Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walker Turner Band Saw

Question Walker Turner Band Saw

Hello everyone, Does anyone have any knowledge of this bandsaw? It is on craigslist in my area. the owner says it runs, only one speed. I am not faamiliar with the brand. he is asking $125.

- John

Woodworking is my ticket to sanity!

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

I'd buy.
    That message is too short. I'd buy.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    WT is a very good name. $125 is a steal if everything is in one piece.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Do a search here, my father picked one up a couple years ago for a lot more money than that. If it is in good shape and runs, I think it would be a steal.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Unless there's something broken or missing, that's a good price. It's a 16" saw, all cast iron. Walker Turner has been out of business for some years, but you can find manuals and information on www.owwm.com
    You should plan on replacing tires and bearings.

Pete

I have a 16" Walker Turner bandsaw. I just love it. It can resaw 8" of oak with the original 1/2 HP motor.

One thing to check on these bandsaws: the trunnion and table tilt mechanism tended to be a little on the weak side, so make sure that it's in operating condition. They can be repaired, if you know how do do basic machine shop stuff, or know someone who does.

If the table tilt mechanism is in good shape, I'd jump on it for that price.

That thing is junk. Both Walker and Turner were bums. You're in MA, I'm in CT, and while gas is expensive as a public service if you give me the address I'll go get that piece of iron out of that guys way right now.

Seriously, I'd jump at that. I know a guy with a few pieces of Walker Turner equipment (BS, shaper and jointer I think) all nice stuff. And for $125? If it runs at all its a steal you wont regret.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 04-23-2008 at 8:44 PM. Reason: lost a word somewhere

Smile Thanks Guys!

Sounds like it is a no brainer. i will be contacting the owner and hopefully picking it up this weekend!!!
    - John

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

Agree with others... Walker and Turner was at one time like mentioning Brooks Bros. Suits... if you did everyone knew what you were referring to and the word "quality" shone in the reflection of the words and product.

Sarge..

They make for nice restoration projects and once restored run well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Agree with others... Walker and Turner was at one time like mentioning Brooks Bros. Suits... if you did everyone knew what you were referring to and the word "quality" shone in the reflection of the words and product.

Sarge..

Unlike Brooks Brothers, at least Walker Turner had the decency to go out of business before they let their quality go to H***.

My father had a 16" Walker Turner bandsaw just like the OP's photos. I used it a lot when I was a kid. Unfortunatley, he sold it when I was in College. It was a really good saw, heavy and stable. WT makes great stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $125 for that saw if it's in reasonably decent shape. There are parts available and rebuild help if you need it. Look at OWWM.com or get in touch with Walker Turner Serviced Machinery, LLC in Coventry, Connercticut (wtsmllc@juno.net). They specialize in reconditioning Walker Turner machinery. They have lots of parts and are very helpful.

Hank

I bought my WT 16" bandsaw for $400 and consider it a bargain. At $125 it's a steal even if it didn't have a motor.

One word of caution though. Those old WT bandsaws are HEAVY. Even the wheel covers are cast iron, so make sure you have a good hand-truck and some help. You don't even want to think about moving that thing by yourself.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Unhappy Waited too long...

I should not have waited even 1 day. Contacted the owner yesterday and the saw was sold already. I will know better next time, thanks everyone!!
    - John

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Too bad. You missed a great deal.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

After reading all those posts, I was looking for the final one getting home the prized possession. Keep hunting, I want another bandsaw now. I sure like old North American Iron.