chute up about an inch in the center and had good success too.

I use the stock Delta chute hooked up to my 1.5 hp collector and have ZERO chips escaping the system. Are you sure you have the chute properly installed?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I have a Delta 13" 2-speed lunchbox planer (model 22-580 I believe) and am wondering if anyone has built or knows of a better duct collection hood. I have 6" run right up to the machine at which point it chokes down to 4" and then into that narrow rectangular opening on the standard dust hood. Seems to me that this is not very efficient and that there has to be a better way. I don't get a lot of chips ejected when planing but enough to be annoying.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L
    Larry,

I used to have all sorts of problems with dust collection including chips clogging up the dust hood (DH) and then nothing would work! BTW, do you have the clogging problem?

In any event, read somewhere that if you squeeze the sides of the DH thus getting the middle of the DH wider, you get both more air movement and much, much less DH clogging. Since doing this, I've only clogged maybe once every couple of months versus once/twice a week! (Kind of think that maybe mine was worse than normal but it works great now so what the heck).

Try it, you'll like it!

HTH, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate your time.

Josiah: I have noticed the same thing and install a piece of duct tape over the area and it seems to control it.

Robert: I don't have many chips at all left over but when the planer gets to the trailing end of the board and passes under the front roller it ejects a few chips. Not many, but just enough to be annoying. I have had instances where the rollers grab and I do agree that it is irritating because it seems to happen on the last pass on your best board but, in general, I really like the planer.

Mike: I would love to see that setup as I think a larger opening at the right angle is the ticket.

Maurice: I think so. There seems to be only one way to install it. That said, stranger things have happened so I will look tonight.

Joseph: I have had clogs when I have hogged wood off maple boards (only had it happen with maple for some reason) but has not happened since I upgraded my collection to a cyclone. I think it had to do with not enough volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate your time.

Mike: I would love to see that setup as I think a larger opening at the right angle is the ticket.
    Here's the inactive link. Maybe someone smart w/ the internet can resurrect it:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2650466

possibly a way to find that post Mike

Mike do you have any idea what year and month that post may have originally been made? Here is a link to the inernet way back machine. Using it may be the solution.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...ms.woodnet.net

I do recall discussion from "awhile back" about folks crafting a new hood for the 22-380 to make it more efficient. I believe you can start with a register boot and go from there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chip collection is not a problem for me with the 22-580 planer. I purchased the accessory 50-446 collector, even my 2" shop vac hose catches nearly all the chips. I have some advice concerning the feed rollers. These sort of laminate with wood chips and will cause the infeed board to stall. I use a toothbrush to clean the rollers of chips after a couple of runs using the bottom stainless steel support as a mirror to guide the cleaning process while the planer is in operation. No more stalling.
    Last edited by Brad Pearce; 05-26-2008 at 7:53 PM.

The problem with Woodnet is that their pages expire after a certain amount of time, and then they are gone. They don't archive at all. That is the beauty of the Creek, you never lose the information.
    Alan Johanson from the Wood magazine DC forum has some information he will send you on a constructed hood for the 22-580. It was originally from another forum, and he was working on getting permission to re-introduce the information there, but evidently hasn't gotten it yet. Go to that forum and do a search on 22-580, click the first offering at the top left, then navigate down to the 5th post, it is by Alan and he has instructions to email him for the information. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hi Jim,

If you follow that thread down to the last two messages you may find something interesting.

I asked Allan if the mod was to increase the size on the chip collection side or if it was just to allow a bigger pipe to be attached from the dust collector. Allan's answer is instructive. Based on the central issue in this discussion, I'm not sure the info Allan has will be much use.

...ken...

Robert,
    Have you tried waxing the planer bed to help the boards feed better? That will make a big difference.