Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Hollow Form

Another Hollow Form

Spalted birch, #19 in the series, 9” diameter x 4 ¼” high, sanded to 400 grit, 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly. Will wait for a week or longer for the poly to dry before buffing.

HF #19 V1.JPG HF #19 V2.JPG HF #19 V3.JPG HF #19 V4.JPG HF #19 V5.JPG

As always, comments and critiques are appreciated!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve that is another beauty. Love your form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve,
    Your workmanship is impeccable! I find the sides to be a bit "snubby." If there were less of them I think it would improve the form dramatically.

Just my $000.00000002 which is about all it's worth.

Burt

Superb Steve! Is this the one you were trying out your new carbide cutter on! WTG..Bill..

Hi Steve, that is one nice piece of wood, not so happy you got it and i haven't but thats life Love the form, i have never got around to turning a simula form, something i keep wanting to do but never got the time then forget, just stuck it back on my todo list so i don't forget. Really nice piece..LB

That's a great bit of work -Steve as all your work is she's a real beaut.

What sort of thickness do you try aim for with your hollow forms of that shape, and do you use any laser guide on that shape or just use callipers frequently and go slowly.

David
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Thanks everyone for your kind comments - I do appreciate it!

William - Yup - this is the hollow form I was working on when I got to try out my new carbide cutter!

David - I try to get the form down to 3/16" to 1/4" overall and I do use a laser. I find my limiting factor is the wood itself - as I turn pieces with natural voids, checks and inclusions and there are times I prefer to have the wood a little thicker just to keep it from fragmenting.
    Steve

Beautifully done Steve! ...but then we've come to expect that of you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Once again Steve you knock one out of the park. Really beautiful choice of wood and a great form and finish.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

G'day Steve,
    I like your hollow form, but, if you don't mind me saying so, it screams at me asking for some decoration. But, that's me, I can't leave things alone any more.... . Often plain simple lines are the best, particularly with a figured piece. Your piece in still very nice.
    Jim
    If you think you are too small to make a difference,
    Try sleeping in a dark room with a mosquito.

Excellent work,real nice form and grain.

Dennis

Steve,
    Another beauty, as noticed by others. Assume you have a market for them or a very large house to fill. If the former, without giving away company secrets or confidential info., could you share a little market information, price range for hollow forms, and stuff like that with us?

It is easy enough to calc. matl. cost plus hours to arrive at potential price for a piece. But that may bear no relation to the price at which a piece would actually sell.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard - I don't have a market for my turnings (yet) or a large house to store everything in. You can ask my neighbor Bob - I've got finished turnings stacked all over the shop and in various spots throughout the house. I do hope to be able to start selling them sometime this year - not sure exactly how, when or what price I can get for anything - but sales has been my goal all along.
    Steve

Steve,
    Your stuff looks great, so there should be a market out there somewhere if you can just find it. Am trying to get connected with a small local gallery, and dealing with the "what's it for" question. Will try a few small pieces that appear to be "for" something (little bowls, jewelry boxes, bud vases), and maybe, in the fullness of time, work our way toward turned wood as art. Seldom does one ask of a painting or fine photographic print, "what's it for".

We have a terrific local turner and truly an artist (unlike self), very active in woodturning circles (as it were), and I think that fewer than a couple dozen people know he's here. But could be wrong about that.

Anyhow, best of luck with finding your market and bringing in a few $$ to support the obsession, er, hobby.
    Richard in Wimberley

That's another in your long and growing line of hollow forms. I really like the forms and the finish is perfect. When you come up with a plan for selling your work, how about letting me know how you do it. I'm also starting to accumulate quite a gallery here at my house.