Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got an e-mail from David Marks He says hi.

Blog Entries

Got an e-mail from David Marks He says hi.

I had e-mailed him a picture of the Humidor I built in a style like his Egyptian dresser. The link got lost in the mix but he still replied personally. He said to say Hi to Mark Singer. He met Mark a couple years ago. He also said to say Hi to Sascha Gast. He said you guys are very talented. In addition he said he's heard lots of wonderful things about SMC I'll send him new pics and hopefully they get to the other side. I think that's pretty nice of him to respond personally even though he didn't get the pics. He is quite an inspiration to me. I only hope I get to meet him personally some day.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Awesome, Bill!

David also replied to an email and picture I sent him a few months ago. That guy is way cool! He has an amazing ability to remember people and their names.

I don't think I know Sascha, but I've seen some of Mark Singer's work here on SMC and, obviously, I agree that he's very talented. I also greatly appreciate Mark's posts.

"Yo, David."
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    "Yo, David."

Chris,

As a Moderator, I wonder if anyone has ever invited David, or Norm, or any of the various celebrities to SMC?

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I invited Steve Gass, owner/founder of SawStop, over one time and he graciously accepted and still posts from time to time.

I have not reached out to anyone else. Shiraz, owner of Grizzly, chimes in every once in a while as well...dunno if anyone invited him over.

I'd say if an appropriate thread comes up, anyone here should feel free to reach out and extend a handshake to any of these 'celebrities' of woodworking. It would only be too cool to see David or Norm post over here once in a while. As a mod, I'm no more "special" than anyone else around here; I just appear to have "god-like" powers! hahaha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    It would only be too cool to see David or Norm post over here once in a while.
    I agree, that would be cool, seeing how most of us on here, got started, kept safe (Norm's friendly reminder at the beginning of every show, you all know how it started), and was inspired to try knew techniques by these two craftsmen. So yeh, it would be very cool, if they stopped by to say hello. Let's add to them Tommy Silva, Richard Trethewey, and the rest of the gang on TOH. These are all the guys that I really enjoy watching and learning from. They truly are the "craftsman's craftsman".

There are quite a few of the new "flashy craftspeople" on DIY and HGTV, that are clearly not very hands on, but are more a tv personality than anything else, and I often find myself scratching my head at some of the "techniques" they attempt.

So Norm, David, Tommy, Richard, Kevin, and Roger if you ever have time, I know that you probably don't, but stop by SMC and say hello, it would be 'cool' to have you here. Regards, Bill
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-22-2008 at 4:12 PM.

So Norm, David, Tommy, Richard, Kevin, and Roger if you ever have time, I know that you probably don't, but stop by SMC and say hello, it would be 'cool' to have you here. Regards, Bill
    (The above is a quote from Anthony A.)

Ditto!!!
    Last edited by Matt Ocel; 04-22-2008 at 4:32 PM.

I'm hoping to get Paul Bunyan's sutograph one of these days.
    And now for something completely different....

I also got a reply from him. I gave him a coin from our command and he asked for the pics to be e-mailed to him. He replied and I was shocked because he clearly told us (Pat Germain and I) in the class that he rarely has time to e-mail.

Bill, glad to hear he know a few people here on SMC.

A agree it would be awesome to see a post from him. I bet Marc Spagnuolo
    could talk him into a post. Those two are pretty close actually.

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    He is quite an inspiration to me. I only hope I get to meet him personally some day.

Yes, you should meet him, he is really great.

I was taking a bent lamination class of his at the Dallas Woodcraft store. Things were not going smoothly and we stayed till about 9 pm that night to finish up. At 7 pm my wife called my cell wanting to know where I was. I put David on the phone and he talked to her for a couple of minutes and thanked her for understanding the time frame. She couldnt believe she had talked to a TV star, he seemed so down to earth was her reply. Way cool.
    He used to make some of the touring WW shows and we still talk about that class.
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

David is such a nice guy, I gotta go see him one day again, I don't think I have ever been so relaxed as when I was in his studio a few years back, great time.
    Sascha

David is a great woodworker and a terrific guy as well. I am always amazed at his vast and varied techniques in woodworking and finishing. I think all of us can learn a great deal from David.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries
    I had the opportunity to take a class with David last year and he was such a down to earth, gracious gentleman. It's too bad that his show only lasted a few seasons, but it sounds like DIY really hosed him on the whole deal. O well.

I emailed him after the class and he didn't respond, but his wife did since he was still on the Woodcraft class tour. It was a really nice personal email.

The Marks family is a class act.

Blog Entries
    When I send him more pics I'll be sure to invite him to SMC
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill you should let him know we have some other top pro's posting such as Malcom Tibbets over in the turner forum. And for those who haven't seen Malcoms work you should visit his website.

Bob