Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Resaw Blades for the Money?

Best Resaw Blades for the Money?

Who manufactures the best resaw blades for the money?
    And are the teeth carbide?

According to the Ittura bandsaw catalogue I just received the Lennox tri-master wins top honors, and yes, it has carbide teeth. They make them for 14" saws in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sizes too.

The best I have personally used is from Suffolk machine, a 1/2" Timberwolf 3TH.

The laguna carbide resaw blades look pretty good in the unretouched video close ups on their DVD, and they claim theirs is the best. They start at 1" which my saw won't run

Guess it depends on who you ask and which saw.

Lenox TriMaster and their new WoodMaster CT. The TriMaster, with proper setups and stock support/guidance, cuts nearly as smooth as a table saw. The downside is the kerf width. When that's an issue, I stick with the Timberwolf 1/2" or 3/4" blades.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since you said "for the money", I'd have to throw in the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Reasonable price with very good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bess View Post
    Since you said "for the money", I'd have to throw in the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Reasonable price with very good results.
    Yep, have to agree here.

Although I have used the tri-master, and it cuts great, it also cost about $145.00 for my 18" Rikon.
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tinley View Post
    Although I have used the tri-master, and it cuts great, it also cost about $145.00 for my 18" Rikon.
    For someone that cuts a lot, carbide is more economical in the long run since it lasts so much longer. However, if it already takes a long time to wear out a regular blade, then carbide may not make sense.

I wanted to start a thread a few weeks back, but the OP gave me the perfect opportunity.

Last summer I saw an eBay listing that caught my eye for a 1/2" x 3TPI carbide tipped resaw blade in 93" length. I use a 113" in my saw, and sent the seller an email stating such. He replied with "I can have one made for you @ 113" for $50." He wouldn't tell me where he got them made, saying that the local hardware store in his area of Ohio didn't even do mail order business - only cash & carry. Needless to say, I PayPal'ed him immediately. A week and a half later, the blade arrived. I've used it to cut an African Blackwood log quarter section at 8" width x 38" length. That's some of the densest wood on the planet! And this with only a 10 amp (.75HP) motor!

Fast forward to this February: I realized what a bargain this was, so I sent the fellow in Ohio another email asking for 2 more blades of the same length. I even offered him a bonus - $75 per blade plus shipping (that's $.056 per inch!) 2 weeks later I received those 2 blades, so I've got backups to my original.

Problem is, I know at some point I'll be looking for a larger saw, like Grizzly's G0636X and would like to use this same blade on it. I'm attaching pics of the blade in the hopes that somebody here will recognize it and help identify the stock it comes from. I've checked Lennox and Laguna and I'm certain it comes from neither of them. I used to use the Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware, but since this carbide tipped one cuts so smoothly with little waver and a scant .045" kerf (blade back is only .025" wide) it saves me lots of time and money. Notice the pic of ebony headstock veneers I cut from 4/4 stock @ .090" (pic). I might add that I'm using the Band-roller blade guides with this blade.

Anybody recognize this blade stock?
    Last edited by Jack Briggs; 04-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I used to use Woodslicers as they are only around $40 give or take. I swithced recently to the Lennox bi-metals at the same price. I had been using them to rip thick stock and noticed the cut wasn't all that bad. I'm going to clean up a re-saw cut anyway. They cost around $45 for my saw.

The bi-metal will last about 5 times longer than a carbon. The Tri-master carbide will last about 10-14 (depends on who you ask) longer. For my 18" saw the carbide is around $200 +. So... I can get 5 of the bi-metals for the same price as the carbide translating to 5 x 5= 25 as opposed to 10-14 times longer with a carbide.

And someone will mention that the carbide will give a smoother cut than bi-metal... true.. but not smooth enough that it will still not need cleaning up IMO. So... a dollar is a dollar when gas prices will reach $4 soon.

Sarge..

How do the Timberwolf's "Silicon Steel" blades fit into that? Are they bi-metal or more similar to carbon steel? Has anyone used a 1" Timberwolf blade? (I have a 3/4" but am considering getting either a Lennox or Timberwolf 1".)

I purchased some of the 1/2 woodslicers from Highland woodworking and found them to be pretty good. I used them for resawing some 4x8 x 8-ft down to 1x8's worked well on my craftsman 14" saw

I originally started with the Timberwolf blades, but after trying a Woodslicer blade, I don't think I'll be going back.

My .02.

Keith

Have you tried the Woodslicer 3/4" blade? Everyone mentions the 1/2" but I haven't seen any reviews of the 3/4".

The Olson MVP is another inexpensive bimetal blade that works really well
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    Have you tried the Woodslicer 3/4" blade? Everyone mentions the 1/2" but I haven't seen any reviews of the 3/4".
    Peter,
    I've had one strung on both of the 17" Grizzly's I've had. Other than not lasting as long as a Trimaster, they're fine. I will eventually buy one to appease my curiosity on how much longer they last... but the woodslicer is hard to beat at less than $40.
    I've resawn up to 10" hard maple and can't say the blade was anything but damned good.
    Reminds me I need to order another one actually.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I will have to try one out as soon as I dull my Timberwolf.