Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220 Outlet Wired Straight from the Box?

220 Outlet Wired Straight from the Box?

I seem to recall someone saying their breaker box was in their gar-shop and they had wired a 220 outlet directly to it (without running an outlet in the wall.)

Has anyone done this? Is it safe? Do you know of any instructions around doing this?

Thanks.

Not quite following you.
    You mean an outlet IN the breaker box?
    Or a box with an outlet in it fastened directly to the breaker box?
    We usually have an outlet available to connect corded equipment and it's location is relative to how long the cord on the equipment is and how far you are from the breaker box. It's possible to use a rather long cord (within reason), making sure you've accounted for voltage drop (use heavy enough gauge wire), or run some sort of surface mounted cable that's protected from damage (like up and over), or put the wire in some sort of raceway and located the outlet conveniently to the equipment.

- Jim

I don't understand the question.

Are you asking whether you can run a receptacle in another building without a disconnecting means, or are you asking if you can run a branch circuit from your distribution panel to a receptacle in your garage?

regards, Rod.

Do you mean that someone directly connected a piece of machinery to a breaker in their box without using a disconnect or receptical? I wouldn't do that, I would wire in a disconnect if I was going to hardwire a piece of machinery (like an air compressor or dust collector).

My understanding is that if the breaker box is "in sight" of the tool, then it can satisify the disconnect requirement and you can wire directly without a receptacle. Wiring receptacles are easy though. Why not add a receptacle? I personally like to see the power cord laying on the ground clearly disconnected while working on a tool (e.g., changing blades).

Sounds like a hardwire to the breaker box. There are different rules to govern hardwired or directwired equipment. I don't know them but they are different from equipment that has a plug on it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Warford View Post
    My understanding is that if the breaker box is "in sight" of the tool, then it can satisify the disconnect requirement and you can wire directly without a receptacle. Wiring receptacles are easy though. Why not add a receptacle? I personally like to see the power cord laying on the ground clearly disconnected while working on a tool (e.g., changing blades).
    Correct, and also within 50 feet.
    - Jim

Still, I would rather have a disconnect that I can turn off the power to the machine and run a padalock through - I guess doing hot work in the oil patch has that effect.

If you are saying that someone ran something like 10ga wire directly from the breaker and at the other end of the wire was a plug, then I would say Why?

why not just run a short length of conduit out of the box, terminate it in receptacle/junction box, run the wire through the conduit, attach the appropriate amp recepticle and call it done. dollar wise it's not expensive to it correctly.

Just make a longer 220v extension cord for the tool.

Joe,

p.s. I am not an electrician. Just looking at it from a pragmatic standpoint.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mims View Post
    Correct, and also within 50 feet.
    - Jim
    When I was wiring my shop last year the state inspector required a switch for all hard wired equipment. Receptacle was not required even when the service panel was not in the same room. All my hard wired pieces also had a dedicated breaker. Not sure if it is a NEC requirement.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Kurki; 04-23-2008 at 8:39 PM.

Said more plainly, my breaker box is in my garage/shop and I am trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to run 220 to it, without having to hire an electrician, if possible.

I wasn't sure if people were wiring directly to their boxes or not. That seems a little too risky for me. Steven and Roger, your idea sounds better, plugging in and out seems safer.

Joe, your suggestion sounds like a great solution, except I made a mistake. There is a breaker panel in my garage, not a breaker box, so I can't hang conduit out of the bottom the way I could with a box. I like the idea, though.

Sounds like the best alternative is to install an outlet in the wall just below my panel and run an extension cord to it. Soujnd about right?

Well, your "panel" is actually a box...it just isn't surface-mounted!

I agree with your last sentence.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding ... maybe i've got my directions crossed...

You have a main service panel in your garage - that's what runs the entire house, yes?

You said "trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to run 220 to it". This is what confuses me.

If you're trying to run a 220 circuit FROM it, I'm with you. If that's the case, I can't see any risk involved running a 220v outlet from it if you have enough breaker space and such. What risk do you think is there?

Now if you're trying to run 220 TO it like you said, I'm all sorts of confused. It makes me wonder if that's your main service panel and that you don't have any electricity going to it or you have something that just isn't translating into my brains very well.

Maybe everyone else gets it and I'm the only one in the dark?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Jason,

You are right. FROM it.

The risk was if I hard-wired rather than ran an outlet. I was also trying to avoid replacing an existing 110 outlet, rerunning the wire, replacing the breaker, etc. Now I see it wouldn't be hard to just run a new outlet in the wall very near the breaker panel.

All,

Best online resource for wiring instructions?

Thanks.

Aha!!!

Now i understand! Jeeze, it just wasn't clickin' before. Sorry for all that!

Online resource for wiring instructions ... HERE!

Edit: I have one of those B&D wiring books that you can get at the borg that really cleared it up for me. I can't say I've got much else to offer for the online versions - i've never hunted for the stuff online except for this place.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com